Question For The Brain Nerds

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by NorseMythology, May 8, 2015.

1. I think i recall Andrew Hill say our brain has the capacity/potential to know the location of every single atom. Is that true/ is there evidence our brain can store that much information?

2. Andrew Hill the piano player?

3. Well considering that memory works by reconstruction, I would think that if one knew all the operating laws of the universe -i.e. where said atoms would be according to said laws..- that they could "recall" those locations.
    Recall being better defined as inherently knowing based on prior knowledge.

4. I do not believe it.

I'd want to see some sort of experiment that explains how the brain could store such vast information..

-yuri

5. I think he was saying essentially, if it took 1 byte to know each atoms location that your brain has more bytes of storage than itd take to know.

6. Lol no, this guy is a cognative neuroscientist.

7. I would think a lot of assumptions go into that hypothesis.

Also, an atoms location is relative to each other atom. That's a lot of information for each atom. No way you can aassume it takes 1 bit to know an atoms location.

-yuri

8. I wouldnt think so either but im quite ignorant in this area.

9. well your knowledge of the brain isn't all that relevent

As soon as you hear "the location of ever atom in the universe"

So many red flags come up. Like the uncertainty principle. And the idea that it is even possible to observe every atom at one

-yuri

10. I think I may have just badly communicated what he was saying.

11. perhaps his claim is that the potential storage (assuming neural pathways or w/e measurements) is so vast, it far exceeds the number of attoms in the known universe.

-yuri

Okay, that makes more sense lol. I just googled him and saw who he is.I have his podcast with Rogan to listen to next, is that where he said it? I'd be surprised if he was being literal. 

13. Yea, i went over most of it last night looking for it and i cant find it. I can remember exactly where on the road home from work i heard it, but i am not sure who it was or what exactly he said lmao. Lmk if you find it

14. About 98% of the atoms in your body are replaced yearly. They aren't static. They are replaced and the locations change. Our brains goal isn't to memorize the locations of atoms. It's a cool premise, but I'd have to see some serious peer reviewed studies take place before I'd really entertain the notion. 

I listened to about 50 mins of this at the gym today, and so far nothing.

16. I listened from about 40min in to probably 2hr and nadda. Skimmed thru the last hour too. Now i wonder if it was sam harris who was on rogans podcast. I know it was somewho that seemed qualified to make such a statement otherwise id have disregarded it until i came across someone else saying it/confirming it.

17. If i recall the point wasnt that the brain should or wants to knoe the locations, but that its capacity could store that much information (i think).

18. That's ridiculous.

I read some time ago that 500 years ago (or 1,000? -- don't remember) one man could learn all of the accumulated knowledge at the time. I find even that a bit hard to believe.

But the location of every atom?   [​IMG]

19. Wiki says 2.5 petabytes of binary. 2.5x10^15 or 2.5 quadrillion bytes.

Thats a lot but the estimated number atoms (10^80) far exceeds that.

Idk i am not too ambitious, i was hoping someone had some knowledge concerning this.

I bet it wasn't Andrew Hill. He had a lot of crazy/interesting ideas, but as a neuroscientist he seems pretty well grounded in science. I could see someone like Sam Harris making that comment though.