Possible Nitrogen Deficiency

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Macoña, May 25, 2015.

1. Hello fellow growers,

This is my first out of vegetative stage plant ever and I've been strugling with a situation that seems to be a Nitrogen deficiency. I've been reading and looking at the forum for similar situations and your opinion would be really appreciated about the status of the plant based on the picture. The setup has 6 42W CFL lights and the plant is sharing the space with another plant that is still in vegetative stage with unknown sex. Lights are keep about 3 - 5 inches from the plants and I've praticed LST on the plant. I'm using filtered water.

The strain of the seed is unkown and being aware of the consequences of using Miracle-gro soils, I've used the Organic Potting Mix since I don't want to invest too much money in seeds I've got from a random bag.

To fight the supposly Nitrogen deficiency I've used a 14-14-14 plant food. I've added 1 table spoon per galon of water and treated the plant with the same amount after 7 days but it seems like the plant keeps getting worst.

I've been taking in consideration the recipe mentioned by floyd123 about 1/3 of a tsp of fish emulsion in a gallon of water mixed up to correct this problem.

Any thoughts/recommendations about this? In advance thank your for the hints.

Attached Files:

2. Fish emulsion is good for the issue your haveing but it also looks a little over watered so back of that a little bit as well

3. The plant needs more aeration. It's not a nitrogen issue at all, it's a root issue that presents as nitrogen.
    ~ poke
    Also keep in mind fish emulsion contains trace amounts of toxic metals, like Mercury. Which cannabis WILL absolutely uptake. Something to consider.

4. #4 12valve, May 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
    I agree with poke, the curling down and brightness is usually root/transplant shock of some kind.  I got it within a day of transplanting yesterday.

You might want to consider mixing a better batch of soil, and repotting into moist soil and a straight pot that doesn't taper in since roots seems to bundle near the bottom.  

*If its a good potting soil with fertilizers, the plants shouldn't need food yet at all, that will just hurt it. 

5. Thank you guys for giving me a light! I will address the problems mentioned here, over watering, aeration and possibly re-do the soil to get a more balanced/moist environment. I will update the post as soon as I notice improvements.

6. To give you an update of the plant:

I've transplanted the plant to a new mix that now includes pure perlite to improve aeration. I've also added a layer of lava rock to the bottom of the plant pot and a few lava rocks on the top (as seen on the picture). Unfortunately I'm still using the same non-straight plant pots which I understand affect the plant growth (specially after I had to re-do the soil mix and learned about the root system of the plant and how it concentrates mostly on the bottom as 12valve mentioned above). I Also added a temperature instrument to make sure the plant is around 85 F during the day and around 75 F at night.

At the moment I've noticed the claw and discoloration on certain leaves, bud growth has improved considerably and I've also noticed what seems like tricomes on the leaves (hopefully).

What are your thoughts on the update?
    update.jpg

Root system of the plant (Had to tap gently to remove the old soil without damaging the roots)
    root-system.jpg

Close up of bud (Seems like tricomas on the leaves)
    bud.jpg