Helions Autumn Attic Adventure

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by helion, Jun 5, 2015.

1. #41 helion, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2015
    I shall join this magnificent thread and in all its glory shall post and become a piece of it. Soon after this nap. See you guys soon :).

2. Enjoy the nap

3. Yeah, man me too definitely lol but you just gotta grow with it. I don't think we'll stop learning til were dead. Never accept what you know as enough. A good grower will arm themselves with as much knowledge as possible.

4. Subbed up my friend!

Gave your Journal a quick once over and everything is looking good. I'll come back and go through it again more thoroughly later tonight, keep up the good work bruddah!

5. They are gonna take a while to get big. How long do you plan to veg? They explode(double/triple in size once you flip to flower.

6. Thanks my friend.... It seems like everyone is having more luck with their sprouts.... mine are taking forever to get big! I think I stunted them somehow/overwatered. Its only been day 8 but I will post pics in a week and then compare. 

I want to veg until they are about a bit less than 1/3 the size of the tent. the tent is about 5 foot high. so about 1 foot from top of pot? the pot is about 10 inches tall... what do you think my friend?

7. Seedlings grow slow, it always bothers me how long it takes them to get going. Mine are at three weeks and just popped their 5th set of leaves. Once you get to that point things start to take off.

One foot sounds good height wise, as long as you can keep your light hung up while they grow they will do great. They usually double in size during stretch

8. #49 Gilman420, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2015
    Check it out attic buddy, I got pics of my new and improved ghetto attic setup with 400W MH lamp-

View attachment 157767
    View attachment 157765
    View attachment 157766

Man, what a difference with that light.  I didn't realize these things were like flood lights lol.  You know how much the electric will go up with this?

9. #50 jumper420, Jun 10, 2015
    Only about 15 to 25 dollars

10. I agree with Jumper. 600 watts pulled me to about $25

11. Easy to find out my 700w led is like 330w so its .12cents a kWh(kills watt hour) .12*(330/1000)*(hours left on a day)*30(days in a no)
    Mine Costa about 30/mo left on 24/7

12. #53 MaxYields, Jun 10, 2015

That Mars unit actually only pulls 260 watts. They lie about it. Just a heads up

But yeah that's the correct equation to find out your monthly light costs. :)

13. The 700 only pulls 260? What's the 400pull?

I'm not sure, but probably 2/3 of what they have listed.... I saw a video (has yet to be publicly released) that was comparing two LED's... The Mars II 700 and the Platinum LED P450.

I was very disappointed when I figured it out, especially because their website says it draws 330 - 380 watts. They even have those stats written on the stickers on the LED unit itself...

I'll post a link to the video once it is completely done and put online, it will blow your nips off.

15. What's the point in claiming its something its not since it was a cheap route that people take. Like damn. What's the meter called tho killameter of something that tells you the actual draw.

16. Since LED tech is so new and there aren't really standards that everyone knows about. So it's way easier for a company to lie and make their light look better than it actually is.

Especially when everyone judges the power of a grow light off of Watt draw... That's HID thinking, what matters in LEDs is PAR (Photosynthetic Active Radiation).

Most LED companies lie about the coverage of their lights, never thought anyone would lie about the watt draw.

And I don't know the actual name of the tool, I just call them Killowat Monitors.

17. #58 helion, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
    Yoooo! My friend!! That's gonna make those plants fucking explode man!!! Look at that bright ass light!! Dude... you have a ton of head room so I think you'll pull in at least a pound if you do it correctly man... You can let those babies grow since you don't have a tent constraint! Just watch out for the temp though, that lamp will get hot as fuck... especially in the attic. Just run 12/12 with the lights on during the night. And try your best to ventilate that room and pull some nice cool a/c air into their somehow... Maybe buy a window a/c unit. That would be the ticket. Looks like you're gonna smoke me in the crop weight bro!

PS  One question tho... why did you choose the MH over the HPS for flowering?

18. #60 helion, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
    Looks like the new seeds that sprouted have pretty much caught up to the older batch!!!! wtf! I know for sure that I overwatered now. I believe that stunted the root growth. I needed to let the dirt get dry, especially since I don't have the proper mix which allows "airyness". I mean the dirt isnt super compact, but I do believe I need to let it dry more so that it can be more penetrable by the roots. But the question is how dry do I let it get???

Anyways, heres the pics of the newbies. A couple of them have second adult leaves already growing! On one of them, they are as big as the ones in the tent! These newbies have been under 24 hr 400w HPS though. Hmmm. Noted. Also, their leaves are cupped up towards the light... kind of the opposite from the ones inside the tent that are drooping a bit.

This might be a blessing in disguise now that I think of it... This will mean the plants will be a nice even height when I put them together, making science easier. Mmmmyess.

oie_11131029ZFh4DBVv.jpg

Comparison between the biggest old one and the biggest new one. The blurry one is the old one.

oie_JAXNs7JSVF7n.jpg
    oie_dNt9gnFtaLET.jpg

And here are the older lot. The second set of adult leaves have gotten a wee bit bigger since a day or two ago, as you can see. I also lowered the light down a bit to where its a bit more intense for the plants.

oie_11131119yOJn7Sl2.jpg
    oie_oOKBNYr7xA5t.jpg

You can see here that the first set of adult leaves on the front two plants are drooping a bit. Is there any reason for this? Indication that i'm doing something wrong? I also notice that the plants are a very lime green color. Not very dark at all. Can this be because of the intensity of the light? Are they adjusting the surface area of their leaves so less light hits it? Or is it a watering issue?

oie_JTNupBplMeQh.jpg

Here's a shot of the tent a bit further back, so you can see the whole setup.

oie_IcqKlemCuoSS.jpg

Notes: Outdoor temp gets to 92. In the tent, at the bottom of the pots, it gets to 81 degrees with the light on at night. It peaks at 84 during day w/lights on. Avg humidity 45-55. The temp drops when the light is off in the morning to about 68-70. Then gradually heats up to 84 when the light cuts on 6 hours later, and then tapers back down to 81 when the sun sets. I think this is a nice simulation of how it would feel outside during spring/early summer. Still running 18/6.