Kofidogs Papaya PC Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by kofidog, May 14, 2015.

1. #1 kofidog, May 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
    Ok guys, here we go - my lovely Papaya 2nd grow! Using the same setup as before:

mrgrowpro pc server case (with carbon filter modification), and 3 x 15 watt light strips; 

Growing medium: coco coir/perlite/ewc;

Nutrients: B.A.C. Organic Grow and Bloom liquid nutes (I will probably add some PK booster later);

Ultraclean Cal Mag;

Strain: Nirvana's Papaya. Here's Nirvana's description of this strain:

"Nirvana Papaya is a fast growing, disease resistant, and usually early maturing marijuana strain. This heavy, greasy cannabis indica stays short and dense, making it very suitable of SOG gardens. Papaya has an exotic tropical aroma that's also reminiscent of whisky pipe tobacco. The buzz from Papaya is relaxing, lethargic and almost narcotic."

The flowering period for Papaya is 7 - 9 weeks. I wanted to grow a medical strain because I'd like to have a go at making tincture and RSO.

This will be a single plant grow in order to maximise the available light and space in the pc cabinet. I am tempted to invest in a light upgrade. I'm thinking about purchasing a GrowCandy LB1 100 watt LED (100 REAL watts). It would fit in the cabinet nicely. My hesitation is partly because I'm afraid of stuffing up my light proofing if I try and install this light, and partly because I'm not sure if the expense is justified. The light costs about $300 AUS. Any feedback from you guys would be appreciated!

So here's my little Papaya girl 

20150514_083724.jpg  

Does anyone know how to rotate photos in Grasscity's editor? My other photos keep uploading upside down!

• Like Like x 1
  2. How old is your girl?

If you can you should check out Mars 2 lights. They cost about the same as your $300 light but they give a great spectrum with more watts than 100 watts.

Save money, gro bigger plants. 😏😏

I'm a bit tired tonight hahaha worked a 14 hour shift. But I hope my advice makes sense, mate!

3. #3 kofidog, May 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
    Hey GreenHack! Yeah, the only problem with most of the good LEDs i've looked at is that they are too big to fit into the pc case. I'd love to be growing in a tent, but that's out of the question while I'm living in this little studio apartment. It so happens that the GrowCandy LB1 would fit my mrgrowpro nicely. Check it out:  www.growcandy.com/growlights

Edit: My Papaya is currently 9 days old

4. Ah! I forgot you were still doing the pc grow! Dang, wish you could get a tent!! Hahha

5. Hi kofi, im subbed to this one ofcourse! 300$ for a 100watt is a little bit expensive I think, but maybe the prices are totally different where you are living?

6. Weedle! Glad you're on this thread! Well, the Aussie dollar is currently worth about US $ .80. So I suppose after you consider the exchange rate, shipping etc., it probably works out better to buy local, even it the prices are a bit more expensive. But having said this, I haven't actually done much research into as yet. I'll be doing that over the next week or so.

Sometime ago GreenHack recommended a product called Bio Weed, which looks like a great product. But when I went to purchase on Amazon I found out they don't ship this product to Oz! Even if they did, my experience is that the shipping can get ridiculously expensive - way more than the actual product being shipped!

7. I've been using this app called GrowBuddy. Great app! You can use it to track everything about your grow, from strains, to number of plants, to nutrient schedules, on and on. Love it. Download it for free from Google Play or the Apple App Store. Learn more on www.growbuddy.com.

8. I have found a couple of other products as well that are great for 100% organic soil.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1431657228.352929.jpg

9. Cool!  New thread!

Lets see your PC box!

Plaid

10. Welcome, Plaid! I am honored to have you here, because it will raise the standard of my journal, and your imput will improve my understanding!

Hey, What a Nice thing to say.  I'd be happy to help any way I can.  That's the GC spirit!  I was helped, and so I shall help as well.  

What are your prefered gardening methods?  How many grow have you completed?  And most importantly, what's your opinion on the importance of cannabis both now, and in the past?

Like what makes you tick?

Plaid 

12. What makes me tick? Good question! I suppose a brief biographical background might be helpful. Born and raised in the midwestern USA in the mid '50's. As a teenager, I caught the tail end of the hippy era and for whatever reason identified with it. This of course led to a brief period of experimentation within the drug scene - especially with psychedelics. This only lasted for about 3 years or so, as concurrently I began having mystical experiences (many were non-drug induced) that opened me up to spiritual concepts and higher consciousness. Although coming from a Christian family background, I developed a fascination for Eastern mysticism - Buddhism and Hinduism, which eventual led me to seeking out a guru and eventually traveling to India on pilgrimage. I actually ended up spending some years in a Hindu ashram learning philosophy, ritual and meditation. Of course by this time all drug use had long been given up.

Later, a few years after leaving the ashram scene to lead a more 'normal' life and get married, my mystical interests continued very strongly, though I had less time to devote to such pursuits. This state of affairs continued for many years until today, 30 years and 2 divorces later. Recently, perhaps in the last 3 years or so, my old love affair with cannabis resurfaced, this time with an interest to grow it myself and to understand how this plant might be useful primarily from a consciousness point of view, but also from a health/medical point of view. I have been reading as much as I can about cannabis and the various ways it might be of benefit to humans who approach it with respect and fascination.

I use cannabis both recreationally and medicinally. I say recreationally, but really, I use it to enhance my insight and intuition. It allows me to perceive the important things in life more clearly and gives me insight into things that I would normally overlook in everyday consciousness.

My current living arrangement doesn't allow for more than a stealth pc grow, but I do look forward to a time when I can accommodate a four to six plant grow. I am only interested in growing enough for personal use, or perhaps enough so that I can make medicines for a few others that are in need. It is shocking how quickly the cancer epidemic is proliferating. Seems like everyone I know knows someone with it or has it themselves (among other diseases that seem to respond to cannabinoids).  

Ok, that's just the briefest background about what I'm about; don't want to bore you to death. But I am more than happy to answer any queries or just have a good ol' tongue wag about cannabis. It seems my love affair is increasing. [​IMG]

13. Here's a pic of my grow setup

20150515_123910.jpg

Using 3 x 15 watt led light strips for a total of 45 watts
    media: coco coir/perlite/ewc
    nutrients: B.A.C. organic grow and bloom
    strain: Nirvana Papaya Feminised
    Photoperiod: 18/6 

14. Hey man, you can get that girl to grow faster if you move that cup on top of the scrog screen. The closer the light to the plant without burning the stronger and faster they grow.

I'm not home right now. But here's an older pic of how mine are setup

You can see how she's sitting on top of the screen? Obviously the screen won't hold a gallon or 2 gallon pot. But this helps for the young seedling stage.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1431830415.521827.jpg

15. Good idea GH, it has been done!

16. Just trying to help out brother! I know I'm all into growing big plants and such now... But I'm still doing micro grows on the side ;) trying to improve growing at low costs and low spacing.

17. #17 WeedleTM, May 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
    Kofi, very interesting biographical background you just posted! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ahh I didn't thought about sending to AU. Maybe you can buy a dimmable LED with more power so it will be more future-proof if you are gonna update your setup. And did you also take a look at the led DIY solutions? [​IMG]

18. #18 kofidog, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
    UPDATE:

My little girl has been transplanted into her final domicile - a 2 gallon smart pot. Not sure how to catch run off now without having to take the whole pot out to empty water. Maybe put the pot in a container or tub and just let the water wick up from the bottom?

20150520_132532.jpg

20150520_132548.jpg

After transplanting, I watered her with plain ph'd water and sprayed her leaves too. She's now 16 days old from seed.

20150520_132605.jpg

20150520_174938.jpg

20150520_174928.jpg

Very good progress for 16 days old me thinks. My girls are 11 days old today, also from seed, but a lot smaller than yours, hopefuly will have a rapid pick up within the next few days!

20. #20 kofidog, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
    What type of lights are you using? And how close to the lights are your plants? I noticed a bit of spurt in growth in my girl after GreenHack suggested I get her within a couple of inches of my LEDs. So I'm doing that and will continue to watch her growth with satisfaction!