using calmag with coco specific nutes?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by dingdong, May 12, 2015.

1. Hi everyone,
       I've been using AN coco nutes and adding 4-5ml/gal calmag as well, because I've had a couple issues with mag deifinciency. But, I'm wondering if all that extra calcium is locking out magnesium and I should discontinue the cal mag and use epsom salts instead. I'm in week 2 of bloom. Is it really necessary to use calmag with coco specific nutes? It seems to me like if the nutes are made for coco they should be balanced and not really need anything extra.... Any input here?
       Thanks

2. I always have had bad results with calmag.  Epsom salts are the shit!  1 gram per gallon.  Mix them up in warm water, even as hot as your tap gets.  Then pour it in to your larger amount of cold water. 

3. Ive been using AN ph perfect for coco and have not had a problem yet! I will let you know if i need to add cal mag at any moment.

4. I think u are useing to much try 1ml per gallon 4-5 is what the bottle says and FYI I always stay at least half until full on flowering

5. Hey bro, you would think using Coco specific nutrients such as GH Coco tek A&B /h&g cocos/ AN etc etc would be enough but then how would nutrient companies sell cal-mag! the coco specific nutes really only have 1-2% more calcium n .5 % more mag! coco is a cal-mag hog, so while it sucks its still necessary. Cal and mag are absorbed best @ same ph level, xtra calcium won't lock out magnesium though - I would say keep using it but make sure it goes in the reservoir of fresh water 1st before your base nutrients and keep an eye on your ph ( I've been using gh's CALiMAGIC @ 1/2 strength n it works I've only had too add more with specific strain's which also plays a big part) hope that helps

6. I'm sorry I didn't see you were using 4-5 mls per gall- that's is
    a lot , probably full strength! It may not be a mag deficiency, which closely mimics early stages of iron / boron +other deficiencies. I'm 10 yrs in and I still have to reference pics from books too spot the correct deficiencies. Since you're using AN, try their revive (full strength )with one fresh water feeding. I use it in every other res(1/2 strength) as a preventive measure- n it works as a foliar also. Spray one leaf carefully too avoid flowers. Btw I just realized this was a older thread, my bad!