Ironheads method for success

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Ironhead, May 27, 2015.

1. #1 Ironhead, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Hello all, I'm Ironhead.. today we are gonna grow in coco. I've had folks follow along with my way of doing things and they have had great success, so I decided to make a thread to outline exactly what it is I do.
    First up, I grow in coco coir.. I love this stuff. It keeps the perfect level of moisture, its clean, and reusuable.. a great medium to work with. I like to get the 5kg block and expand them on my own.. its easy and you can save alot of bread doing it this way.
    [​IMG]
    I like to mix my coco with 50% perlite because cannabis like to have an aerated root zone.. I almost doubled my yields just by cutting the coco with perlite 50/50.
    [​IMG]
    Thats it for the medium.. just coco and perlite. Now for the base nutrients, I like to use a formula called the H3ad formula, which is a derivative of the Lucas formula. It uses Gneral Hydroponics Micro at a ratio of 6ml per gallon of de-chlorinated tap water for veg.. A week before I switch to flower, I'll drop the Micro to 5ml per gallon, then right at the switch, I'll drop it to 4ml for all of flower until week 7, when I drop it to 2.5ml per gallon for a few feedings before the flush. Make sure you drop the Micro or you will get bad clawing from the nitrogen toxicity.
    [​IMG]
    And General Hydroponics Bloom at a ratio of 9ml per gallon of de-chlorinated tap water. After the stretch ends, or right about day 14 of flower, I bump the Bloom up to 10ml per gallon and keep it there throughout flower until I start the flush. Still no need to ph!!!
    [​IMG]
    Add in 1 gram of regular ole Epsom Salt per gallon (found at any pharmacy for dirt cheap). I get a small cup of plain water, nuke it in the microwave for 30 seconds and add in the Epsom salt to dissolve it quickly and totally. The Epsom salt won't dissolve in cold water... Or at least very very slowly. I usually add this stuff to the to the plants once every other feeding. Weighing this is important because it's all different size granules, so a teaspoon won't always weigh the same, but a gram will always be a gram.
    [​IMG]
    And that's the base nutrient formula, 6/9. You give this to every plant in the garden from seedlings/clones allll the way to the flush at the end of flower, and everything in between. Its the perfect profile for any cannabis strain.. super easy!! No need to check ph, no need to check ppm.. just add to water and pour into your plants til you get 10% runoff on every watering.
    This is where my formula is different from H3ad's.. I use a barley based enzyme to break down the orangic matter within the medium.. Some use Hygrozyme or Cannazym, but I use a Pond clarifier from Home depot called Total Pond. This stuff is super concentrated barely extract and deionized water --thats it. Same ingredients in Hygrozyme, but this little bottle is only $8 and treats around 400 gallons. I add it at a ratio of .5 ml per gallon.. in every watering besides the Florakleen days and the last 2 weeks of flower. This stuff is the key to everything working. :
    [​IMG]
    At every transplant, I add a mycorrhizal fungi to the hole before putting the plant down into it.. I have used all kinds of this stuff and once I tried the VAM by Bio-ag, I knew I had a winner.. This stuff is fanstatic.. the roots will be literally expolding out of everywhere. I highly recommend this product.
    [​IMG]
    In veg I also add in House and Gardens Root Excellerator at .5ml per gallon through the first 2 weeks of flower, or until the stretch ends. This helps those roots get nice and big.. yall know the saying, the bigger the roots, the bigger the fruits! Its true and this stuff does it better than anything I've tried.
    [​IMG]
    And once the stretch ends in flower, I drop the Root Excellerator for General Hydroponics Floralicious Plus.. this stuff will bring on the frost like crazy, which adds to the aroma, and it helps to develop the buds better than the base nutrients do on their own. this is added at .5ml per gallon as well.
    [​IMG]
    After the first week of flower, I'll start to add the Liquid KoolBloom with every nutrient feeding.. at 1ml per gallon at first, but gradually upping the amount to 2-2.5ml per gallon. This stuff gets the buds super dense and flavorful... Loveee the KoolBloom. [​IMG]
    Using these nutrients, you will get salt build up.. It's just something we have to manage.. Best thing I have found so far is this stuff called Drip Clean by House & Garden.. I use it at a ratio of 1 ml per gallon and it works amazingly well at minimizing the amount of mineral salt within the medium. I love this product.. It makes it all work.
    [​IMG]
    Once a week, I give General Hydroponics Florakleen at 10ml per gallon, which is basically sucrose and glucose (sugar water) this helps to rid the medium of excess build up of salts by utilizing osmosis... mmmm science! I don't grow without this stuff.. this will give you the clean burn and taste you are looking for in fine cannabis. On the FloraKleen days, it's only water and FloraKleen. At the flush at the end of the plants life, I'll do the first week at 10ml per gallon every feeding, then just water until I chop it down.
    [​IMG]
    This is all I follow along with to grow some of the best looking and smoking flowers I've ever seen. I'm sure I've forgotten all kinds of stuff, but I wanted to start this thread, so the information is out there for whoever wants it. I'll be constantly updating info, answering questions, and just hanging out in here bullshitting along with my main thread, so lemme know what you think!

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. #2 Ironhead, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
    Gonna get up some shots of the kind of results you can expect when using this method. :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  3. Pullin up a seat man this looks like a great read!

4. #4 SickBoy., May 27, 2015
    I love it brotha! :metal:

I'M A USER OF THIS METHOD AND A BELIEVER!!

Growing/Grown by Me, Using the IRONH3AD FORMULA

Connoisseur Genetics

Strawberry DogShit!

(Strawberry Cough X OG Chem)

8 weeks 1 day flowering currently!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. #5 Ironhead, May 27, 2015
    Ok its fixed now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hygrozyme?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shit.. I'll edit it. VAM too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. I finally got the full lineup!
    20150527_155637~2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 cabinetman, May 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
    Iron you got me second guessing this whole LOS thing .....those plants with this coco.... Man lemme tell you what, I might just run a little side by side and let it be the truth in the pudding....your fucking flowers rock bro :metal:

10. I started my coco venture on March 17th, when I planted 5 Nocturnals from Sanctuary Gardens. 1st pic is within the first week then as it gets older till today. All done using Ironheads method outlined above.
    1st week
    20150325_132830~2.jpg
    20150420_210200~2.jpg
    20150504_222409~2.jpg
    20150508_174606~2.jpg
    20150516_074556~2~2.jpg
    Taken just a few minutes ago
    20150527_162150~2.jpg
    Also started some clones 2 days ago using the same methods.
    IMG_20150526_093633.jpg
    Haven't flowered anything yet, but the plant pictured above will be going to flower within the next 2 weeks. I'll document it's grow and the other girls here as well. Simple and easy!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dam Iron, those pics speak for themselves!!! I am on the LOS train, but have a ton of respect for your system and plan to do a side by side at some point and will definitely keep you posted. Thanks for sharing your hard work, trials, and errors that led up to this system that apparently kicks some ass. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Your not the only one second guessing organics. Lol. I already started a coco grow if you want to follow along.

13. Oh thank god it's still the first page and I'm subbed up brotha!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Ahh the best part of growing in coco is the fact that it's no-till. That means I just cut a plant out at harvest, did a little hole for a solo cup clone, sprinkle some VAM, and drop that sucker in. The plants get better with every cycle.. This is where the barley enzyme comes into play, breaking down all those old roots, turning it to food for the next plant.

See that stump in there? That was the last plant.. Eventually it will just pull right outta there. This container is on its 4th cycle through flower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. #16 A.O., May 28, 2015
    Right thread this time lol
    Blue kush on the basic formula.

Attached Files:

16. Comin along brotha! You glad you made the switch yet?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. #18 SickBoy., May 28, 2015
    @Ironhead

I'm not a fan of rap music at all, but since I've switched to Coco Coir, ill never go back to soil! i love this stuff!

http://youtu.be/6vYnas6q3Sg

This one is making fun of the 1st one!!!

http://youtu.be/w7MkYb2ejYs

• Like Like x 2
  18. #19 crankz, May 28, 2015
    Killer thread!
    I've yet to try coco coir, but when/if, I'm all over this method!
    Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Actually, I suppose I could try to incorporate some of these ideas with my mothers. I grow them in a blend of loose rockwool, perlite, and hydroton. Maybe I can extend the life of the medium when it's time to start fresh moms...
    Just thinking out loud.

Kinda random, but what I got going on...
    http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-growing/1365670-crankzs-cloner.html

19. Make it sooner rather than later and you will be asking yourself why you didn't make the switch earlier. Believe that! 🏼

• Like Like x 4