The Anarchist Idea of Donation Programs - And How It Can Go Wrong

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 839659, May 20, 2015.

1. this thread is interesting because I work at firehouse subs.

Firehouse has its own charity called the public safety foundation.

Its corporate policy that tips are not allowed to be accepted at firehouse, because they want that money to go to a good cause, (their charity/tax writeoff)

Yay for stealing from the poor and giving to the rich, and their mafiosos.

-yuri

I don't know what any of that means. But Firehouse Subs is pretty good.

https://bccancerfoundation.com/faq/how-much-my-donation-goes-towards-research-and-how-much-towards-administrative-costs

It's not all evil doers ...

4. its thread relevent because its about how they use charity to get richer

-yuri

5. In order for the tax write off to take place, charitable giving has to occur, am I right? I mean it's better than nothing at all

6. How does that work? How do they use charity to get richer? Say some rich fat at bastard donates 100,000.00 to charity. How much richer is he after he writes that 100K check? And where did all that extra money come from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Tax credits for giving to charity is another backhanded tax on those who dont give to charity.

8. But if you could make more money by giving to charity, why wouldn't everyone be giving more so they could get richer?

9. #29 wafdof, May 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
    I love how folks think we can survive without taxes that are the ones probably most dependent on it. I say bring it on. I paid about $125k in total taxes (not including sales taxes) last year and was hit by the AMT. I could afford to pay for most anything out of pocket. Go to a pay library? Doubt most others could afford it. Toll roads everywhere, it would cost $100 to drive one trip to work OR the roads would be only passable by 4 wheel drive like in other 3rd world countries. Water? Sewage? Schools? Few could afford it. National parks? Gone. Food stamps, social security Medicare. Gone gone gone. Think you can live without social security? Doubtful. I certainly could, I just retired and Still have a six figure income. But A majority of recent retirees largest source of income is SSI. America would not even be a country right now it would be part of Mexico, Japan, Russia or Germany. No military.....or did you think that was free too????

Want to see a "pay as you go society"? You won't have to look hard or far. Look at subsaharan Africa. That is what you get without taxes and infrastructure. We are the largest part of several of those countries GDP. Yes, your tax money goes there.

Name ONE country that has no real taxes that has 1/10000000 what we have.

Trust me I welcome anyone that has a better system.  I am not rich, I am in the top 3% yes, but the leap to the top 1% is HUGE.  The real truth is without taxes I would have NEVER be able to make the money I did because there would be no infrastructure for my job to even need to exist in the first place.

10. If everybody did that and got a tax break the govnt would have to

A. Cut back spending

B. Raise taxes

Which option is more likely?

If i get back more than i put in then from where is the money coming? I dont want a handout or a handjob, i want them out of my hair.

11. Imagine if they could have put the money SS stole into a Roth IRA? What would produce a better return?

What other country is $17+ trillion in debt?

12. I'm just here waiting for dr sheldoncooper to make an argument

Sent from my intergalactic spaceship hotbox

13. Saw this and was gunna post it, beat me to it. I find this shit disgusting, how could you live with your self knowing your a part of this

14. I've received calls asking for money, from very suspicious sounding charities which may have been connected with the ones in the OP post, one of them was for childhood cancer.   I would never donate anything to a charity that calls me on the phone, and this includes ones for the police, wounded veterans and their families, and breast cancer.     

15. You are missing the point. The real point is that no matter how high your tax rate, you can't get richer by giving away money to charity for the sake of the deduction. You can only deduct half of charity donations and the tax deduction saved is always a LOT less than the amount donated. The idea that it is possible for corporations to get richer by donating to charity for the tax deduction has no basis in reality.

16. wrong again.

In almost every single case, the corporations dont donate to the charities. The patronage does.

They literally use their customers' donations as a tax writeoff.

-yuri

17. You rely on mindless retorts too much. (If you only ever did it that time, it's too much). For me to be wrong again, you would have to have pointed out that I was wrong before. FAIL on that count

And the way I explained the tax deduction works was not wrong. Period. I don't know of ANY corporations claiming deductions for donations their patronage makes. That's not even how the tax laws work. If you're going to speak in generalities at least use generalities that have some preponderance of truth supporting them rather than belying them. It looks silly if you don't at least do that. FAIL on that count, too. Bitch about those "evil corporations" all you want and I won't rain on your parade but if you stick your ass out to contradict something I said that is very reasonable, I will paddle it a little bit. ;)

18. #38 yurigadaisukida, May 22, 2015
    Might want to skip to bottom of this post

Papabull wasted a lot if text space with nonsensible babble

LOL. OK. Please continue...
    It was wrong because its based in the false premise that one would donate their own money to a charity for a tax writeoff. Then you proceeded to explain how your net gains would be negative.

But still based on a false premise and therefor wrong.
    Wait. What?! Your joking right?

You've never walked into McDonald's and seen that donation box for the Ronald McDonald charity?!?!?!?

Or is it that you think the corporation is the one filling that box?
    I didn't make any claims in my.post as to how tax laws work
    I'm not the one speaking in generalities

Maybe read your own post before sounding like a hypocrite maybe?
    ???
    How high are you? LOL
    My claim was pretty simple. When you walk into wallmart of vons or.McDonald's, there is a charity box for their corporate charity.

That is literally them using your money as their own tax writeoff.

That was the claim you quoted and failed to disprove. Do you refute my claim?

-yuri

19. Wow. Why don't you report therm to the IRS? If you were half as smart as you thought you were, you would realize that it is not legal to do what you say they are doing. Anything they take in must be dealt with through generally accepted accounting practices. Unless you know exactly how the money is accounted fr, you are talking out your ass to say that it turns into "corporate profits".

If you want to support your claim that corporations are getting richer by counting customer donations to charities as THEIR OWN donations to charities, then prove it by explaining exactly how the accounting transactions work out to achieve that end. If not, then all you have is a ridiculous, spurious rant.

20. #40 papabull, May 22, 2015
    Here is an HONEST and INFORMED criticism of these checkout charities.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/retail/donate-a-dollar-at-the-register-checkout-charity-is-big-business-for/2139533

I hate them, too, but it's not because they are lining the corporate coffers with tax deductions. They don't do that. What they do is try to buy public relations and goodwill with boasts about the millions they raise for charity while it's their customers actually putting up the dough. The corporations don't profit directly from that. If you could prove they did, you'd have all the IRS would need to jump on them with both feet.