trying to yield 3lbs a harvest with LEDs any suggestions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by doncannon, May 24, 2015.

1. You wont get 3lbs off those, you'll need at least 2 Mars II 1600w lights in a 4x8 or 8x8 tent/room with DWC or flood tables and maybe you'll get that. Or more smaller lights, more plants and a larger area.

Supply a little information about your medium, current lighting and nute regiment and maybe we can give you some advice on how to get the most out of your plants, but I'd say be happy with what ever you get and use this first grow to learn how to maintain healthy plants from start to finish.

2. Surely he meant 3 ounces!

3. Lol@ hotbunz no 3 lbs was correct not from these these are just a little project with h cfls ....tim trying to learn everything before I go into the leds

4. Thanks for the advice fullmetal ...thats pretty much what I was doing w week th this first one I just wanted some info and specs on what I would need to yield 3lbs a harvest

5. 3 pounds a harvest??? Hmm let's see.....The easy way....grow your plants outdoors for the full harvest season...or grow at least 5 medium size plants with a hella lot of cfls...or do how I'm doing it... go with S.O.G 

6. Like I always say, don't weigh your harvest before it's successfully grown, harvested, dried and cured.  Then weigh your harvest.  I think you're being a little ambitious.  Good luck, mate.  Is this your first grow?  it seems like it as you don't give any of the necessary information for people to give you advice.

7. #8 GoldGrower, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2015

You will need to be using about 3000 watts and it will take up around 50 square feet of area. LEDs usually only use around half of their rated watts so a 1200 LED actually uses about 600watts. So you would need around 5x 1200w LEDs. In addition to this you will also need to know what you are doing. Mistakes cost weight so the best way to add weight is to grow it right

Edit....
    Each 1200 LED lighting up a 3x3' area can give you 10oz.
    So this multiplied by 5 should do it 

8. Thanks for all the feedback.... hey joker the grow im showing is just a minigrow im doing with cfls just tryin to learn how to perfect my craft
    @GoldGrower u think it will take that many lights for 3lbs? Because ive heard different suggestions

9. #10 GoldGrower, May 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015

I wouldn't have said it if I didn't think that. It's certainly possible to do it with less, but it's not easy and for someone with very little experience I would say pretty much impossible. 10oz from 600 used LED watts is not a low yield. I have seen many people with less but it's certainly a fair goal.

What other suggestions have you heard? 

Go check out the journal section for LED grows and see what yields people are getting

10. Ok thanks man i may just be overzealous but a guy was telling me 2 300 watt ledlights would dc be enough for it it seemed a little light to me as well my whole purpose for the leds was to try y and prevent heat b Be cause I have no ventilation so gold grower if u could, would u inform me of a decent setup where I could yielyield 2-3 lbs a harvest your energy will not be in vain I intend to follow the iinstructions to the letter im really tryi g to achieve this goal.......oon a sisde note the minigrow I have going witb the cfls has just ran into a bump in the road.... we werent able e to switch the lights off at 12/12 well They were cut off due to the timer but the box wasnt covered to prevent the light leaks so I just cut them back on and figured I would let them run an additional 12 and flip them back off will this hurt my y chamchances at flowering theyve been flowering for 8 days

11. 3 lbs.. good luck. Will need around an 8-12 ft plant. In norcal theres ppl using supersoil and growing full seasons & getting 3-5 lb plants and they are around 10-13ft plants. They of course use training techniques and top.

3 pounds from 2x 300w LEDs is absolutely impossible, no question. 

To grow 3 pounds you are better off with HPS because they are cheaper to buy and much easier to deal with the heat. 

How much room do you have to dedicate to growing? And what is your initial budget? 
    Also, how much electricity can you run in your area? 
    3 pounds per harvest may be impossible no matter what lights you have if you don't have enough room or can't run enough electricity through your wiring

13. Gotcha....well room and electricity are no problem although I am in the midwest and would like to keep my energy consumption down due to legalities budget is also no problem I am dedicated to the outcome
    I have an entire basement for room

Well, my previous suggestion of 3000watts and about 50 square feet is what I'd go with. Definitely do hydro because it makes it way easier to get bigger yields.

It's technically possible to get 3 pounds from 2000watts but it's not a realistic goal for most people

15. Thanks Gold what about ventilation if I use hps or mh ive never used either

16. Also update on my cfl grow I slipped and missed my light flip by 5 hours so I just continued the light cycle for the entire cycle and flipped them back off at the 12th hour mark on the second go round I watered them with plain water a ass well no nutes this time I also raised the lights an inch because a few tops were touching ..... today when I checked them they had grown into the lights again wow....wnow im scared I revegged them due to the rapid growth ...they were flowering for 8 days up until that point yesterday

Attached Files:

17. From today as well

Attached Files:

Using 5x 600watt lights or 3x 1000watt lights, you will need air cooled hoods and some acoustic/insulated ducting. Air cooled is needed when you have a room that big to keep a proper flow going. 2x good quality 8" exhaust fans will take care of the lights if you can have cool air coming in from outside the grow room and also exhausting outside too. A single 8" fan exhausting the room through a carbon filter and a 6" drawing air in from outside should take care of the spent air in the room 

This is a very large project and I very much recommend you buy a standard 4'x4' tent, a 600hps, and a 6" fan first to learn how to grow. Once you have a couple of grows under your belt you will be able to expand on this. Going all out on a 3000watt grow is going to have some teething problems that you will have to work out while you are learning how to grow at the same time. It's not that easy 

19. Ok gold ill bite because the concern seems genuine but under a 600 hps how much could I yield max ...u see I need to supplement my situation asap so Im shooting for a decent yield