Western Washington outdoor growers (oregon also :p)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by smokeNtoke99, May 18, 2015.

1. What's your opinion on being plants indoors to finish flower once daylight hours are around the 12 hour mark?

I don't mind setting up a structure to keep rain and such off them once September hits but I was thing there are 13 hours of light here in September so I could maybe bring them indoors to finish off and avoid the entire mold and mildew issue?

2. What is your soil mix for that pool? I've been think about doing that myself. I use a tweaked version of tga supersoil.

That is exactly what I would do in your climate, Id bring them inside in Sep at night.

4. Just at night, or throw them in my indoor tent and just finish them in there?

I'd leave them outside in the sun (i know that's a tall order there) and then bring them in at night. You may still have issues with mold inside if you are not careful because the plants will transpire water and that water has to go somewhere. If you have a few plants it may not be a problem but if you are doing it with ten or more then you have to keep air moving in the room, air exchange in and out..

6. Only doing 5 plants outdoors this year and I do have plenty of air exchange in my tents. I've been indoor growing long enough to have that environment on point

7. For me the great benefit of outdoor growing is that it is easy and cheap. For years I grew a localized strain that is impervious to everything except goats and teenagers. It can stand out in the autumn drizzle for weeks, and it will be in good condition at the end of October, when it is ready to harvest.

A number of BC seed companies sell variations on this strain, with names like "Texada Timewarp." It's tasty smoke, with an energizing buzz. It has scented the air around a woodstove or outdoor fire on many a night in my life. But it does not compare with what everyone seems to be smoking these days, the connoisseur herb sold in licensed stores..

So, I have become a dinosaur...

I live off the grid, with solar panels and a set of four golf cart batteries to power my house. I run everything through an Outback inverter to produce AC. I just ordered one of Sara's lights, the 100 watt 48x3 model. In September, I will bring one plant in and let it finish under that light. I'll have to keep my batteries up with a generator. My goal is to get two or three ounces of bud that can hold its own with the best on the market. Then I can compare it with the same variety finished outdoors.

Meanwhile I have the autos, which will finish before the equinox and the heavy rains. My experience with autos, years ago, was that they didn't produce much and the quality was so-so. But who knows what I was growing - seeds that someone gave me. Maybe this strain from Nirvana will be better. We'll see.

8. #48 sb420abc, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  9. #49 BrassNwood, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2015
    http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-14-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-61899.html This did a fair job of moving a 5 gal plant in and out daily to finish a spring run in the garage at 4 in the afternoon.. My buddy has 4 of them under a pallet he drags in and out of his patio every day to veg on..

Be careful bringing an outside plant inside without a complete decontamination.. That all to perfect inside environment can send a normally minor pest outside running wild inside..

Most strains have a 14.5 hour flowering trigger threshold.. At 15 they veg at 14 they flower.. 12-12 is just a handy number used indoors

10. Interesting link. I knew the autos were derived from low-potency strains, but I didn't realize the whole taxonomy was in need of revision.

I grew some autos one year, 20+ years ago. I didn't understand what I had, so I cropped them, and I ended up with very little bud. What I remember was that the quality was "ok" but not as good as the full-season variety I grew for quite a few years, which was developed commercially as Texada Timewarp.

Maybe this Dutch seed company has figured out how to blend everything together to create a satisfying user experience for about $6 per seed. I'll post photos and reports here as I bumble along.

11. To beat the Wa state rain, has anyone tried feeding a high pk booster throughout the entire season ? Obviously still feed the normal veg and bloom as well. It was suggested to me by a local indoor garden store employee, he claimed some of the best stuff he's had has come from this method while leaving the plants uncovered from rain. I'm just wondering if anyone's had success with something like this. Thanks.

12. Honestly sounds like a grow store employee trying to sell you excessive unnecessary nutes

13. I think it was a suggestion as no product was named, just a boost of pk. So you haven't tried this?

14. Didn't have to mention a specific product, if it gets you to buy more p or k heavy nutes.

Also like I said it just sounds like that not saying that's what happened. I just personally have never heard that extra nutes helping in the prevention of pm or bud rot or other related weather issues

15. Me either

Hmm. The underlying concept might be the same as 0-10-10 fertilizer. If so, it won't do anything to prevent rain damage per se, but it will ripen produce faster, so it can be harvested sooner. The plant directs all its energy into ripening what's already there instead of growing more. It really does work, with tomatoes or pot. Here's a plant that was rinsed and then zapped with 0-10-10 in September.

Attached Files:

17. #57 BrassNwood, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
      Unless you like to spend lots of cash and have all that energy mixing and hauling buckets of goo you can take the super soil route and do a mostly water only run.. My basic mix is Promix peat, Eco Scraps compost, Perlite, all from Home Depot..  Alfalfa pellets by the 50 pound bag.. Horse chow from the feed and tack store..
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html/page-1

As to taking time off the grow.. Using an MBT (Malted Barley Tea) can-may-might take a week, 10 days or even 2 weeks off your normal flowering times.. What's an MBT you ask.. Find a home beer brew shop and buy a pound of 6 or 2 row unroasted un-milled grain.. This should set you back a whopping 1 dollar a pound.. Give or take a few cents.. Your going to need a coffee bean grinder as well..
      1 ounce per gallon is the ratio.. Powder the grain in your grinder.. I use a handful and that about fills the grinder this makes 5 gallons that I bubble in a trash can 5 and it'll make most of the can in foam and bubbles as it's (brewing) 4 hours max and apply as a soil drench.. Use up to once a week but most do it 10 or 14 days.. You don't have to bubble it as it'll work just stirring it once in a while during the 4 hours.. Hell last I heard you can just grind up a handful and toss on the ground and water it in.. How simple is that ?? it's an enzyme shot that jumpstarts the microbes present in your organic soil..

Mold and Powdery Mildew.. I spray with Green Cure start to finish.. Get this at the hydro shop.. I don't know how bad the Powdery Mildew is in the PNW but it's bad in So Cal.. I spray every week without fail and still find it if I'm the least bit sloppy in my coverage..
      Caterpillars.. AKA budworms.. BT weekly.. I lost most of my first crop to the little bastards so this is even more critical then the Cure is.. You may have to look a bit for it but most places have it once you know what your hunting.. Here it's Bonide Thuricide from the garden center or Safer brand at the hydro store It'll say Caterpillar Killer in bold lettering and BT as well.. Both products are organic food production rated up to day of harvest and are the weakest but still effective products I've found.. Lets be honest we'd all like to use nothing but that's not going to happen outside and still get a clean crop..
      Just my 2 cents and how I get it done.. BNW

18. The SST has lots of enzymes with one that breaks down phosphorus. It also provides SARS inducers like chitinase which many people swear by for bud rot. Even just throwing some compost or EWC as a mulch will help even if using synthetic ferts. I've been really happy with these at least.

Do people here always light dep or is it possible to finish a strain that finishes 65-70 days?

19. I don't light dep, but that also means my plans dont finish till about the second week of October

20. yea Oregon gets around, 8 weeks of flower time? am I wrong? I think usually with a decent fall-sep/oct.