1st Grow 420W (actual) LED, RDWC, Blue Dream

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by ice_cream_man, May 26, 2015.

1. I actually already did, it was a striking resemblance.. I don't think Ralph had quite the following that Jerry did. But seems as though he was also genius!

2. NOOOOO.  Pythium is returning despite DM Zone.  Res temp hit 74.  Roots are browning and binding to each other.

My chiller fittings should be here in the next couple days.  I hope my girls can hold on until I get the chiller running.

Added 2 drops bleach per gallon last night.  Will change res out again tonight and use aggressive DM Zone.  I am thinking about using tap water rather than RO.  My tap is fairly good at about 70 ppm.  I am hoping the chlorine in the tap will discourage the pythium.

3. Soory to read about the root rot dude it happens to the both of us.
    You should consider making a tea from worm castings and a bennefical bacteria called baccillus.
    Not only will this tea tackle your root rot it also gives a plant a great immune boost too.

4. #44 ice_cream_man, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
    HOUSTON, THE CHILLER HAS ARRIVED.

I spent a couple hours setting up the chiller, modifying the cabinet and sterilizing the entire system.

I gave the girls H2O2 baths at 2 cups H2O2 in 5 gallon buckets filled with water (including the hydroton).

I ran 10 gal H2O with 1/2 gal bleach for 30 mins through the entire system and sterilized everything, including all tools with the bleach solution. I then ran plain H2O through the system for an hour.

Finally, drained and filled with water, added 20 ml DM Zone, 550 ppm nutes and set pH to 5.8. I removed the dead fan leaves near the bottom of the plants and returned them to their home.

Things look ok today. No sign of slime or pythium. The girls are sprouting new white roots. One has a bit of droop, but I hope they will recover. The chiller is keeping everything at a cool 63-35 degrees F.

This has been one hell of a first grow. Two near catastrophes with pythium have things way behind schedule. Hopefully, things will turn around.

I will post some photos soon.

5. Day 45 / Veg 21

Temps 71 min 85 max
    Ph: No change; 5.8
    ppm: No change 600
    Res Temp 65
    Size: 9"

My girls survived. It's been a week since sterilizing the system, roots and adding the chiller and things are looking great. I cleaned out many dead leaves on the lower part of the plant. There are still several leaves that are lighter than I would like, but I am happy things are turning around. The girls are growing fast. The two pyth outbreaks have me about a 3 weeks+ behind where I wanted to be.

Slight nute burn on tips, lowered ppm to 600 a few days ago.

Topped today. Wanted to do it earlier, but wanted to wait until they recovered from the shock of the pyth outbreak and sterilization. About 3" below the scrog screen.

View attachment 158587

View attachment 158588

View attachment 158589

View attachment 158590

6. Day 46
    Veg 22
    Temp min/max: 71/84
    Humidity min/max: 35/55
    Res Temp 65
    pH: 5.8; pH change: 0; pH adjust: 0
    ppm: 603; ppm change: +3; ppm adjust: 0

Continuing to veg. Roots look good. Hoping pythium is behind me. Maintaining with DM Zone with added water and H2O2 every 3 days.

View attachment 158631

View attachment 158633

View attachment 158632

7. Both looking good. One on the left there it looking a little yellow. The one on the right is looking awesome happy happy happy. Keep the updates coming. Don't fall off like I did hahaha.

8. #48 lalamann, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
    hey man lookin great, the new layout is finally letting me post again, I cropped out a week early at 2.6 ounces dry of some fine fine dank for my first hydro grow, only have two pics left of her dry, this is what was left as of about five days ago......here she is [​IMG] wish I could have let her finish up but ended up with bad rot due to my tub being way to small for a plant this large, and overdosing her on nitrogen didn't help either
    Trainwreck x pr 98 og in the bag :cool:

Attached Files:

9. Glad to hear you got some nice bud. 2.6oz for a first hydro grow plus gaining more knowledge does not seem that bad to me. Sorry to hear about the rot :(. Next time will be even better!

10. #50 ice_cream_man, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
    Day 54
    Veg 30
    Temp min/max: 71/78
    Humidity min/max: 35/55
    Res Temp 65
    Changed res
    pH: 5.8;
    ppm: 567

It's been 8 days since I updated, but i figured daily veg pics are not exactly that exciting.

I am very happy that my girls recovered so well. They are growing very fast and got quite bushy after topping.

Replaced my tiny filter with a Can 2600. Was getting a slight sweet smell outside cabinet. CFM a lot better now. Although hydro store guy said other filter was a match, I think it was restricting the fan. Temps within 10 degrees lights on and off now.

View attachment 158926

View attachment 158927

View attachment 158928

View attachment 158929

11. that was give or take, weighed on a cheap package scale wet, subtracted 75% and got 2.6. when it hit that weight I jar'd her up and started smoking lol.
    I'm pound considering was under 100% fluorescent ighting.

12. Everything looks really nice. The pic of those 2 plants sure looked healthy.

Questions: I remember earlier in the post you were considering getting a chiller, did you in fact ever do that? It looks like your rez temps are pretty cool for this time of year. I ask as I have been recently looking at a few chillers and Im just not sure if I would be going overkill by getting one or not. I am interested in a 1/10 HP one for like $279 or something. You mind dropping some thoughts on the matter.

Thx,
    Linux

13. My thoughts are to get one. It is definitely worth it.

I did get a chiller. I could not do it without one. I almost lost my plants twice due to pythium. I really cant believe they survived, it was that bad. After getting a chiller, things are great. I am still operating with a dead res. I am a little worried because I just put the scrog screen in and can no longer lift the plants to inspect the roots. In my two other outbreaks, the roots were completely fucked before the foliage showed any sign of a problem.

I got a deal on a used one.

14. This is great info. You talked me into it.

Couple of last things. Do you use yours all year or only when its "hot" be that Summer cause of heat or winter cause of heating. Also, did your chiller cause a significant increase in your power bill? Perhaps no more than what an A/C would do?

Never thought about not being able to inspect the roots due to scrogging. Well, I am getting some hydroguard. Hope that will help. I mean everyone else is able to do Hydro without issues, but I know my luck, LoL.

Thanks for the info.
    Linux.

15. Good to hear you are getting a chiller.

This is my first grow so I have not reference to determine whether or not I will need my chiller in the winter.

I did not notice much increase in the cost to operate the chiller. I am only chilling 12-15 gallons so it is not exactly working very hard.

As for everyone else being able to do hydro without issues, I am not sure that is so accurate. Temp control is a big issue in dwc. A simple search of dwc root rot, brown slime, algae, etc will bring up countless examples of people struggling with these issues as well as countless remedies.

Good luck!

16. Don't worry, Im keeping a close eye on this.
    I'll chat more with ya later when I can. Gotta work tomorrow. All lookin great though.
    Later,
    Linux

17. Looking good man keep it up

18. OK ok, I'm checkin' it.

Quick question: So you can flip it to flower even with all of the growth still below the scrog net. I mean, I get what the point of the scrog is (even canopy etc) its just been my observation (not experience).....observation, that most people's scrogs that I have seen usually flip when they have growth comin' up through.

I seriously hopeyou don't think I'm swingin' at you here, I genuinely do not know the answer.

Other than my retarded a$$ question, all looks good here :)

Let me know whats up my man,
    Linux