Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Inactive Edibles (THCA)

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by nevrmindedness, May 12, 2015.

1. Hi everyone, I wanted to start a thread on this because i can't find much on it anywhere. I guess that's why all people start threads right?...

Anyways, I've been reading a lot lately about decarboxylation methods, and (inadvertently) about the benefits of THCA. I understand that THC is a pretty unstable molecule, and even less so in its acid form. I think i read somewhere that under just about any conditions, THCA will completely decarboxylate within 240 days. I would love if anyone could confirm/dispute this (with backup). 

I have also read that the presence of citric acid and certain b-vitamins can naturally decarboxylate THC, as well as extremely low temperatures. I would love to know more about any and all of these decarb methods; mainly to begin experimenting with alternatives to heat decarb, but also just FMI in case i find myself storing THCA (without the intent of it decarboxylating). 

Any type of sources or info is appreciated. 

2. Isnt citric acid in orange juice? So you can mix bud with OJ and have it decarb?

I just tested a bud again after one year and the decarb had only been completed 15% since the first one. It had been sealed in a humidity controlled jar. That was one year from harvest. It's going to be shorter depending on the conditions in which it is dried and stored. Don't count on 240 days. [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. #5 nevrmindedness, May 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015

Wow, that definitely goes against the shoddy info i had. Decarboxylation is still such a mysterious process to me... i guess i'm not alone though.

SD, that was actually the thread that originally raised my question. If you look on pages 3-4 of that you will see a lot of me, thinking out loud and asking for more info, lol. 

Sam, have you seen that smoothie thread^? I would really love to hear some input on it from a seasoned veteran. Apparently you can get extremely high off of very little thc (juicing leaves/trim), by adding only tangerines, coconut, and absolutely zero heat. Very mysterious...........

I'm (almost) positive it's not that simple lol. You can totally try it though, let us know if you feel anything. 

I did see the thread but really have no opinion because I haven't ever juiced it but I have some doubts about some of the claims. I use cannabis in smoothies but it's in the form of honey or agave or sugar. I don't grow so having fresh leaf to juice is rare. I believe that there are some benefits from the terpenes and other compounds as well as the THCA and other inactive cannabinioids. Your guess is as good as mine, though. [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Citric acid and b-vitamines can catalyze certain reactions, but I could not say that they help THCA decarboxylation specifically. Generally I've been buying them and I have not found the exact way to make it by myself yet. I will stay tuned to see if you find anything interesting.

• Like Like x 1