Stargazing While High

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by HiggyDiggyDawn, May 20, 2015.

1. Yeah, I tend to gaze with awe at the stars above, I look up for inspiration, tranquility, a sense of curiosity, and discovery. Astronomy is the shizz!

2. Someday I'd love to see the Northern lights while high.

3. Looking at the stars is great.

Awe inspiring and shit. I wonder how a "primitive" cultures would react if they were brought and large telescope. If I had a lot of extra money I'd buy a 12 in scope and give it to a desert culture. I'd imagine they would appreciate being able to see the "heavens" a little bit better.

Though I love looking at the stars every time I'm in a dream looking at the stars I always get a fear of falling type of effect. Like I'm standing on a skyscraper or something. I still don't understand why this happens but my guess is that it's my subconscious feeling inferior to the scale of universe.

4. I'm always looking at the southern cross when i smoke outside at night.

5. I've been trying to get a beginner's grasp on astrophotography. It's always been really interesting to me

6. Remember star gazing one night about 2 months into my smoking career we where camping about 80 miles out of town at the lake me and a girl I was into blazed a couple bowls went to the dock laid back we seen at least 280 shooting stars was a magical night no doubt. Sadly to much light pollution everywhere now. Went to a secluded lake awhile back with my fam n uncle got on top of the rv to blaze a doobie looked up and holy shit pure amazningness. Wish I could go back to south Dakota tho :/ was 10 yrs old when we went up there and most amazing views of the milky way I've EVER seen in my life want to encounter this sight baked just like woah :)

7. stargazing feels amazing even when you're sober. I did it once after a wm when I was really angry at myself when I was going through some shit and it really made me feel better haha. like just thinking about how vast the universe is, and the possibility of life in each bright star/galaxy that we are able to see. it really humbles me in a way haha. we're so cooped up in our problems and sometimes we just need to think about how much these little thinks can ruin our life on this earth..

8. I used to do when I went late night blunt walking, maybe should I revisit.

9. only constellations i tend to remember are Orion's Belt and the little and Big Dipper. Looking up every once and a while is amazing if you just think about it...

10. makes me feel like how small we are including the fact that they are all stars and we are just one small human on a small planet within one of a possibly infinite amount of star systems

11. I love stargazing. I make a game of picking out planets and satellites.

12. It'd be perfect to roll a few blunts and lay under the stars for a few hours. Maybe in the middle of New Mexico or somewhere without light pollution

13. Exactly! Then I start thinking about the potential alien species in our universe

14. Hey all, I'm a rather serious life-long amateur astronomer with big telescope and all. My GF and I go up to a huge star party every summer up in the mountains a couple hours from here. 4-5 day event at huge area for camping and RVs (strict rules about fires, white lights and generators). It's a gathering of 300-500 astronomers and telescopes of all kinds and sizes, info tents, activities (like daytime hikes that are guided), vendors, food, espresso, raffles, etc. One of the best things is a cool nighttime talk given by one of the organizers and it's always a lot of fun and fascinating stuff, lore and fact. Everyone sits down in their chairs around in a big circle while he talks and uses a green laser pointer to point things out.

After that, we'd go back into our camp, talk to neighbors, go around to other big scopes for awesome views and conversation. Then back to our camp for a couple more views through my scope (for some of you out there who may recognize it: Meade 10" LX-200 Classic). But the best part is laying back in our loungers, bundled up if necessary, relaxing to music or nothing at all, hot cocoa in hand, looking straight up at the summer Milky Way. Then, after a bit, falling asleep a while. First do understand that it takes the average person's eyes about 45 minutes to fully dark-adapt, which is why bright lights are verboten after 8 and only red light is allowed-but when fully adapted, you don't really need a light anyway. After waking up and opening our eyes....BAM! I mean...WOW...the night sky and all of its glittering jewels just POPPED out and blew our minds. When you're relaxed your eyes allow more of the visual spectrum light and colors to be seen, on top of being dark-adapted.

We haven't done it yet because recreational weed wasn't yet legal, but we suspect that some hits off of Blue Dream would just make that previously described scene just....explode. We're looking forward to it.

Especially love the bolides that come crashing through the atmosphere (these are the SUPER bright "shooting stars" that are just attention-grabbing....often brighter than the Moon and called "fireball") and the various meteor showers. During the day, our Sun with a specially made telescope and Hydrogen-Alpha filters (seriously, kids, do NOT look at the sun directly through a telescope unless it has filters specifically made to block out literally 99.999% of the Sun's light) looks stunning and alive. Oh and 2017...we will be there for the relatively rare Annular Solar Eclipse ("Ring of Fire") and we will be right under the path of totality for a perfect view. Yes!