Ironheads method for success

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Ironhead, May 27, 2015.

1. If you are growing in organic soil then you want to find something else. This is designed around the coco coir and is supposed to not be ideal with other mediums. It also contains fertilizers which put 'salts' into the soil though it is a low salt mixture that is given daily. All the microbes and living things in the organic soil won't like the salt and will likely kill some of them or limit what can live in it. Some beneficial life lives in the coco but not like an organic grow. Also, you will no longer be growing organically. If you want to grow in organic soil check out the organic section and what amendments and teas they are using. The sticky on no-till growing contains a wealth of knowledge and a good place to start if shooting for an organic grow. If you want to do something like this then it's best to pick something and follow what is called for as close as possible as it will all be designed to work together and changing something will likely mean throwing something out of whack.

For what you are doing right now I would check out some of the bottled nutrients from Fox Farms. I think they are organic or at least designed to work with an organic grow. And if I can find it where I'm at then I would imagine you can probably find it locally as well though it may take some calling around.

Good luck! And in case you know all this I apologize. Just trying to be helpful though some of these other guys will be able to help a lot more.

2. Is the runoff you guys get significantly darker and more red than what you put in the top? I rinsed my coco until the water coming up was almost clear and much less red. But it still seems like there is a lot of 'it' in there. Just wondering if others are getting the same thing? Or if I need to let it soak a lot longer next time I'm doing the initial flush and getting it ready to use.

3. I used to get when I first ran coco but it will clear up when flushed

SOLAR SPOT
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1334958-Jay's-Solar-Eclipse-Journeys-and-Organic-Adventures

4. like dirty iced tea..good to go :)

5. Great way of explaining it Witch

6. upfront no junk? [​IMG] it's the coco that breaks down from the methods formula and makes it slightly brown/orange
    was that better Stigg's lol

7. It's called recycling guys we are going green all the way

8. #2288 mmnewgrower, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2015
    Ok just updating in guys love the basic formula since I got off the extra additives thanks to h3ads 9/6 and watering every day I have seen tremendous growth on my end I have started to flower 11/17 on the 4 big ones pictured head when would you recommend adding maybe like a floralicious plus and a koolbloom 6/9 and cal mag has work perfect for me so far and want to test the limits on some but not sure and want more advice finally have both rooms dialed in at 77/78 degrees 50% humidity all leaves are healthy just the picture that shows the yellowing from phone

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448868852.678725.jpg

9. I was not saying for you to explain it better
    I was saying
    GREAT Way to on what it should look like Brother
    Whoops

10. [​IMG]

11. I've been letting some time pass by and man it grew on me quick

Attached Files:

12. All these using Irons method

Attached Files:

13. Geez loop! Stuntin just a bit bro?!? Lol your babies look better than all mine of this method. But my sour diesel strain seems the strongest by far, super excited about that( I know how much you love the diesel)

14. And question for iron or anyone else how has used the koolbloom on this. When do I add this? In my notes I have 30 days before flush at 1ml with feedings, that seems to come pretty close to the 3rd or 4th week when the stretch ends . Am I mistaken? Thanks guys

15. I was going back making sure I had the latest info and writing up a daily schedule. What I saw was add the KoolBloom 30 days after the stretch or about 6 weeks after the flip. Unless you start to see yellow spots or the beginning of a deficiency and add it sooner. You also use it everyday except for the days you add epsom because it can burn and flush days.

I also originally had in my notes that Floralicious was once a week but then saw recently it was added back to everyday except flush days. Again, after the stretch and once you stop using the root excelerator.

At least that's what I've read in here so hopefully it's all correct. Since we all have different setups, lights, water, humidity, temps, etc, and different strains like different things, I think this is just a really great starting point but we all might have to make small adjustments to make the plants happy. That's why Iron's recommendation to drop back to the base nutes is so important because they should all be able to handle that and recover quickly. Then we can slowly add things back one at a time to see what they don't like which is a process probably everyone learns eventually. I think smaller plants are also much more likely to have a negative response than the bigger plants that have enough mass to handle any extras. I was burning my plants every time I added epsom salt when they were small in their small containers. Now that they are bigger, in bigger pots they can handle it just fine. Now if I could just figure out how to fix all these males I have.

What I've been wondering is if anyone is using a silicate product like Pro-tekt? I see a lot of people suggesting it and I don't see any mention of it in the products we use. Only issue I can see is that it is extra potassium and can raise ph. Maybe it would be best as a foliar instead of adding to the water.

I also saw that the micro should be added to the water before anything else. I guess if it isn't it can cause the water to get cloudy which are nutrients combining and coming out of solution which messes with the nutrient profile as they are no longer dissolved and can't be absorbed when a solid. But with the low levels we use this is probably never an issue but is what's recommended by the manufacturer.

16. It can burn plants up real quick if you don't watch your PH (typically applies to Organic growers who don't monitor their PH). Your thoughts of it being best used as a foliar spray I would say is accurate - it works really well when applied that way.

17. hi Ironhead! found you through instagram. I'm looking to start growing sometime next year. I've used weed medically, but the license and dispensaries here got too expensive for me :( Right now I'm in my researching phase and trying to gather as much info as I can. I read through your guide and pretty much paraphrased everything about the nutes you recommend for ease of referring back to it in the future. I was hoping you (or anyone else reading) could confirm that I've gotten all the info correctly. I would appreciate that a lot!

6ml/gal - General Hydro Micro
    9ml/gal - General Hydro Bloom 11ml/gal @ day 14 flower
    1g/gal - Epsom salt - every 3rd - dissolve w/ hot water
    .5ml/gal - Total Pond - every watering cept Florakleen & last 2 wks of flower
    Bio-Ag VAM - during transplant
    .5ml/gal - House&Gardens Root Excelurator- veg until first 2wk flower
    .5ml/gal - General Hydro - Floralicious Plus - after first 2 wks flower
    1ml/gal - Liquid Koolbloom - past day 30 of flower, all feedings cept salt days

5ml/gal - General Hydro Florakleen - 2x a week during veg & flower

Also, since I'm a scrub, could someone give a sample watering schedule? I know plants are not supposed to be overwatered, but how is florakleen given 2x a week if Total Pond is needed every watering as well?
    Someone please let a girl kno :p Thanks!

18. Mix that coco perlite u won't be able to ovetwater just use the the lift method never fails

SOLAR SPOT
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1334958-Jay's-Solar-Eclipse-Journeys-and-Organic-Adventures

19. I see :) Thanks for the info!

Another question for the thread in general:
    How often should one water their plants while using coco+perilite with the basic nutes if there are 2x Florakleen days? Is it mixed with everything else (except Total Pond) or by itself?
    So far with my research I understand the basics of nutrients but not so much about how often/when :( I'll do more reading though lol