What if weeds high effect is a defensive mecahnism and its controlling all of us

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by lasklaf, May 12, 2015.

1. So, as we all know different plants have different defensive mechanisms to prevent them from getting eaten or trampeld by other organisms. Cacti have needles, nettles sting you, roses have thorns, poison ivy is poisonous etc.
    So what if marijuana making you high was the the plants own version of a defensive mechanism? What if the the plants are trying to execute some sort of mind control over a population? Scientists now know that all plant life communicates with eachother in some way except we dont really know how yet.

Man i Have some weird high ideas..but what if...

2. It could be a survival mechanism. They make us high so we'll plant more of them.

But it's most likely coincidental. Like all the other "unmentionable" plants that we can intoxicate ourselves on.

3. Mother nature has no ill intention of that grand amount. you make it sound like the plant was created in a lab by humans

Sent from my intergalactic spaceship hotbox

4. Maybe a proliferation mechanism as Tadealis suggested, if anything.

5. I actually thought this was an interesting idea...it's probably not likely that it's the reason you get high but I've never heard this "theory" before and I think it's pretty cool

More people know my nickname than my real name

6. I've heard this theory before, it's been around for a while. It's an interesting one.

7. Even if its a defensive mechanism, (perhaps in nature, things that got high eventually got hunted by wolves); that wouldn't equate to it being bad or controlling us.

We found its high pleasurable, and are evolved enough to survive being high. We don't need to worry about running from lions.

Then we bred the weed that had more thc. And it benefitted by being cared for.

Now its a symbiotic relationship.

-yuri

8. Well we know mushrooms releasing poison is a defence mechanism, and one type of poison gets us pretty high. So weed could be similar I guess

So we burn the mary jane til' the third degree

9. I always thought of it like the fruit and seed kinda deal. Like when birds or animals eat the fruit of a plant then usually end up shitting out the seed somewhere else helping the the plant propagate.

And I always thought of the bud as the fruit of cannabis. So in that thought it makes sense the plant would develop the psychoactive properties it has. The animal eats the bud and feels good so it might want to eat more or eat it again and then spread more seed.

So maybe it's less of a defense and more of an incentive to help propagate.

Your lower picture - fantastic!  lol  
    I swear I have seen that exact cat artwork....maybe on some cheesy 70s greeting cards, or?

11. What a terrifying thought.

Being hunted by wolves sucks enough on its own, but being hunted by wolves while high.........  /panic attack

12. >plant makes you high as a defense mechanism
    >you love it
    >want to get more high by burning more plant

Sounds like that mechanism backfired to me.

13. Ummmm being the plants already dead when I'm getting high from it, I think its a terrible defense mechanism. As a matter of fact not only did it not discourage me from killing it, it encouraged me to grow more and kill them too......very bad defense mechanism IMHO

14. that's not true.

Survival isn't about individuals. Its about gene pools.

If you have a lot of poisonous frogs, they will still get eaten. But things that eat them also die. Eventually the frogs predators become extinct.

Poison increased the success rate of the gene pool, though might not be of any consolation to the frogs who's poison didn't help them.

-yuri

15. #15 forty winks, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
    Botany of Desire -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yVN7ksF5-A

16. the plants dead and the smoker got stoned... bad defense mechanism if it was one, which it isn't ....i don't care about frogs unless they're cut off at the hind quarters, not poisonous, deep fried and delicious. You're way over thinking a goofy stoners idea thread

17. #17 AnonymousMarkus, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
    If it was a defensive mechanism, its not a defensive mechanism specifically against humans. It's for all animals... In the wild animals will eat cannabis, one of my dogs ate some of my weed off my desk, and another one of my dogs found some wax my brother left lying around and he ate it.

After experiencing the effects, animals learn very quickly not to eat it because doing so screws with their perception of the world which leads to getting eaten.

18. Man that stuff sure does make me relaxed and life funnier, better not touch that stuff again. Actually the idea is not half bad, the reasoning about being less aware and less safe is why I do not go out to public places and get drunk. But that is a survival mechanism for people, not for the plant. It is like just like Markus said, not being high allows you to perceive reality as best as possible, which means survival. 

19. its not a defense mechanism. Apparently you've never been around very much cannabis and animals. They love eating pot. There's nothing about it that deters them from eating it again, cats and dogs especially. They always come back for more once they get the taste

The dogs I have that did manage to get their grubby little paws on some, haven't touched it since.

"Evolution of Trichomes"

"In nature, only the strong survive, and it is hypothesized by biologists that trichomes evolved as a defense mechanism of the cannabis plant against a range of potential enemies (1). Trichomes, from the Greek meaning ‘growth of hair,' act as an evolutionary shield, protecting the plant and its seeds from the dangers of its environment, allowing it to reproduce. These adhesive sprouts form a protective layer against offensive insects, preventing them from reaching the surface of the plant. The chemicals in the trichomes make cannabis less palatable to hungry animals and can inhibit the growth of some types of fungus. The resin also helps to insulate the plant from high wind and low humidity, and acts as a natural ‘sun-screen' in protecting against UV-B light rays. But since trichomes contain euphoric properties attractive to humans, it may be man who has had the most influence on the plants' development through many years of favoring strains that consistently produce more of these gooey resin heads."

http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/inside-trichome