Your local unique animal

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Deleted member 281310, May 25, 2015.

1. #1 Deleted member 281310, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    I was just reading something in PYT and got me thinking about alligators and realized that not many places in the world are home to the alligator. I'm in south Florida the only place where alligators and crocodiles coincide. dinosaurs all around me

• Like Like x 1
  2. Out here in the desert/canyons, the rarest animal would be the mountain lion.

Only seen it twice here, about 50 yards from my old apartment.

3. Here in Clovis it's jackrabbits, in Fresno it's chickens. Reminds me of this one time big long ago, on a field trip to san juan bautista, we were walking through the town and there were chickens everywhere.

4. I was born in North Carolina, and their are alligators in a few places. They aren't as prevalent as in Florida though. I live in Virginia now, and there are Mountain Lions that are rarely seen and Coyotes that are rarely seen. We have some unique plants too like the "Jack in the Pulpit." It looks like a pitcher plant. it evolved to do some pretty weird stuff to get pollinated. 

5. Are the aggressive kind?
    Out here in the high desert, I've encountered very aggressive jack rabbits, very tall and lanky but will grunt and charge at you.

6. no they seem pretty skittish. 

7. Barton springs salamander. Named for the only place in the world it's found.  

8. OP.. thats interesting, how common are the crocs and gators. That would be scary as shit

9. I would say the desert tortoise. Im 99% certain that thing is a myth

10.  It's impossible for me to pick one, california is home to a buttload of endemic animals..  

I guess our enormous population of mealy parrots, monk parakeets, ringneck parakeets, and budgies are a good example of something unique to our area, despite them being invasive feral pets lol

11. I live up in Canada eh lol, we got beavers, moose and bears as our main icon for unique animals

12. The national animal for Scotland is the Unicorn, but i've never actually seen one. [​IMG] 
    Don't think we have any animals that you tend to only see here, but there is the Highnland cow and the odd Panda. 

13. We've got the Dragon on our flag. Although like MissBonnieBud I havent seen one either.
    There's nothing really fancy around here, I found out we had otters in the woods by me the other day, and theres an exotic pet shop down the road. I guess the most exciting animal around here is this massive cat with a phantom of the opera type marking on his face, I'm pretty sure he's local in the sense of the neighbourhood, but I wouldn't go touting him as our cities new mascot or anything.

14. #14 Deleted member 281310, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    They are all over the place here in Florida but start getting out of hand the more south you travel. You wouldn't really find them in your neighborhood (although I've seen plenty of alligators in the pools on the news and I rarely watch the news so maybe it is common) And about 10 minute drive from where I live you can go to the everglades which is Florida's largest national park. That place is steaming alligator territory, they'll just be everywhere, it's like fuckin alligator land. The only real predator they have ever faced down here I think are huge ass pythons that were brought over from south America or god knows where. Though I remember them having a python hunting competition in hopes of cleaning the area of them. Crocs are found a lot more south I hear where the salt water starts merging with the swamp water and rivers and all the fresh water. I'm not sure if I've seen one around here but I don't think so.

15. Washington DC
    Black Squirrel
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Black_Squirrel.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gators & Florida Panthers

17. i used to live in New York City, almost out in long island. I lived there for 17 years and in all that time I only once saw a pair of foxes. It was like seeing Ho-Oh or something, my mind was blown.

18. I got a bunch of iguanas and chickens, I've heard rumors of saltwater crocs down here in Fl but I've yet to see one

19. Platypus.

• Like Like x 1
  20. The flying tree squirrel. she's a rare sight, but when I see her I am sure to be just as high in the trees. [​IMG]