Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Activating (Decarboxylating) inactive edibles?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by nevrmindedness, May 10, 2015.

1. #1 nevrmindedness, May 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Ok, this is somewhat of a weird one, but i have not found this question ANYWHERE, and i am certain that it is a very common situation. So please, anybody with info/experience on the subject please chime in (BKS, your input would be a blessing).... So i started making edibles regularly about 6 months ago, and my game has improved exponentially (MUCH thanks to the GC forum OG's, especially the ganja goddess BadKittySmiles). However, during this recent spree of self-education, i unsurprisingly ended up with a few "semi-failures", the products of trial and error/experimentation (which i find necessary to FULLY understanding any process). 

Here's the situation: I have edibles containing canna oil which was made with "partially-decarboxylated" bud. At the time i was cooking with it, I didn't know the bud was not fully decarb'ed. I know this now, having made a much stronger batch of oil (same nug) which was decarbed for longer (came out mostly brown, where the first batch was still pretty green) and the new fully decarbed batch is obviously much stronger. So back to the "partially-decarbed" bud from the batch in question - i went ahead and continued processing the material with BKS's oven/freezer method using coconut oil. I then baked the oil into peanut butter cookies, ate some, and froze the rest of the batch. I did feel some effects, but as aforementioned, I have made another batch since then (with the same bud and ratios, only difference was decarb time) which came out much more psychoactive. 

My question in short: Can THCA be decarboxylated once it is already inside edibles (specifically, cookies)?

I was thinking some possible solutions might be to break down the cookies in a blender/food processor, form it back into batter, and then re-bake the cookies at a low temp for a long period of time? Undoubtedly this would result in really really dry cookies (dryness being conducive to decarboxylation, right?)... But would additional cooking/heating do anything for the strength/psychoactivity? Another thought i had, maybe simply letting the cookies age in the freezer (who doesn't love aged cookies? lol) would allow some of the THCA to naturally degrade into THC? Also, the cookies contain flour and peanut butter (which i've heard can decarboxylate THCA on its own); would these ingredients, over time (in the freezer), pull the carboxyl group off of the THCA? Would absolutely love to hear some science on this, for brain tickles if nothing else.

2. Why not just eat 2 cookies instead of 1, and then make the next batch stronger?

Anyway, decarb is a strictly optional step. Back in the day, we didn't know what "decarboxylation" meant, but our Alice B Toklas brownies still got us pretty elevated. ;)

3. Another question i had (didn't seem worthy of starting a new thread, plus it's pretty relevant) - I heard a rumor one time, that a simple, fully decarbed edible could be made simply by placing dried flowers (ground, or whole, the rumor didn't specify) in a peanut butter jar, then covering the flowers with a substantial amount of peanut butter, then closing the jar and letting it sit for a period of time. Anyone? Either way, it doesn't seem like something i'll be doing any time soon, but would be useful info to have in a pinch (zombie apocalypse).

4. Oh man, i had to google her. I feel like a little snot-nose. [​IMG]

But yeah, they are definitely better than nothing, i put 3 in a blender with some milk about 2 hours ago, and i'm definitely feelin quite groovy. I'm very grateful indeed that this is the worst of my problems at the moment. 

But i just love that feeling i get when i know that i've made the absolute most of something. Waste not, want not. I learned about the power of decarboxylation about 6 months ago, and it suddenly cleared up all the mystery of why i was never getting super high off edibles. (Now i trip balls like every time).

The second batch of cookies i mentioned (fully decarbed) is almost TOO strong (almost[​IMG] ) . But seriously, with those ones i can eat just one and get about the same buzz i have right now, which lets me know that these old ones from the first batch are not at their full POTential (sorry, i had to lol). Just trying to make the most of it, also this might be a great reference for some poor newbie who realizes after the fact that they have made edibles without fully decarbing.

5. #5 puddleglum, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015

Sounds gross to me, but if there is an answer, it is probably in this thread:

http://forum.grasscity.com/incredible-edible-herb/478661-canna-peanut-butter-simplest-edible-ever.html

The word "decarb" gets used in two different ways around here. The first definition is a chemical process that converts THCA to THC (as you well know) and can happen in several different ways, including letting it happen naturally over time with properly cured/stored herb. The second definition of "decarb" is a step that we can do in the kitchen when we are making edibles. Usually in my opinion, when someone asks "did you decarb that pot brownie?" what they mean is the second definition, "did you do the extra action step of heating the material before adding it to the food?" It is confusing because if you didn't specifically do the extra step of "decarbing" there is probably still some decarbing happening. ;)

6. #6 nevrmindedness, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
    Ohkay. so it sounds like what you're saying is, THCA does continue to decarb while being heated inside edibles? So maybe if i just threw these cookies each in the oven for another few minutes they could gain a little strength? I know the actual science is wayy behind on everything cannabis, so im just asking for anecdotal evidence mostly i guess. The guy in the peanut butter thread seemed to be getting consistently baked from that peanut butter bake or whatever we should call it lol. But he was applying heat (and using mids), so that doesn't really support the rumor i heard. Definitely would love to find a decarb method at home that doesn't involve heat. Alright now im just rambling lol. Thanks for the responses puddleglum

7. I have tried to make edibles 2 times without decarbing, both was dry bud to begin with and I baked it in peanut butter at high temps (350 for 40 mins) in hopes it would decarb with the high temps in the peanut butter. Both times I got nothing and when I decarbed in the oven before with the same bud same recipe but at 330 for 40 mins I got ripped. That's my 2 cents ✌

"How something appears is always a matter of perspective"

8. yeah this is pretty much my exact experience. I only baked my actual cookies for about 8 minutes @350, after decarbing the bud for 20 minutes @220. I get some effects for sure. but i know they could be stronger. 

So you just baked the nug in straight up peanut butter like the guy from the link?

9. Yep, it works well. I seem to get more of a head high from peanut butter then from butter or oil. I just made my first batch of the coconut infused oil and i gotta say, that's my new edible for sure!

"How something appears is always a matter of perspective"

10. yeah coconut can't be beat. Ghee is alright too. I've also gotten pretty baked before from using peanut oil, to compliment the taste of the peanut butter cookies. But a tiny hint of coconut also tastes pretty good in just about everything i've tried, so it's all i plan on using from now on. Unless maybe i make something savory, then i might try ghee again