A question about god and heaven and hell

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Zachgy12345, May 10, 2015.

1. Religion confuses me. Do you not need to follow everything in the bible to get into heaven? If so then even Christians who got to church weekly and stuff still wouldn't get in, I'm guessing anyway I have very little knowledge of religion.

2. All we have now is Earth.

I think people should be more concerned with that and less concerned with getting into a place that no one is really sure actually exists.[​IMG]

3. What if...

God was one of us

4. In the bible it actually states that no human soul is meant for hell. Hell is a punishment designed for astral bodies who defied god.

5. Idk I think if there was a heaven he'd send all the Christians to hell and all the atheists to heaven, because we are more fun. You think he ever gets tired of people praising him 24/7 I know I'd get tired of it. Shut the fuck up and smoke a joint with me

6. I believe there were god like humans but we were made by the infinite universe are genetic code has so much in common with the planet that to me believing one man made this all its a bit far fetched but I don't down any one for there beliefs who am I to make judgements with all the faults I have

7. #27 Dryice, May 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015

I mean, pretty much everything theology deals with are questions that can't be answered. Bertrand Russel liked to say, "Theology are definite answers to questions that are conventionally unknowable, and science are the definite answers to questions that are conventionally knowable... and philosophy exists in this weird world in between the two." Paraphrased, obviously but that's more or less what he was saying.

I enjoy philosophy as a hobby, it's definitely not my skill set but bear with me.

It's extremely difficult proving a negative without universally accepted premises (a lot of people say this impossible, Ayn Rand is big on this for theological propositions).

To go beyond this, what you're suggesting is a theological proposition all of which each premise is unknown to be true or false, which is why analytic philosophy has nothing to do with theology, as I already said many philosophers consider theology outside the realm of philosophy.

In my opinion the idea of proving that hell doesn't exist just isn't something you can do, especially since the idea of heaven and hell are faith based (not logical/empirical based).

If you meant on the hypothetical side and not realistically, then I don't know. Maybe? The question I think creates a bigger issue than you intended, because as I said Hell isn't tangible or testable, and in your thought experiment being able to prove it doesn't exist would make it a tangible/testable thing which would imply that people who believed in Hell actually believed in it on philosophical grounds, which were proven wrong. (odd thing to consider that).

Hopefully I didn't ramble on too much here. Tend to do that.

8. Post this goddamned bullshit in the religion thread......[​IMG]

9. What I find interesting about people that don't believe in God is that they want 1 of 2 things.

1. They either want a God that turns everyone into puppets without free will.

2. They want to be mad at God for allowing people to have free will, and not making them do the right thing (see #1).

God COULD stop child molestors... or the person could choose not to molest children... but lets be mad at God.

Processed foods have been linked to cancer, but let's be mad at God because of our food choices.

Makes no sense.

10. THANK YOU Ama if there was a god hes done with his part hes not here to save any one its been up to us to be what are and will be be a good person to your self and you will radiate good vibes I smile all day good or bad because maybe my smile will make others smile

I don't believe in a god (because there is zero evidence for it).

But back to your post: Your first statement is about people who "don't believe in god."

If we don't, why would we even ponder your point #1 and #2?

Answer: We don't ponder them because we don't believe in god.

You might want to read some of the first comments. People that don't believe in God tend to ponder God a lot. They want to debate about what they don't believe in. What does evidence have to do with anything? Either he exists or he doesn't. Keep in mind that the Mountain Gorilla was once considered a myth due to lack of evidence. So was the panda... and guess what... they both exist.

You have a 50/50 shot at being right. The only people that have anything to worry about are people that don't believe lol.

13. I don't think there is a god, but I think we all evolved from one living thing
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1431551646.951893.jpg

[​IMG]

14. I get that he could be real. like u said about pandas they were a myth at one point but theres not millions of people and millions on dollars being spent on pandas that exist yet people blindly follow some thing that is unproven and I hear read the bible it tells you all you need to know but I ask sure ill read it if you can tell me the true author of it is......? None the less each to there own lol faith is faith no matter what you believe in

15. #36 Dryice, May 14, 2015

Why do you think it's a 50/50 split? You can either die in a car accident on the way to work or not, that doesn't mean it's 50/50 for each event.

And your last bit is known as Pascal's wager.

16. Pascals wager, ugh.

I'm just going to quote something...
    "There is an insurmountable difficulty with this suggestion: If you hold a reasonable doubt in something (i.e. the existence of God or winning the lottery), there is no conceivable way that you can will yourself to believe it without being insincere. This is the reason why Pascal's Wager is useless as an argument to advocate belief in God. Even if someone were to accept the suggestion and desperately desire eternal salvation, they can't attain it (according to the tenets of mainstream Christianity) unless they accept Jesus as their personal saviour. Obviously, you can't do that unless you believe that God exists and that Jesus died for your sins.

What is the upshot of this? Well, in the unlikely event that God exists, he has forever damned all of his creations who have been unfortunate enough to be bestowed with a critical sense of reason. It is really no different than if you tell me that I will be damned for eternity unless I believe that I will win the lottery tonight or any other state of affairs that I, after evaluating all of the available evidence, consider to be improbable. Even if you could convince me that the suggestion is probable, it would still be insincere of me to believe it as a matter of faith if I am left with any measure of doubt."

17. #38 AnonymousMarkus, May 14, 2015
    @OP
    There was no hell in early Judaism. It was eventually added in, and as we know, Christianity is based on Judaism. So what does it say about a religion if it completely changes its view on something? Most notably that its not the word of god, because its man-made and something decreed by a god would never be incorrect.

Basically all abrahamic religions just built off each other, so a fundamental flaw in Judaism takes Islam and Christianity with it.

If you want to be believe in a higher power or unknown force then go for it, but I'd recommend staying away from any specific religion as the "holy texts" are always riddled with innaccurate or completely fabricated claims.

AND they all are built upon even older "mythologies" that preceded them...

19. #40 helloeveryone420, May 14, 2015
    the full video of Zeitgeist is good. It's just a real long debunking of religion. It covers like, every possible thing. Little bland though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk