Change career paths

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Slilent, May 19, 2015.

1. Been working in the kitchen sense k was 17 and have only had 2 jobs not cooking. So blades how would j become a retail or work at a headshop

2. Just apply lol. Retail has like no requirements and all training is on the job.

3. Yeah, just apply. Who are k and j?

4. Man I personally wouldn't recommend going into retail, especially since you have no experience.
    With no experience you are just going to end up with minimum wage so $8-$9, and you might get a 25 cent raise every 6 months if your lucky.

5. Jobs require basic skill, mostly competency. Work requires pure will of the worker. And employment fills itself with these skilled and talented folk. Unskilled and unambitious leaves you in a cold, dark, unforgiving land of unfriendly characters hanging around in the shady alleys.
    Stark contrast, or reality?

6. Lazy people cannot grow weed.

IMO if someone wants access to the business; including sales...  they should know something about what they are selling.

I am creating my nitch in the market...  I believe there is plenty of opportunity. 

7. Why not build on your cooking experience?

8. The guys from Men in Black right? 

9. Getting a job at a headshop isn't that hard, I usually hang out longer than most people and chat up the staff. I've been offered a job 3 times like that but I cant stand people or retail, so y'know.

10. Don't go retail OP trust me. I worked a retail job the only year I went to college so I could make some money and it's not worth it.

Unless you're okay with asshole customers and minimum wage so be it. I worked at a retail store in a mall for like 9/10 months and my 15 cent raise was based on my sales/making customers start a charge card. Not worth it imo, there's better jobs out there.

11. Don't get a job at a headshop, trust me. Been there done that

12. Uhhh, I wouldn't really consider either of those things careers....jobs yeah, careers no

13. I just need something outside the kitchen that'll make me around the same 11 to 12
    $ if not more if anyone has real advice I'd be willing share a resuem

14. Construction.

Find an apprenticeship. Plumbing, electrician, framers, painting etc.

Good pay and you have a job for life. Just can't be afraid of back breaking work and getting dirty.

Check out temp agencies. You'll probably start by picking up trash on a job site but hey its a fucking job.

But yo... Retail sucks donkey dick..
    Wtf quoted someone from a different thread.....

15. #15 Broski'CBK200, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
    Listen to this guy advice.
    You do not want a job, what you want is a career, $11-12 isn't going to cut it in the long run, it might be enough for you right now, it might even be a lot for you right now but I can promise you 5 years from now it not going to be fun for you.

I think this is that time in your life where you need to think for the long term, "Think globally, not locally", in a few years do you see yourself getting by with $11? be real with yourself, and set the bar appropriately.

I would give you the same advice Jamaican hotbox gave you, and that is to pick up a trade and try to get an apprenticeship, depending on your luck you might get an apprenticeship that pays anywhere from $12-$15, and you will constantly get raises as you progress with your apprenticeship but that providing you impress.

5 years from now you will have your certificate and a solid career to your name with the potential of making more than $35/hr depending on your location, and how much good you're at your job.

Your choice man, but you do not want to be hoping from one minimum wage job to next.

16. Yeah, I went from being a pizza delivery driver...made pretty good bank, probably $2500 a month at least, workin like 35-40 hours a week (so like $20 an hour or so) but I didn't love the job enough to be like the other old ass dudes (bunch of my coworkers were like 45+) workin in a pizza joint for the rest of my life, so I dropped that job and am on my way to an associates degree in the personal training field. With a 2 year degree from the school I'm at I will easily be able to make $25+ an hour starting wages, then on top of commission for whatever personal training clients I will get, it's potentially like $45+ an hour. I will also be trained to work with athletes (children to adults) if that is the direction I chose to go in. So really find somethin you love to do...don't just do a job because it's good money either or you will just be in the same situation you are now again in like 5 years wanting to find something else..

17. Hold up... you made $20 an hour delivering fucking pizza?!

18. That's what I get for delivering in the area where all the Microsoft people live ;) I was makin like 9.25 in wages but like 11 an hour in tips