Gas pedal got stuck while driving on the interstate.

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by AsthmaticStoner, May 9, 2015.

1. Happened to my buddies 1998 dakota RT. He installed an air intake system and didn't mount everything flush like it was suppose to be.

On he freeway his intake box rested on the throttle body ca le, and prevent it from lowering.

Highway patrol comes next to him and signaling him to stop, he mouths to the officer 'I cant, it's stuck!'.
    Officer says on loudhorn, 'put it in neutral'.

Did the trick, engine was still revving like crazy.
    Cop helped us remove intake and pull up so throttle can move around.

2. #22 ImTheJoker4u2, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2015
    Yup people panic and forget that if you disengage the transmission (Put it in (N)eutral/disengage the clutch) the engine will no longer propel you forward.
    And what most people dont know is that you are not supposed to be able to kill the ignition with the car is in (D)(You lose power steering and brakes when the engine is cut), which is why GM is being sued, and possibly brought up on criminal charges.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/04/gm-recall-suv-ignition-switch/

http://news.yahoo.com/gm-shares-drop-latest-ignition-related-recall-180626404.html?nf=1

3. but what if you turn off the engine while the pedal is stuck and the steering colomn locks? And you're still moving... Sounds disasterous. I would put it in neutral if the pedal was stuck.

4. #24 Deleted member 638051, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    There is a safety feature to prevent such thing. It takes a conscious effort to lock the steering wheel. All through the 80's & 90's Ford made you push a button on the steering column, requiring the use of both hands to turn the key to the lock position. Other mfgr's made you push in on the key to turn to the lock position. Most new cars now don't even lock the wheel. It' an obsolete theft deterrent.

You would still have steering and brakes, they just wont have power assist.

5. I didnt think of it until now but, most cars dont even have a key. They're push button start which is unlocked via RFID.
    And some older cars lock pretty easily, but I think beginning in the 80's they made it so that you couldnt lock the wheel without putting it in park.
    Same with the brake pedal shifting out of park. You cannot shift out of park unless you press the brake pedal. I had a car come in the shop once that wouldn't come out of park. The brake light switch, which disengages the parking lock, had gone bad.

6. Your telling him to turn off the motor on the damn interstate? Because 90 mph and no power steering or functional break booster sounds safe to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. As opposed to continued acceleration? You got a better plan, stunt man?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ive had it happen on older cars. usually the return spring is worn and breaks or works its way loose.

If your accelerator went back to normal its probably the carpet as you say. If it happens again throw her into neutral. The rev limiter should save your engine from going kabang. Either way much better having a blown motor than killing someone. You can turn the car off but don't swing the key to far or it will lock the steering. Brakes or steering will still work but not as well as if the car is running so not a great idea in traffic.

9. I'm just saying any plan is better than loosing all control of the vehicle, I don't think you understand how cars work..

10. 30 some years gainfully employed as an automobile technician. Continuous update training to maintain certifications and several thousands of dollars in tool inventory. Let me know when you're ready to match credentials, son.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ron, just like your profile says, id put money on the fact you're just a confused old hippy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #33 Lucky Luke, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    You do relize that brakes and steering still work with the engine off don't you? OK not as well but they still work. Can even use the hand brake to help brake the car (this still works fine) when the engine isn't trying to reach top speed.
    Its a much better option than hitting a truck at 100mph.

Good old neutral is better though

13. If my cars off and I'm parked on an even slight hill without my ebrake on I will roll and my brakes will do literally nothing. I had an accord awhile ago that would die randomly and if the car is any newer than mid 80's that steering wheel will lock up and those brakes without a working booster will not help you.

14. #35 Lucky Luke, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    ok....so you have a totally different experience than me.
    None of my cars have ever locked the steering wheel unless I go to the steering lock section. Brakes do work, just not very well, u do have to stand on them and its a slow braking granted..but again better that continued acceleration.
    But then I grew up literally in the back yard of a car yard (dad owned it), Any spare time was spent at the speedway (where dad raced), I sold cars and managed car yards for well over 10 years. To this day I still push cars around the sheds and property without power, just like we sometimes did at the yards. Steering wont lock unless you go that extra click on the ignition.

But again..Neutral is a much wiser choice.

15. Fun facts:
    When you turn the motor off, it takes 3 pumps to deplete the vacuum reserve in the brake booster. If not, then you just found your motors vacuum leak.

Also, if you apply the parking brake during a high rate of speed...... close your eyes and clench your buttcheeks, fast!

16. maybe i will test it :coffee:

17. e-brake slides are scary as fuck if you don't know they are going to happen, lol

18. I wouldn't know, my car is not equipped with an 'e' brake. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Happened to me twice. Once was an older car and there was a little plastic piece that held the throttlebody together. Dry rotted and fell out. Throttle dropped wide open. Second time was in a work truck while merging. Don't know the cazuse of that one. Both times put it in neutral, killed the ignition and pulled off to the side of the road. No big deal.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Grasscity Forum mobile app