Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Isopropyl-loosened goop swabbed from pipe - safe to smoke?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by MartianMcLuhan, May 27, 2015.

1. Greetings all -

While in the process of getting some claim out of a seriously gunky pipe by soaking in iso, a bunch of resin refused to come loose from the stem or bowl on its own even after a couple of days, but was easily swabbed out.

Now I'm wondering whether it's safe to smoke this stuff since it's been soaking in iso.

I'm concerned that if left in it's current thick goopy frm, the iso won't evaporate out and I'll be doing damage to myself if I smoke it. But it's so sticky that if I spread it out thin to aid evaporation, I'm not sure I could get it off of whatever surface I spread it over. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

(My concern is with the safety of the swabbed resin, not with the main claim that will be left after the iso solution is evaporated. Not really looking to start a debate on that. Thanks!)

2. All I know is you have to let it air out and lose the iso, but I can't tell you exactly how you should go about it

3. mmmmmmm resin....[​IMG]

4. I would let the ISO evaporate out of it. Let it sit for 24 hours in indirect sunlight, then see what your left with. Next time, just use a paperclip or something to scrape the resin out. No need for the ISO in my opinion.

5. Just noticed this is in Seasoned Tokers section.

Not aware of many seasoned tokers who try to reclaim pipe resin. Rig reclaim and vape sure maybe, but not regular pipe resin.

6. #7 MartianMcLuhan, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015

My concern is how to encourage the ISO to evaporate out of balls of resin, though...

As for scraping, yeah, but it's a bubbler with a body of somewhat convoluted design. And most of the resin was staying caked on the inside of the stem and bowl until I started this process.

Not aware of many seasoned tokers who are impervious to poverty or temporary lack of access to supply, either.

If this should be in the other forum - I read the guidelines - then I apologize, and of course a mod is welcome to move it; but come on dude, you don't know me, and your comment seems kind of unnecessarily judgemental.

7. I'm not rich dude, nor impervious to poverty. It's grass not hardcore physically addictive shit. Take a Tbreak till you get more then keep your tolerance low. Once your break is over the grass will knock you on your ass. I intentionally keep my tolerance low by smoking or vaping once my shit is done for the day.

Start vaping if money is a concern you will consume less per sesh and stretch your supply out longer. Sure they cost in the short term but the savings in the long run will pay it off.

Enjoy the Res this time but look into my advice and I hope you can see about affording a decent vape for yourself.

Good luck to you.

8. #9 MartianMcLuhan, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
    Not addicted, but thanks for the concern [​IMG] This is more a nerdy curiousity about the resin reclaim process (which I'd been hearing/reading about for years) now strengthened by the fact that I'm totally dry for a while.

If it's not worth it, I just won't do it and keep waiting, but otherwise... free smoke, dig? [​IMG]

Anyway what I've done now is take my scraper and spread out the resin that was wet with alcohol over a mirror thinly, and put a fan on it by the window. Anyone see any reason that the result, when dry, is going to be poisonous or unduly flammable?

Not a rookie when it comes to bud, but chemistry, now that's another matter...

9. I've always had trouble smoking resin because its all goopy and I'm too lazy to let it dry. So then I just stopped trying to smoke the resin 

10. Smoked a friend's resin - once - and it was a body buzz on par with reasonably good hash, though the burnout left me pretty drained, and arrived quicker than I'm used to. Still, it did have a real effect.

11. A couple of things. First of all, when people refer to reclaim, they are generally referring to what's left over from concentrates and not the nasty resin that is left over from smoking flower. Second of all, even if ISO is in the product, it won't effect you the first time. It's the cumulative effect that really gets you. You won't get cancer from smoking one cigarette either. Honestly, the resin is just as bad for you as the ISO as it's filled with tar and carcinogens. I wouldn't do it. If you want to though, I wouldn't make a habit of it or anything. It's not going to hurt you one time, but it's going to taste horrible and you'll get more effect from placebo than any cannabanoids present. 

12. ISO will evaporate at room temp. Place the resin on a glass plate and place it in front of a fan for a few hours, you'll know when the ISO is evapped because it will get extremely thick. To each his own, no judgement here.
    ~ poke

13. thats what I was thinking as well...

14. Old trick to check if your iso is safe to use (ie - doesn't leave anything behind). Get a clean mirror and put some of the iso on it. Let it evaporate. There should be NO residue left on the mirror.

Just let the resin dry until it is, once again, a thick semi-solid. The firmer it is, the less iso left in there. You might want to use a spoon or butter knife to scrape it around as it gets thicker to expose more surface area and keep it from cementing itself to the bowl it is evaporating in.