Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NorseMythology, May 19, 2015.

1. I agree we have access to them, but only used fully auto, which are very limited thus increasing the price a multiple times retail. Besides that, just because they are accessible doesnt mean civilians have them in equal quantity. On top of that they have i think $200per year permit. Needless to say, we dont have them in equal quantity as the military.

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE5JvbREc-o

This is a person who I listen to whenever he posts a video. Very insightful.

Nor should the people really have an equal quantity of military hardware.. but that is where we'll have to agree to disagree, cause I know you'll disagree with that. The people want to be militarized, and I'd be fine with the people wanting that as long as they don't bitch and moan about the state being militarized. In order for either or to back down, someone needs to take the first step. I highly doubt it'll be the people.. more like the people pushing the state to take the first step.. but they have to be willing to follow suit afterwards.

4. #44 NorseMythology, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
    Im dropping the argument about guns.

When you say people, i think i know what you mean, then you say state (do i take that to mean the federal government or state police or armed services?)

In my view the state IS the people.

Aside from that, what do you mean the people want to be militarized?

5. #45 NorseMythology, May 21, 2015
    Whoever you mean by 'state' im glad you realize its a faction (apart from the people). We the people formed the government to secure our liberties, justice etc. Now, as you correctly point out, they are no longer united in purpose, its one vs the other, us vs them. That is the paramount problem IMO, not the problem you framed above because it assumes this division as unproblematic.

Its like living in a dollhouse and complainig the door is too small, no the problem is the whole damn thing is too small.

Thats my take.

6. I think each person should have the right to carry arms.

7. I think no one has the right to tell anyone else they cannot do something, yet we have boneheads here that try to tell us we cannot ignite a plant and inhale the fumes.

"The state" is the government, collectively, all of it -- from your local dogcatcher to your state politicians to the president and congress, FBI, NSA, any and all cops, all military.

It is in opposition to "the people," who are the citizens just living their lives, making a living in the private sector, minding their own business.

9. My view of the state is pretty much this and what Fizzly said in the first paragraph, don't really agree with the negative view point on the state as with his second paragraph, but that's just me. I don't think the state is unproblematic.. there are many problems with it, but my view has always been that the root of the problem is the people, cause they make up the state. Granted a division has grown between the two, I don't think the division can be fully blamed on the state. Both the people and the state are to blame.. and it is kind of why I usually stay out of politics cause when you bring that idea up, everyone assumes you're pro government. Like with the people being militarized. I can't think anything else other than it is ridiculous when I see hunters with modified assault rifles to hunt with. I'm not a hunter, but I was raised by an old school hunter with a bow n arrow or simple bolt action rifle.. but no, these days we have people dressing up like militia to go hunting. Completely unnecessary in my opinion and personally, whenever I see a hunter with something more than a simple hunting rifle, I can't not think 'pussy'. The people want their guns and I don't think guns should be taken away, just that there are guns that really aren't needed. I think the whole 'we want them to defend ourselves against the state' is a convenient excuse.. cause in reality, we like to fuck shit up. They're destructive and that is what makes them sexy.. and that sexiness has worked it's way into our culture.

Like I said, I try to not single either side out.. the state is just as fucked as the people, but people usually only argue for one side over the other and middle ground people usually keep out of it. When they do get in it, at least one side assumes they're opposing them anyway.

10. True, both are to blame but when this system of having a state it tried and fails every single time in history without exception maybe it's time to realize that no matter who is to blame it is just not going to work and we try a new approach. We cannot do that though because people are afraid of change and personal responsibility and would much rather rely on a corrupted government to help them.

As to your second point, weapons that are or are not needed and what should be legal or illegal is your subjective opinion. you have absolutely no right you tell another person what they may or may not own regardless of what it is unless they infringe upon your rights or someone else's rights. there is no exception to this no matter what the item happens to be.

11. What makes something an "assault rifle"?

Military definition (as I recall): a rifle that can fire one round, a burst of usually three rounds with one pull of the trigger, or full auto.

Politically correct definition: Any gun that looks like it could be a military gun, i.e., pistol grip, flash suppressor, large magazine, etc. Except that civilian guns cannot be burst or auto fire without the NFA federal permit.

Anti-gun politicians have NO PROBLEM with cops or soldiers having these guns. But they have a huge problem with peaceful, law-abiding citizens having them.

That should tell you something.

13. The state is the people. A lack of awareness regarding the condition of ourselves and what we reality want is the only glaring obstacle in our path. Our world hasn't caught up with the higher mind. We have a world still revolving around the monkey mind and that's why we exploit others and ourselves but never win. We become defined by insecurities in a world of judge and be judged. Truly, we haven't accepted the natural divinity in this world which expresses totally at all times, in every way. We cannot find contentment in the natural way of things and that is all because of our own ego and insecurities. We are a confused population. If we took a moment to become aware of what this whole thing really is, we wouldn't have so much to say, we would rather be compelled to sit and listen. The universe has it's own melody, it's own perfect flow. The ego wants to create it's own, but it goes at odds with that perfect flow. The ego of society itself must be destroyed, only then can the perfect society arise.

14. My thoughts exactly.

Of all the platforms I own and use on a regular occasion, the only people who have ever called them "assault rifles" are people who truly don't know shit about firearms.
    It's kinda cute.

15. Where did the term originate? Its so ridiculous attributing a verb (with a clearly negative denotation) to an inanimate object. Similar to 'gun violence'.

Excessive force or police brutality?

I think these terms shroud the root problem, the people.

16. Would machine gun work better for you? I don't think we need anything more than handguns and simple hunting rifles.. cause a handgun is perfect for protection and a hunting rifle is perfect for hunting. If you need more than a bolt action hunting rifle to hunt, then you should rethink being a hunter. If you can't defend yourself with a handgun, I don't think it'd matter what kind of gun you use.. you're fucked. It's like people want to advance their guns so they don't have to advance themselves.. let's just go buy something that kicks out the bullets to make up for our lack of skill.

17. #57 JohnnyWeedSeed, May 21, 2015
    :unsure: have you even ever held gun? It is this kind of ignorance that is what pisses of gun owners more than anything and the kind of bullshit that leads to these arbitrary laws that have nothing but negative consequences for everyone.

Oh, and an AR or AK still isn't a machine gun. That's what tipped me of to your ignorance on the topic.

18. Oh sweet.. you telling me you disagree with my points and offering nothing else. That'll really progress a discussion..

19. Machine gun is a specific term too.
    It only takes a little research dude.

And the rest of the post, nobody has to justify their legal personal belongings to anyone regardless of how much one disagrees with it.

20. Bottom line is you have no right to tell me what I need or don't need as long as I do not harm you or anyone else with it. That is really all there is to this discussion.