Whats with these leaves?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Sativa Scotty, May 16, 2015.

1. I water once every 5-7 days and there's three types of aeration.

2. You can say whatever, your garden says otherwise...diversity is cool and all, but you obviously still don't have enough drainage. 5-7 days might still be too much, idk though, its your garden. Try raising daytime temps to aid transpiration and be prepared to handle increased RH for a couple days after. 

I swear by oxygenating water, higher dissolved oxygen levels in water = no 'overwatering' = win. Overwatering = oxygen depleted water membrane. You see, water is weird in soil, it doesn't fill volume but instead adds a layer or membrane to everything. As the pot goes dry, this membrane thins out till its gone (Duh, lol) or the 'membrane' doesn't evaporate fast enough and becomes void of oxygen, THIS is overwatering. 

3. Why are only half the plants doing it then if it's overwatering?

4. Good question and same deal applies to the problems with the mix with 1/2 of the plants.

NOT A FUCKING CLUE!!!

I run into the same thing and I've been running the same plant for 6 years. You would think it would sorta be dialed in by now. LOL Same mix, water, lighting, everything, but while half look like HT cover shots, the other half just wither on the vine so to speak.

I just do plenty of extras and life goes on. Probably has a lot to do with the age of the host plants. The cumulative age anyway. The mix is the same for each batch of plants. Fresh, cycled or no, depleted and re-amended or no. Whatever it was, it was all the same for a particular batch of clones, and got the weirdness regardless.

Wet

5. What exactly are you talking about? Please give reference as well. Also, your "explanation" doesn't fit a breathable pot, when used correctly. Are you sure they aren't using one? More on this "water membrane".... What ya got?

Lu

6. They're all in the same bed, well mixed but I just put them in there without cooking it. All I know is they're from seed, all greened up within a couple days and half clawed, no drainage problems as water disappears into the soil.

If it doesn't like the mix, I don't grow it again. Problem solved :) haha

7. I'm just throwing this out there but perhaps there is too much aeration. The statement that the water just runs down into the soil has my attention. When I'm watering the water pools around the surface and slowly seeps into the soil. I have hardly any runoff, more like a damp ring where my pot was sitting when I water.

8. If you've ever read any of Tim Wilson's work on microbes you'll see him reference it frequently, mostly as it relates to colony growth etc. I don't see where the container effects this 'theory' as cloth would merely increase evaporation / DO2 levels, does the oxygen permeate the medium through to the center and increase O levels in the 'membrane', I don't know...

Google works for everyone and not just me, fyi :)

9. #29 Kesey, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
    This is also true of soil thats left to dry for too long. Experiment for yourself and you'll see that the first, oh I don't know 20% or so merely runs off the medium. SPM seems to require a 'soak' before it will actually take on water...

Sorry if I suck at explaining this stuff lol

I swear I'm going to get everyone hip to coir, lol, all these problems become a joke..

10. Your water should never pool on the surface. Too much aeration just makes you have to water more. If I was overwatering that would make nitrogen less available to the plant. You would see yellowing and a lighter green color. You would think that you needed to feed it more. It would not get super green and curl in a matter if days after TP.

11. The leaves in the pic she showed are crinkle and that is never due to overwatering. Over watered plants look sad. What she has shown is, to me anyway, an overabundance of nutrients available in the soil especially nitrogen.

My .02 cents.

12. #32 lusidd, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
    Turgor pressure, especially in a low/high solute soil is a tell tale sign. Those water membranes though....

Lu

13. Very much my outlook also. I do one mix and either they like it or don't get grown a second time.

Wet

14. Howdy Lucky. Lemme ask, did you mix your soil for each container individually or did you mix a large batch all at once and then parcel it out per container?

15. #35 ladyluckybean, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
    it was three batches dumped into a 100 gallon bed then mixed again. It's a Cali-O crossed with Sour Bubble and Gorilla Glue with the same SB. The phenos having issues have broad leaves while the skinny leaves are just fine. It's mostly the GGxSB.

I just thought it was weird some are fine with the uncooked mix while others got all crinkled and dark green claws. I had a Bubbas Widow that would do this on a couple leaves most of the time except sometimes the leaf would quit curling under and be normal again. I tried humidity and temps then I quit feeding her and I could never pin point what it was. Asked a few people who said they have plants that do that too. Nobody can figure it out. I just culled her. I don't have room for ugly temperamental plants. My other strains love the cooked mix so I'm just going to not mix and plant again.

I get that plants pick and choose nutrients and I shouldn't worry but I think that only works if the soil was built properly, cycled and ready. If it wasn't built with the right amounts of fertilizer or not completed nutrient cycling, then that doesn't apply and you will have burnt plants. Is that a safe assumption?

Here's the plants but they've grown out of it sorta. The bottom left is the one I showed the close up of. Then bottom right is the same/similar pheno all screwed up too. The one in the middle is more sour bubble and has grown more/recovered. The row in the back didn't do much other than get green as he'll. the middle in the top row got a little curly leafed but no crinkle like the others. I dunno.
    View attachment 1780474

16. I should have looked a bit more as I see you have a thread. I'll go take a look and see....

17. It says it uploaded the pic but it's not showing. Now it can't upload at all. Sorry folks. Lol

18. i don't talk about these plants on the thread much. We've been talking bout other things. Lol

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1432348896.527771.jpg

19. #39 Possuum, May 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2015

I gathered that by visiting your thread...lol I expected to see an outdoor raised bed not an indoor one. IDK, from where I sit your garden looks healthy. I tried raised beds once and I had some issues. I think my limiting factor was PAR and as a result what was happening below the soil line was not on par or in sync with what was going on above the soil line (in limited fashion) and thus things didn't go so well. And then again it might have just been so much soil mix and it wasn't blended properly, or it started composting because of so much dynamic material so sumpin... I prefer the 7.5g containers these days....[​IMG]