Man accidentally shot friend while smoking cannabis. IL

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by FrankTheTank28, Jun 9, 2015.

1. #1 FrankTheTank28, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2015
    "A Roseland man faces involuntary manslaughter charges after prosecutors say he accidentally shot and killed his friend while they were smoking marijuana and he forgot the gun was loaded.
    \nAntonio Lampley, a 23-year-old Wal-Mart greeter, was sitting in the back seat of a parked car Feb. 25 near his home in the 11300 block of South Parnell Avenue, smoking marijuana and listening to music with friends, according to Cook County court records.
    Derrius Drakes, also 23, was sitting in front of him, according to records..."

By Geoff Ziezulewicz
    Chicago Tribune
    contact the reporter

To read on, go to
    Code:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-marijuana-smoking-manslaughter-charge-20150607-story.html
    Click here for a direct link.
    One commented:

"Marijuana smokers change their brains in ways they like and in unexpected ways, sometimes long-term. If they shouldn't drive when smoking dope they shouldn't hold a gun either, and if they cause death, property damage or injuries while driving high should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. 
    Likewise gun handling while stoned-stupid."

There you have it folks, we are always just changing our brains like Spider-Man. 

2. tragedy it has to be... god blame.

3. Yes, blame the weed. Don't blame the idiot that's playing around with a loaded gun. He could have just as easily been drunk and did the same thing. And I'm tired of hearing about how it "changes your mind permanently" there is no evidence that supports any long term negative effects. Leave the real info gathering up to the scientists that have actually studied the subject.

4. #4 FrankTheTank28, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2015
    If science has showed anything, it is that it does not make any permanent changes to the brain. Take Bill Gates and Steve Jobs for example who went on to be extremely successful.

BTW, I love your pug picture, very cute. I have had two black pugs.

5. Using 2 smart guys that smoked weed once is not a strong argument.

The latest studies actually do show structural changes in cannabis users brains but there seems to be as much proof of it being a good thing rather than a bad thing.

6. #6 yrvd86, Jun 10, 2015
    Can you cite these studies? The problem is there isn't enough research to be able to tell anyone that smoking cannabis can cause any type of long term brain issues. These types of studies would have to be done for years from multiple people in order to confirm any findings.

I have also heard coffee changes your brain but I won't be quitting caffeine anytime soon. Lol

7. Hey guys, lets ignore that fact that this was a freak accident. The only way to slow down legalization is to misguide the stupid public with freak accidents added to illogical newsfeeds..

8. "23 Year old Wall Mart greeter?.... dancing in a car with a loaded gun?.

Yup, all sounds pretty common.

But If not for the damned tricky Irie!!!!!!!"  [​IMG]

9. #10 FrankTheTank28, Jun 10, 2015
    I do agree that it is not a strong argument. However, take yourself. Stop smoking for a week or a month. Does this impact you in anyway? I feel that it won't. From what I have seen, it does not for others. Nevertheless, we do need solid facts.

10. #11 FrankTheTank28, Jun 10, 2015
    To be honest, who knows if it honestly was a freak accident or a real murder. He may have just wanted to use cannabis as a way out of his situation.

11. My point is that weed being involved in gun violence is a rare coincidence and the media is trying to suggest there's a valid connection between the two.

12. I feel ya.

13. Could have just as easily been "Man accidentally shot friend while eating Air Heads." Or how about an article like "Completely sober man comes home and beats the shit out of his wife." No my friends, us stoners can only lose points not gain them.

14. Will the NRA defend cannabis smokers now?

15. Sensationalized headlines always make views, views = $$$. Once this exaggerated view gets publicized, it gets repetitied until it becomes a public opinion. But yeah, always discern when things seem fishy.

16. Not trying to throw a lame cop-out out there, but I am seriously, seriously doubting that it was just bud as far as mind-altering compounds were concerned....just sayin'

jah!/*d$*[​IMG]

17. ROFL that guy deserved it.  Yeah I said it.  I am a gun advocate but that whole situation was wrong.  Now that poor girl has to live with that on her conscious.  I have also worked in the gun store industry and a little unknown fact is that over 1100 Americans accidentally kill themselves each year  while cleaning their guns.  But you would never hear of this unless say MJ was involved for some reason.

18. #20 enjoyandlive, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
    I already can tell it's a biased quote as they refer to bud as "dope". i can tell you whoever made that quote is loaded with reefer madness to the brim. it's pathetic and inhumane they'd do anything they can to point marijuana as the scapegoat just to push more fear mongering to the people.Its just like say someone who smokes pot that is dumb, was dumb before. Someone who was dumb enough to be playing with a gun - Which you Should NEVER do with people around - would have done it sober eventually anyway. the guy wouldnt have known if it was loaded or not, stoned or not.