Why is DIY led better than buying retail(Premade leds)?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by REALSTYLES, Jun 6, 2015.

1. After trying the Mars light and making my own panel. I had a problem with my light after 15 months on the Mars II 900 and noticed the 1200 had just one diode burn out. I fixed the 1200 and smashed the 900 because of how many diodes were out and others about to go no point in fixing it. There really no place for you to go and get repaired must send somewhere and pay shipping and the 900, 1200 and 1600 are heavy as fuck. There are other companies that say up to 5 yrs but the warranty is as good as the person giving it. Before I bought Mars I had a buddy who could get the Lush lighting Dominator for $650 because he tests for DNA genetics and I gave him the money and a week later he gave it back due to the bad luck he was having with them and that's when I tried Mars. Don't get me wrong they work good but not what I expected. At least when you make your own light you know how to fix it.

Blue Dream, Mad Man og, GSC, Thin Mint GSC, White lady og, White Dragon, Liberty Haze, Critical Kush. Blue Kush, White Widow, Blue Kripple, Amnesia Haze Cluster Bomb, THC Bomb and Incredible Bulk and in the 4x4 tent Deathstar cross, Platinum Cookie cross and ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlNsRR8zTWE

2. I heard that Mars is might have 1 yr warranties now and you guys got mad at me and now look at what's happening lol

3. #3 REALSTYLES, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2015
    Lets take a look at other LED light copmanies and their warrnties.
    Plantinum Grow Lights - First off the offer a 90 day money back guarantee and automatically backed with a 5-year USA based warranty which I think would be a problem for non-US customers.
    iPower Led Grow lights- Limited 2 years Manufacturer's warranty. What scares me is it doesn't state what the warranty is.
    Black Dog Led- has 90 day return policy. If you are unsatisfied with any Black Dog LED light, you can return it for a refund within 90 days from the original purchase date. A Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) must be requested and the product shipped within 90 days of the original date of receipt. Returns are limited to one (1) light per customer. All items must be returned in "as new" condition in the original packaging and include all accessories. Lights that have been broken, damaged, altered, or had the housing opened are not returnable. “Damaged” includes but is not limited to water damage and damage resulting from being dropped and/or incorrect electrical connection. Returns will be charged a 10% restocking fee. Shipping charges are non-refundable. We recommend using a carrier that has tracking capabilities when sending returns. The customer assumes responsibility for return shipping fees, insuring the return shipment, and filing any necessary claims for damaged or lost returns.
    Area 51 Led- Limited Lifetime warranty-Original Owner: During the first 24 months starting from date of delivery, we offer a full bumper to bumper warranty, we will replace any part that fails due to manufacturing defects, free of cost. The lights are designed to be fixed easily by the customer though in the event that the customer is unable to fix the lamp themselves, they have the option of shipping it to us at their expense, then we will fix it and ship it back to them at our expense.
        Non-Original owners: If you purchased your lamp used from the Original Owner, we     will offer parts at our cost for life. In the event that the non-original customer is     then we will fix it and ship it back to them at their expense.
    Things not Covered by Warranty:
        1) Any damage caused by misuse or negligence.
        2) Faulty wiring or outlet where the owner had plugged in the lamp.
        3) Using improper voltage input (higher than 245v, or lower than 95v) resulting in     damage.
        4) Water or fire damage.
        5) Natural disasters.
        6) Unauthorized modifications resulting in damage.
    Advanced Led Lights- 90 day Hassle-free Returns and a 3 Year full Warranty.
    Diamond Series Grow Lights-90 day if you're not happy for any reason send it back 100% refund.
    Aapche Tech Inc-2 Year Warranty too much mombo jumbo just got to the site lol http://www.apachetechinc.com/content/8-warranty

4. You have to be careful with warranties and check the sustainability of the company before you believe anything...

So many people bought cheap light thinking : Hey there's a good warranty, no worried if it breaks I'll just have it replaced. Only to find a year later when they try and have their items replaced that the company went out of business or is nowhere to be found...

Warranty isn't everything and from the experience that I have with customer and after sales service, it is reaaallll easy to put the blame on the customer when it comes to faulty products...

A good reputable company will actually lose money to serve a customer well in order to have a good reputation or to have recurring customers.

A shitty company will find any excuse to blame you for the fault in the product.

If you purchase from their website it's a 3 yr warranty, if you purchase from them via eBay it is only a 1 yr warranty regardless of model. I admit I am going to pick up another 300w old model from ebay ...$66.00 shipped to my door...can't beat it. But I am also trying to figure out the DIY LED fixture I want to build.

6. yeah ask realstyles how much money his cost to assemble. Not counting the time spent. Ask him how much money and how many hours he spent.

7. what the what what make your own LED that sounds way hard and i imagine a piece of cardboard with tape and bubblegum holding it all tgether this is way funny to me but if it works well.

Sent from deep in my subconscious.

8. At first it took a couple of hours to do 1 panel but now I can make 5 panels in four hour lol. It cost me $700 in parts and if this unit was retail it would be $1899 and here what they produce

SAM_0684.JPG SAM_0685.JPG

I am well aware of the costs and time needed to a quality custom LED build as I have made them before when I was heavy into salt water fish/reef keeping. If I had all the parts laid out in front of me I could build a custom LED fixture in a couple of hours. This would be 2 drivers across 2 color channels and 24 LED stars(diodes). 

Doing DIY projects like this is good for my mind and spirit and you can't put a price tag on that nor get that off a store shelve. 

It's only hard if you don't want to try.

11. Video update killing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmXta-Yc1Cs&feature=youtu.be

12. The satisfaction and learning experience you get from a diy project is what makes it all worth it for me. I like project management a lot and for me, this is lots of fun. Just like in real businesses, you have to study the project, plan everything out, budget, part sourcing, design, etc

13. why not diy solar panels while were at it!

14. That's being designed as we speak for a buddy of mine who is out in the desert. They already have kits as well so you trying to be funny but it isn't working. Here's some pics of the buds grown under a diy led panel.

SAM_0735.JPG SAM_0736.JPG SAM_0737.JPG SAM_0738.JPG SAM_0739.JPG SAM_0740.JPG

How much longer should I go?

15. #15 ClaudKLyons, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
    So many people bought cheap light thinking : Hey there's a good warranty, no worried if it breaks I'll just have it replaced. Only to find a year later when they try and have their items replaced that the company went out of business or is nowhere to be found..[SIZE=110%]Mr16 Led Bulbs can also be used for this purpose.[/SIZE]

16. Hah. Nice beer bottle shot RS.Still doesn't compete with the Mars 2.Here's an auto for you. Enjoy. WP_20150504_045.jpg

17. My lights are better than Mars I pulled 326 grams off 3 plants only using 372watts that's .88 gpw I wish I had 4 plants in my 4x4 tent. I'm trimming the 4x8 tent as we speak but I'm gonna hit over a 1 gpw and my tent is only using 930watts. I'm getting better results. Isn't the light from the sun white? I know for sure it's not blurple

18. @cmgreenonetwo fuck autos it's all about photo period plants SAM_0765.JPG You can't even see my beer in this pic SAM_0755.JPG

19. some great looking flowers mine dont ever get that big they yield but i dont get those gigantic colas maybe its cause i lst and use chem ferts this year im not ldt ing my sativa and im doing all organic on it .

20. It's the light I made you can make one too but it will run $700+ in parts. I can't believe the difference between Cree cobs and Mars lights. There is no comparison.