How to deal with social anciety?

Discussion in 'General' started by Antonacci44, May 26, 2015.

1. #1 Antonacci44, May 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
    Edit: The problem has been found. I have a deviated septum. I just naturally have trouble breathing. So um... Thanks for telling me all this weird stuff about anxiety. I guess some problems are actually physical instead of mental.

And no I did not go to the doctor. My mom cured me.

2. Are you simply stressed or do you think you have an anxiety disorder? They're not similar. If you think you have an anxiety disorder you need to see your doctor and try out medication or see a psychologist and come up with coping mechanisms and ways to avoid and deal with your anxiety. If you have a disorder it isn't going to go away, ever. Treat the symptoms and learn to cope.

I've been fighting this battle with GAD for over 10 years. It sucks but it's manageable.

3. #4 Antonacci44, May 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
    I only have anxiety in my first period. It happens when this kid next to me starts breathing really loud and rapidly. This triggers something in my mimd that makes me feel like I am doing the same. I then start holding my breath and doing weird and shallow inhales. I will then start having panic attacks and clear my throat often because it feels dry.
    I don't know if I consider this a disorder or what since I am not always experiencing it. But it is a problem.
    I have been put on vyvanse 40mg for adhd btw.

Move seats? Some kid making you uncomfortable isn't social anxiety. If you had social anxiety you'd be spooking all day just being around people.

5. #6 Antonacci44, May 26, 2015
    I can't haha. My class if full and all the seats are taken. I guess I could talk to my teacher and work something out.

And I have another problem as well. I have a really fast heart rate ALL the time. I can see my heart beating through my shirt and it makes me feel like I am going to have a heart attack. Like right now, I am sitting on my laptop listening to music but my heart feels like a stampeed of horses. I usually feel on edge as well. When I was doing community service, I would be assigned to clean the kitchen. I was alone 90% of the time so I listened to music with my headphones. But when somebody walked in the kitchen, I would jump EVERY time. It made me feel awkward but it was funny at the same time.
    Another thing is that I had to present a poster with my group in 3rd period. I wasn't scared because I am on good terms with everyone in my class. When I grabbed the paper from my friend, I felt like my hands were Jello. They were shaking like crazy and I honestly had to flex my whole body to stay still. I have never had a fear of presenting projects but this really confused me. I usually have a problem sitting still but I have never felt like Jello.
    Props to whoever reads all of this. I am curious as to why I am turning into such a pussy.

6. You're not a pussy, it actually does sound like you have an anxiety disorder, not social though. Look into Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Also, I don't think the ADHD meds are helping your cause. Talk to your primary doctor.

7. #8 Antonacci44, May 26, 2015
    Eh, I don't think I would feel comfortable looking into it. I hate diagnosing myself or being diagnosed (unless if it I have a deadly disease). I am just looking for a technique to focus more on school rather than myself.
    Plus the vyvanse actually does help, maybe not completely for anxiety, but it does supress it by making me more calm. Sorry if I am not allowed to tall about other drugs but I thought that was mentionable.

I'm not saying to diagnose yourself but you shouldn't put your head in the sand either. If you have a disorder it's life long and will only manifest more as you get older. Exponentially so if you can't adjust or cope. I'm not telling you to go on meds, I'm telling you to simply talk to your doctor.

9. It doesn't sound like social anxiety but if you just want tips on how to deal with anxiety the thing that's works best for me is to take a drink of water having social anxiety myself I find that I take a drink any time I start to get anxious and it calms me down a lot talking to a therapist helps a lot and otherwise apart from that I have also found trying to find reasons for the anxiety helps a lot like not I'm anxious and stopping the thought is a good but hard one basically anytime a thought that could relate to anxiety pops up you change what your thinking of to something positive like instead of thinking about the kid breathing change the thought to he has a nice shirt I highly recommend talking to a therapist though if it becomes a real bad problem and not just isolated to the class maybe talk to the kid about it if you know why he's breathing so loudly it might help

10. I like cognitive therapy. Kinda something I figured out on my own because I'm extremely introverted and self aware but if you can find fault in your logic and your perception it's easy to fix your train of thought.

11. Switch strains of cannabis! Look for one with a decent amount of CBD/ cannabidiol. [​IMG]

Neural basis of anxiolytic effects of cannabidiol (CBD) in generalized social anxiety disorder: a preliminary report.     (abst - 2010)     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20829306

Cannabidiol reduces the anxiety induced by simulated public speaking in treatment-naïve social phobia patients.      (full – 2011)     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3079847/

Granny

12. #13 Storm Crow, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
    OOPS, double posted![​IMG]

13. overcome it like anything else... face it

14. Heh, I don't smoke anymore lol. I've been getting tested for the past 3 months.

But ya, it is mainly just my 1st period it happens in. Maybe I am just so used to it that it that I expect it to happen.

15. Could this be asthma? My chest feels like it has pressure on it when this occurs. Plus i can feeel this whistling in my throat when i inhale. I would go to the doctor but my parents never take me unless if I am dying, (not literally).

Sounds like palpation until you mentioned breathing. Anxiety can fuck with palpation, breathing and blood pressure.

So you would go to the doctor for a physical reason but not to talk about anxiety? I don't get people.

17. #18 Antonacci44, May 27, 2015
    Ya my parents went through a lot with my older brother and meds. He is bipolar and has a lot of mental problems.
    Trust me, I want to go but my mom is a miser and does not care about these kinds of things.

18. #19 Vicious, May 27, 2015

You need to have your parents schedule your appointments? Are you an adult? What does she care? Say you found a lump on your nut or breast, whichever. I'm sure they'll rush you in. You would think if your brother was bipolar she would be more aware.

This is great advice. It's not wise to just allow this to continue if you think this is a real problem. In highschool I started noticing signs of  social withdrawal and anxiety. I refused to seek help during that time and for the last 7 years I haven't left my house (let alone my room) and now I'm too far gone to even go get a medical diagnoses. It gets worse if you don't take care of the issue. Although, I highly doubt that you're in the same boat as I am. Just try to be honest with yourself and talk to somebody who is a professional.

Also, Vicious I frikkin love you. You're my favorite poster on this site and I've been here on/off for over a decade. Meow.. :)