1st outdoor grow - violator kush in air pot

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by greennewb, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Greetings All,

This year I have decided to grow my first outdoor plant! I've been growing inside for a while now, but this year I thought I'd try to grow one outside in my backyard and I am crazy excited!. I have a basement walk-up that I feel gets enough light and can still function as a shield to block any neighbours seeing anything. If I'm really worried, I can put it in my greenhouse which is very difficult to see through and it will be surrounded by other plants (although I am a little worried it may be too hot and humid in there).

I have germinated my Violator Kush seed indoors in a Jiffy pellet already. This will be first planted in a smaller pot for now and later transplanted into an air pot. I'm really excited to use this type of pot. I've read a lot of good things about air pots and this is the first time I'll be using one.

I will be using a triple mix soil blend with peat moss, composted manure and humus which I will be mixing with some perlite as well. It's been a while since I've grown in soil. I mostly use hempy buckets or DWC indoors, but I figured a soil medium would be best for outside.

My nutrient line is General Hydroponics. I'll be using Micro, Grow, Bloom, Diamond Nectar, Flora Nectar, Floralicious Plus, and Liquid Koolbloom.

I'll be posting updates here probably every week and hoping that my first outdoor grow goes smoothly. If anyone who grows outside regularly has any general tips or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and happy growing!

20150609_153713.jpg

2. wow. not even a single view of this thread lol.

real leaves are starting to grow now. i've put it in my greenhouse for now. it's in its smaller pot at the moment. just picked up a temperature and humidity gauge as well. i haven't started feeding it yet but there are some nutrients in the soil already so that should hold it off for a bit until i feed it for real.

3. I started a green hose
    Remember with autos less is good thing
    Check out my journal and no pictures

4. I tried to germinate seeds in that same exact kind of peat plug and it took over a week for them germinate vs nirvana shops grow medium which took about a couple days. Did it take this long with you too or did you do anything different to them?

5. I jyst ordered seed from nirvana they are autos do you have any reviews

hope your greenhouse works out for you!

i'm not using autos. i actually have never used autos.

i've always used the jiffy peat pellets and i've never had an issue with germinating. only once i messed it up but it was my fault as i had the pellet on a white plate and the water collected in the middle but i didn't notice it so essentially i drowned the seed. now i use a plastic "plate" where the water gets pushed to the side with no problems ever.

i normally germinate under a small dome and spray it with water if it ever feels too dry. i'll check it twice a day and maybe spray it once depending. the longest it has taken me was around a week, but normally it's like 3-4 days or so.

i've never ordered from nirvana seeds. the violator kush i got from barney's farm and it has been pretty good. i've also purchased whiteberry and atomical haze from paradise seeds which i highly recommend. i've also bought strawberry cough from dutch passion which was okay.

if i had to choose who i think is the best it would be paradise seeds. they don't have a huge selection, but their seeds are great and produce very well. they also seem to get a lot of good reviews when i was doing my research and picking breeders.

also, i've never used autos so i don't really have an opinion.

9. i was finally able to feed my little plant today. it's been raining like crazy and the humidity has been insane so the soil was not drying very fast. i was hesitant to water it because i didn't want to overwater it by accident.

just used a very light feeding (quarter strength of recommended amount). i forgot how slow soil grows are. my bubbler buckets in the basement are just huge and growing like crazy compared to this little one. oh well, she's got plenty of time still.

Attached Files:

10. Well I am only growing autos + 3 medical seeds so if you want please feel free to check out my grow journal on how autos compare two photos my plants were planted on May 11th and currently there 40 something days old I have my second batch starting from last week and they broke so I already we can learn a lot from each other especially since this is my first grow but I definitely know what breeders I like bomb seeds are amazing and so are 00 seeds. Carpitian seeds are hardy for a winters grow.

11. woke up this morning and found this [​IMG]

something has chewed right through the stem severing the four new leaves right off the top and also left some chew marks in the seedling leaves. the four leaves were perfectly in tact and still looked healthy despite sitting on the soil in the pot. never heard of an insect that chews stems right off.

fack i'm upset. i'll try to keep going for now and hopefully it'll grow again. maybe i'll germinate another seed just in case. could be a quick end to my first outdoor grow.

Attached Files:

12. Which strain are you starting

13. #13 greennewb, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2015

this was violator kush.

14. Are you starting another one you can cut the tops of two little bottle to protect your next crop until it grows 3 nodes

15. yeah i started another one. this one is an autoflower though. i think i will leave it under a cut plastic bottle for a little while at first. i'm also using diatomaceous earth to keep any crawlers away.

16. Autoflowers are hardy so yoy might not need it but rather be safe then sorry

17. I am a new grower of autoflowering plants in containers on my deck and learned a very important lesson right away; autoflowering plants do not like to be transplanted! My next grow I will sow my seeds in the pots they will finish in. I sprouted and transplanted 3 Barney's Farm Little Cheese and 3 Royal Queen Diesel Auto. I am having greater success with the LC; at week 7 one is 24 inches with multiple bud sites in flower right now. The AD are all stunted but are flowering nicely.

18. good to know. i'm only doing the one autoflower at the moment and just recently transplanted it into its air pot. so far i've had no issues other than a couple tiny bug bite holes in a couple leaves, but i've been fighting back against the earwigs that have come to destroy my vegetable garden this year (little bastards!).

man, it's been a while since i've grown in soil. so slow lol. i'm just not used to it i guess. maybe i'll post a few pics today of my outdoor autoflower.

19. Once I realized the potential damage that can result from transplanting I was itching to go again. I realized that with autoflowers I still had a growing window this season (if the weather cooperates) and I had the 2 free seeds that came with my original order. So, I germinated a canuk lemon skunk (LS) auto and planted it directly into a 5 gallon pot on 7/25/15. It is currently thriving. On 8/3/15 I direct planted a canuk feminized white widow (WW) in the same 5 gallon pot with the LS. This seed emerged from the soil on 8/15 and is off to a good start. . If you are interested I will continue to post progress reports.

My containers are on my deck with direct sun all day. This summer I had no pest problems, good karma I guess.

20. Good luck i am trying a shared pot best of lucks