Question Regarding Wiring My Own Lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by TheComandant, May 20, 2015.

1. I recently set up my own grow space and I am in the process of getting all my lighting set up. I am doing this as low budget as possible to start out and I have a question regarding wiring my own lights. I am going to be using 17 gauge wire and some pretty basic light fixtures. The wire I am using came from a broken vacuum cleaner. I figured it would be heavy enough gauge to be safe and that it would be better to repurpose the cord than to just throw it away. The "pretty basic" light fixtures I am talking about are more or less just a spot for a single light to screw in and one black and one white wire coming from the other end. About a week ago I wired the light fixture to this cord, taped it off well, plugged it into the wall and it worked fine. As a matter of fact I have been using it since then on a 24/0 schedule and there have been zero problems.

The only problem I am having is that my grow area (and my house in general) have very few power outlets in each room. Seriously, this house must have been built a long time ago. The room that I run the cord from only has one open outlet that I can use. Basically my question is this... Is it safe for me to wire two of these fixtures into the same place at the end of the cord? I would be twisting the new white and black wires in along side the old ones. Two whites and two blacks from the light fixtures going to the white and black wires from the cord. It is working fine with the one fixture attached and again it is 17 gauge wire.

I apologize about stating my question a hundred times but I just want to make sure and give everyone a good picture of what I am trying to do here so there will be as little confusion as possible. Thanks everyone!