New Growth SEVERELY affected

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Meanderthal, May 26, 2015.

1. Hey there y'all! First time poster, long time browser.

I had a question concerning the health of my plants, and I was hoping someone out there might have come across these symptoms before and could give me a bit of advice.

At first, I started to notice the new growth in my seed plants were especially yellow.  Then, I started to notice some reddish/brownish rusting in the middle of the leaves, where all the lobes come together and join the leaf stem.  Necrosis followed soon after.
    All the damage starts and progresses from the new growth, leaving the old growth largely untouched.

​I've been PHing my water to 6.7, and besides the proven organic soil, mild ACT without any crazy nutrient sources have been the only type of applications I've been giving it the last few weeks.

I should also mention I most certainly had a broad mite infestation last year, and the beginning of this year, but have applied Avid, Pyganics, Met 52, Forbid, Conserve SC, Neem, Dynamite, etc., with only the DOUBLE strength Pyganics showing any phytotoxicity.  Before spraying with the double strength Pyganics, the plants were growing vigorously, despite showing symptoms of broad mites.  After the Pyganics application, the plants started to show the problems I'm currently experiencing, without the odd twisting and severe cupping and blistering I'm used to seeing with the broad mite damage.

After applying Sea-Crop and Silica, I've seen a slight improvement in the worst affected plants, and a slower progression of symptoms in the least affected plants.

I've never seen ANYTHING like this in all my years of growing, and am seriously wondering whether it's just a weird form of broad mite damage (last year was my first time experiencing their wrath) that I'm unfamiliar with, root aphids, some type of fungal/bacterial disease, or something else...

The problem is at first isolated to the new growth, and extends from there.
    I've also noticed that the bottom most branches on one of the plants have wilted and died, and are 'popping' off the main stem EXTREMELY easily.  POP!  When removed, the center of the branch, the XYLEM, looks brown...

I've noticed Cucumber Beetles, but it's hard to imagine they could be the source of such severe damage.

PLEASE HAAAAAALP!!!!!

IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg

And look at this mutant leaf! (possibly caused by previous broad mite toxins before their control via pesticides)
    IMG_0635.jpg

2. #2 Vee, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2015
    Multiple issues here, and although in organic soils you have  no problem smothering your plants in chems....?

dude, you do intend to inhale these residues..? 

Brown xylem is perhaps indicative of mold issues, if not inside the stem them lower down in the rootzone, look poke carefully, and sniff for the tell tale sign of decaying rootlets, and roots

the recent burn on new growth is indicative that you have applied something recently perhaps in the last month that was obviously way to strong for the plant to cope with resulting in this mid to serious nutritional burn, this can be corrected with a flush

Bugs as above, they love weak plants as guys love free burgers..!

I'd be potting up to the next size bag, if now in a 3 us gall. 12 liter, or pot up to a 5 us gall, 18 liter, and ensure the mix is organic, but 50% river sand, or perlite, and mix in a 20% volume of neem cake or 2 liters of dilute neem oil per pot.
    Neem oil is organic, its systemic, kills molds and bugs with ease, breaks down quick under UV over time, once you have potted up, spray neem via foilar, by adding 1/2 teaspoon to a 500ml, hand sprayer fill with warm water shake and spray 2-3 times per day until clear, also once you have potted up ...flush well, allow over night to drain
    remember bugs are only attracted to weak plants
    good luck