why did you quit?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by schief27, May 29, 2015.

1. I stopped smoking pot about 7 weeks ago and I don't know why. I was a full blown stoner for probably 3 or 4 years up to that point. Then one day I got out my bowl to smoke after class. But I didn't use it. I thought "I'm gonna not smoke right now" and I didn't smoke. Then when I bought my next bag I thought "This is gonna be the last bag I buy" and it was. But I don't know why. I do not want to smoke anymore.

Is this something you have experienced? Why have you quit in the past? Please give me insight or some sort of guidance here. Please.

2. #2 The Nickatina, May 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
    Stopped because it made me anti social and less likely to pickup beautiful woman 

but its only been lke 3 months and i may pick a sack up this week.  i think i just needed a tolerance break

never smoking daily again... fucks u up

3. I did'nt. I won't, unless it's to gain employment. It's me and I'm it.

4. I realized I was tryina make it something that wasn't for me. Introverted stoner...won't talk much if I get high, plus it sorta kept me from progressing as a person. Edibles however;) been only like 2 or 3 weeks tho I'm still open to doing it since, well...everything changes.

5. afterall, it's a drug. drugs affect people differently. our bodies are amazing tools. your body may need a detox from the drug, and therefore making it happen... subconsciously

6. #6 Oni~, May 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
    It's a seasaw battle.   A line up of pros and cons.    What do you get with herb and what do you lose?  What is improved, and what is worsened or damaged? 

The individual pros and cons are not the same for everyone, either in kind or intensity.   For example, smoker A might be an excellent biker when high, but smoker B is a great gamer, while smoker C has something completely different he's great at.   Smoking might also not make them better at those things but makes them simply enjoy it more.

The same goes for cons.  Smoker A might get terrible panic attacks from time to time when smoking.  Smoker B doesn't get those but develops agoraphobia when high,  while smoker C simply gets antisocial period.   

People are criss-crosses of stuff like that.   Someone might live to smoke and bike because it's THAT amazing to them, but finds him/herself becoming more antisocial on the side.   

Some people only have pros.   Some have only cons.   This is generally heavily, if not completely, influenced by external stimuli from their personal lives.   For example, if you had a horrid childhood for XYZ reasons, you are more likely to have bad trips.  If you are surrounded by friendship, love, a good life,  you are probably going to have good ones.   Famous smokers like McKenna and Hancock always stress the importance of the setting during your trip.  Herb or heavier stuff.

Those, where the cons outweigh the pros, generally quit eventually.   How quickly, is determined by how strong the cons are in their case.  For example, if someone smoked once and had a terrible panic attack off the bat,  they are far less likely to smoke again.  If they do and have another panic attack, they'll most likely never smoke again.  
    Someone who has mild cons, like negatively altered social behavior, is more than likely going to take far longer to grasp it and eventually quit.   If the con is weak enough, the smoker might simply choose to live with it, especially if good pros are in place.

Weed should do the exact opposite lmao. Especially the social part.

8. It can do and does both. 

A lot (not all, but a lot) of the  "antisocial" behavior reported about weed is often due to the smoker changing for the better, but becoming different than the surrounding he/she is in.    That surrounding and relationships would have been created when the smoker was not smoking yet and did not have a green mind.   Once the mind goes green, the environment no longer fits it and the smoker is less enthusiastic about going to hang out with the people in it.

Considering what a potent factor herb is in the lives of those who partake regularly,  it makes sense that continuing to hang out with those who do not could become an issue.   They want to talk about what happened on Dancing With The Stars last night, or the big ball game,  while the smoker wants to talk about wtf reality is and time and space.  

It is not a coincidence that people yap about "waking up"  since forever.  Particularly since the 60's in more modern culture.   The side effect is that a lone smoker can end up awake in a crowd of sleepers.  As such, the smoker can become "antisocial".   

9. Because the oppressors make me pee in a cup if I want to sign up for slavery

-yuri

10. When I smoke I spend less time being productive and more time sitting on my ass doing nothing. I smoke on weekends now and thats it. 

11. Work became more important than doing what I want.  Started a family, priorities changed.  Not a big deal, I was only ever a casual smoker, so it was an easy change to make.

12. Got a car and a new place, and the car and old place is motivation not to get nabbed at work. I will eventually find a way to smoke again. Not a huge deal becauae i barely smoked but not being at liberty to do what i want pisses me off.

13. crazy. every one of us saw this through different eyes. like everyone had an answer for this as though they themselves were experiencing the effects, inner turmoils and indifferent feelings of it. i hear what your saying OP and yeah, the last time i quit was for a long time {3 years}.

dunno why really. just up and didn't really smoke any more. it wasn't like i couldn't get it or didn't talk to those people anymore. i just didn't like to smoke herb anymore. well not even dislike it more detached then that. more like i just didn't really care if i did or didn't so i chose not to or something. the last sack i bought was an O and it was pretty fucking dried when i pulled the jar out and took a look at what was left. i still got stoned though. i started back up after i got my military bullshit figured out. 

lol..when i went to smoke some of it for the first time in three years i didn't have anything but the old zig zag cut corners i had in there. the bud turned to powdered shit pretty much but i still some how got it to roll in a pretty good likeness of a doobie. i got about 3 hits on the damn thing before it all burned up. out here in the desert everything dries out no matter what....

Damn bro you're so spot on it's crazy. Lately when I'd been smoking I just wouldn't vybe with the crowd I was with and I'd get some sort of anxiety that would tell me to get the fuck out. They smoke to but they are just pretty dense and more concerned with the mundane (what celebrities are doing, whats on vine/instagram, etc). I thought I was going crazy and just stopped smoking all together, even though I've been trying to stop smoking for years for other reasons.

But I noticed a long time ago that when I smoke I just stop talking. But I always had a slight feeling that it wasn't purely me just being anti social, because when I'm talking to people about more profound things I speak so expressively and convincingly, but when the convo is dumbed down I just sit in the corner in my own world.

15. Interesting analysis and commentary Oni and MdFinest.

I have never really smoked in large groups or uncomfortable settings. Other than when i would smoke a bit to relax or enjoy music, my smoking with 2+ people was more ritualistic almost. It was usually smoked with the understanding we are going to enjoy ourselves, talking, eating, playing chess, losing ourselves in some sort of music etc.

So i appreciate the perspectives you guys brought forth, it was new to me.