God heaven hell ?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Zachgy12345, May 10, 2015.

1. Alot of people say they believe in god but mainly because we believe if we dont were gonna go to hell. What if hell never existed and there was no such thing as hell. Would you still believe in God?

2. There is no such thing as hell.

3. You sure?

There is no such thing as God.

5. Hell yes!

6. If there is a hell, its a mental state-of-mind, not an afterlife torture chamber.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. I guess if we get enough of these threads, we'll get to the bottom of things!

8. Define what your god is. Everyone has a personal belief of what that word implies. The idea that an all encompassing entity gives rise to all existence, is intriguing. However, I don't think that a god in that sense would create a specific place (physical or not) just to punish people. Sounds rather silly imo. Study a little bit about your religion. I bet you will walk away a much different person. 

9. Ehhh Yahweh might.

10. I've seen people in hell, animals in hell. This whole world can become a hell for some people, this whole world can become a heaven for some people.

The threads of the cloth are variously coloured
    The bottom tattered and frayed
    Who knows what side will be worn up or down
    In which part the colours will fade

11. If hell doesn't exist, it means we are living absorbed within God.
    If hell doesn't exist, it means we are living absorbed within God.

12. The greatest truth yet, the greatest of all
    The threads that we see will fade and wear
    The cloth will rip, tatter and tear
    And be destroyed by time's call

13. You are disagreeing about hell only semantically, and would you agree with post 6?

14. yes

15. The torture chamber is everywhere you look. It depends a lot on where you're looking from too though (human, animal, race, species, ethnicity, general cultural context)

16. I didnt think you would surprise me here lol. Because your philosophy seems to be very similar to mine, and i couldnt imagine how you could honestly incorporate hell.

17. I think semantics is extremely important in an argument. Both parties need a clear idea of what's being considered. word definition/meaning seems important in establishing a common ground to start an argument. 

However, I'll give that post 11: if hell doesnt exist, it means we are living absorbed within god" is flawed in a lot of ways. How would hells non-existence prove we live within a god? It doesn't make for proof of a god. And I would agree that a person's state of mind can certainly put them in a state of feeling like they live in a physical hell. But then you're playing with the meaning of hell. 

18. My thinking derives from the tradition I associate with, it would be difficult for me to explain exactly what that means. I can tell you it's the Sikh tradition, but it's unlikely that you will understand even then.

19. #19 1Backlash1, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
    I have heard it before but haven't studied it.... yet. :)

Of course I can't understand it the way you do. You have your own unique perspective. I can't see the way you do. And from your comment I would say you see that as a waste of time for some reason.

20. In a sense, but an afterlife of eternal suffering... i really dont know how anyone can honestly believe it. I think its the same cognative dissonance that allows them to being Jesus represented Yahweh. I dont know how something can be so obviously contradictory yet have people unquestionably believe it (aside from brainwashing).