Question about the Energy Equation

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by NorseMythology, May 11, 2015.

1. kind of off topic but if anyone here has some calculus and want to see a masterful physics lecture on the conservation of energy, conservative forces, path independence. potential functions, and I dunno what else, check out Yale Prof Ramamurti Shankar! I love this dude!

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA_hXjJ2Ts8&list=PLD07B2225BB40E582&index=5[/media]

2. http://youtu.be/TgKkM0j42vs

I would highly recommend checking out this video and the video after. They talk about the nature of light and how they came to the conclusions about light through empirical evidence and theory to back it. This video doesn't explicitly address E=MC^2, but it talks a little about the more general form of the equation, and the ideas behind the equation. If you're interested in light, I would definitely recommend watching the first two videos in this lecture series. This is more from a physical chemists perspective so it may be a little different than classical physics, but I think the video is very informative.

3. that equation is imperfect and needs work. there are a number of flaws in Einsteins theory. first and foremost, the universe isn't the largest container in the system. because of that there are forces at work that we cant even understand yet. hell, understanding exactly how gravity works still eludes us to this day. 

4. you know what if there is more than one universe? what if there a billion of them but in different dimention?(sp) all I know is that I have been on earth more than once I can remember a couple of different life times what you guys? Or is this the place to chat about it? If so continue reading if not go away lol. Imagine in another life you could have been born in Greece and lived a life as a warrior. Or been born in Egypt and lived as they did back 1000's of years. How I do rattle on when stoned.......

exactly. next time you do dishes look at the soapy suds and imagine each individual soap bubble as a universe unto itself. some just like ours and others completely different in every way. opposites actually. i was reading some stuff on super symmetry and it made me think that if there is a universe that we live in, then there is more. not just more but for every one that there is, there is a complete and total opposite of said universe. 

question is, where does it all stop? is there even an ending to it? what do you imagine the larger container to look like? what kind of laws govern its creation and stability? is time even relevant there? gravity? it just goes on and on.....[​IMG]

6. I can't tell you why velocity is so much more of a driving factor in the energy equation than mass but I can tell you that any way you look at the physics, it takes 4x energy to achieve 2x velocity. Crashes at 60 mph are 4x more damaging than at 30. You need 4x more horsepower to go 40mph than 20 ( actually more when you figure in the increased drag in fluid - air or water). And a bullet increases its KE 4x by merely doubling velocity.

So the energy equation simply reflects physical reality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. yea man I mean what if there is no end to it and there it goes and goes and goes, I think if we just stop thinking about the universe in terms of us and what we have here on earth and really put our imagination to work we would see there is no limit to any thing I think that's why we have a imagination because what we imagine is really real what do ya think man?

8.  I understand enough of this to know not to attempt to explain it.  I think your only hope of understanding it is to take an online physics course. It has to do some pretty high level math, relativity, Heisenberg uncertainty principle and all manner of other things. It's the type of thing you get into in second or third third-year college physics.

9. I am baffled as to why it's so ambiguous. An equation to explain reality should be clear as to what it's representing.

Like force

F=m*a no mysteries as to what is being demonstrated and represented.

10. Because e=mc2 is the simplified version of it. Did you see the video I posted a bit back?

11. The reason it's ambiguous is because nature itself is pretty confusing and can often be counterintuitive. A teacher said this to me once and I found it be very helpful. They said if you observe a physical phenomenon that's seems counterintuitive over and over again, the problem isn't with your experiment but with your intuition. We try to make theories that support and agree with experimental results. From what I understand e=mc^2 comes from a couple different fundamental equations of classical mechanics. If you really want to learn this I would recommend learning a calculus based physics course as well as up to at least calc 2 or 3. If you really want a strong understanding of a lot of physical concepts then I would recommend even taking up to differential equations since it is used to derive a lot of fundamental ideas like the wave equation. I have a lot of good online resources so if you are interested feel free to pm me.

12. This guys the man. When I took physics at my university, it wasn't physics based. Then when I started taking physical chemistry which is all calculus based I was completely lost. Watched a good portion of this guys videos and they helped so much.

13. Keep in mind even F=MA is an oversimplification of newtons theory. From what I understand newton really wrote the law as sigma F= dP/dt where P is the momentum of an object. Similarly the e=mc^2 comes from a more complex equation that has to do with energy and general relativity.

14. #35 NorseMythology, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2015
    Thanks native, I would appreciate some resources! Only thing is, all I have is cellular internet on my phone so I have a data cap. Reading and audio lectures would be good, videos I can do if they aren't too long.

15. No, for the reason above. I just got more data so I'll sacrifice some n check it out. thanks

16. can you go to Starbucks and use their wifi?

-yuri

17. it's an hour away lol

18. worth it:lol:

-yuri

19. I wish Comcast had some real competition here, I hesitate to get cable because their rated all one stars out of over 40 reviews here.