ac ?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Skizum, May 8, 2015.

1. From what I've read air conditioners do blow some air outside. I have a good carbon scrubber but I can still smell my plant when I come home in the evening.  It's faint but it's there.  I also smoke cigs so my sence of smell isn't the best. I can't smell it outside but that doesn't mean others can't. Whay else can I do besides ona or febreeze or whatever?

2. Just to verify, are you using a portable air conditioning unit? From your issue it sounds like a portable unit.

Portable units work a bit differently from window units. Portable units recycle indoor air only and exhaust the heated air outside which means any smells in the intake are going outside. Window units utilize both indoor and outdoor air in a complex process of transitioning the refrigerant from a gas to a liquid back to a gas to cool the air. They don't exhaust any indoor air outside, unless the vent is open (The vent is meant to intake outdoor air but can lead to some indoor air being exhausted) or it's not well sealed to the window frame (Fill any and all gaps with caulking or expanding foam insulator). However the refrigerant in window units can condense some indoor air leading to smells leaking outside, but it's normally extremely minimal.

If you're running a portable unit, really the only advice I can offer is to vent the air into a chimney or through the attic. You're not going to really be able to eliminate the smell.