How to deal with social anciety?

Discussion in 'General' started by Antonacci44, May 26, 2015.

1. #21 Vicious, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015

I'm flattered you made an account just to comment. You should stick around and post instead of lurk. I appreciate the input, I just assume most people here dislike me cause I'm cold and shoot straight, I'm always told I'm negative and people pick up on my tone completely wrong.

I go through periods of social withdraw. I've never been diagnosed for it but I'm certain I'm schizoid. Hell, when I mentioned it to my doctor she agreed with me but couldn't diagnose and I'm not seeking treatment so I didn't see the psychologist like she wanted. When I learned about it I was just like "Holy shit, this is me, I've been like this my whole life". I can't stress how important it is to learn how to cope. If you have an anxiety disorder, it's there for good. There is a vicious cycle of withdraw and "fear of fear". Honestly, the only reason I can communicate well and handle social situations is probably a decade or more of interacting with people on the internet. It's in no way a substitute for actual social interaction but it's a good way to articulate yourself.

2. #22 Stayingcalm, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
    I get prescribed medicatiom for social anxiety it used to be a big problem for me speak to yojr doctor man your not alone

3. we don't typically post in the same area but i typically find your posts to be more funny then anything never gotten a cold feeling from them

4. Sound like a hypochondriac.

Haha *blush*

Honestly, I think you're awesome. I don't find you cold at all but you're definitely blunt which is admirable in my opinion. I used to be much more active on the city bac. However, in the last few years I've gotten highly paranoid regarding forum usage and that deters me from adding input on a lot of topics. Perhaps in the near future I'll start being active again and try to fight my newly formed irrational fear of the interwebs.

6. #26 Vicious, May 27, 2015

I feel you there. There's been a couple times people have pulled up posts of mine on other parts of the internet from my tag and offline too. I do think I'm cold though. Sometimes I become so detached I forget I'm talking to other people on the side of a screen. Like, everything that comes through my posts goes through a Vicious veil, it's like my false self or a persona. I'm actually very humble and empathetic in person. There have been people that outright hated me here but once I talked to them on skype we instantly became friends.

You probably pick up on my irony and cynicism more. Some people are oblivious to it, others hate it because I'm "negative".

I'm not going to quote the user because I don't want to bring in drama from another thread but here is a recent one:

"Dude you are so negative all over this forum. Always picking fights and shit, makes me feel sorry for you. Empathy is not my strong suit, but for you, I feel it. Just being honest."

Can't drop med names like that here, brother. Hide or edit your post.

7. Honestly the best answer so far.

I feel insulted when I am told to go to the doctor. The doctors don't fix everything and they can easily mess something up. I hate taking medicine and I don't believe in counseling. I believe in natural ways of fixing mental problems. My anxiety in 9th grade was through the roof because of how socially awkard I was. That is over now.

This anxiety will not be with me forever because anxiety is just a fear of something. Fear is overcomeable and can be dealt with. I am not going to take medicine or talk about my problems to doctors. I know what problems I have. I am just looking for answers on how to not be nervous in certain situations.

I am only getting answers saying I will always be this way. That is only creating unwanted negativity. Thanks but I don't need a diagnosis guys.

PS: Sorry if I shut some of your answers down, they are appreciated. I am just a bit annoyed that I have a 73% and there are no present techniques I can use.

• Like Like x 1
    This.. Also, I've learned a lot about personality disorders and I can't even put my finger on just one. I'm lost in a sea of issues these days. I wish I could find an acurate diagnoses to help me better understand myself. Can't even tell what's worse at this point. Feeling the negative affects of whatever it is that haunts me or not even being able to know the root cause for the problems.

I apologize for derailing this conversation OP. Just wanting to say "Hey" to Vicious. xD

Oh, you're one of those people. Nothing else to say.

• Like Like x 3
  10. I am guessing you are offended. Yes, I am one of those people. Is it bad to not want to waste money and time on something that can be fixed in another way?..
    If so, please tell me why.
    Nothing else to say.

11. Get laid. It's been awhile for me but when I do it helps. Then beer.

12. It's good advice and they likely could help you, since y'know they're a professional.
    Like what was said earlier, explain to the teacher and try to switch. Or just wear an earplug in your ear facing the guy bothering you if you can't switch.

13. Just to many general human things are labeled as issues and problems n shit when the honest answer is humans have dealt with all this shit for a very long time without being medicated or diagnosed.

Just more ways to compartmentalize people into "their" segments of society.

• Like Like x 1
  14. #34 Serapsis, May 28, 2015

These books can transpire much evil in thats hands of a frivolous psychiatrist.. imo.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. ITT: "I don't believe in science"

16. Why haven't you talked to your teacher to move seats...all cause a kid breathes too loud? I'm sure the teacher will understand.

Good luck brah brah.

In the real world, you won't be able to move seats when someone breathes too loud.

Also try meditating.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sorry to say but science and medicine are different. I believe in science. I don't believe in relying on medicine to fix my problems. I am not going to take medicine for the rest of my life. Why would I go to the doctors when there is another way to fix this? I don't know how you came to conclude that I don't believe in science, lol.

18. Exactly, there are too many stereotypes that people with anxiety rely on medicine and counseling. Medicine will only suppress the problems. There are obviously other ways. But I am over it now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. thanks for heads up mate

20. Meditation

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app