DIY Humidifier For Small and Large Grow Rooms

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by ladyluckybean, May 7, 2015.

1. #1 ladyluckybean, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    I wanted to share my DIY humidifier that will work for small grows all the way up to larger grow rooms which have an especially hard time finding an efficient humidifier. I've been using it for two weeks and it raises my humidity around 10-20% in a two car garage depending on outside weather. It can produce more or less because it uses single ultrasonic pond foggers which you can add to increase output or subtract. They can also be ran on a timer that turns off and on as well as wired to a humidistat if you're especially handy! Just don't let them sit in the water for too long! They are sealed but this helps with longevity. 

The BEST part about it is that I only fill the rez every ten days. It's incredibly easy and relatively cheap.

How to pick out a fogger:
    I purchased 3 single head foggers instead of a 3 head fogger because it was cheaper and I get the same output of 500 mL per hour for each single head while the 3 head puts out 1600 mL Each single head was $30 while the 3 head foggers were around $120. You can buy them on ebay or amazon but I ordered mine from The House of Hydro. The ones on Amazon or Ebay will sell each part individually while the website I used, sells it as a set. in the end after paying for shipping on three items that were about the same price before shipping just made more sense to buy the whole package: fogger, transformer plug in to wall socket and the float that keeps it at the right height in the water.

The website below where I got these from also has some good info on the first page about quality of parts.

http://www.thehouseofhydro.com/ultrasonic-mist-makers-for-sale.html

So here's what you need:

• Container of any size for the rez. bigger means more time between refills (5 gallon to garbage can)
    • Ultrasonic pond fogger with kit
    • Ducting of any size
    • Timer or humidistat

The container I used was a recycling can I bought from Home Depot for $6.50 on sale. I use these also for storing dirt as they're 32 gallons and so cheap.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-32-gal-Roughneck-Recycling-Bin-1792641/202260842?N=5yc1vZcb26Z12kxZ12ky

I use 6" ducting so I cut a 6 inch hole in opposing sides of the container. This way I can put the duct in one hole and directly across from it is the passive intake. The humidity will suck up into the intake as air comes into the container.

[​IMG]

Then I got my the fogger.

[​IMG]

Then I  put it down into the float.

[​IMG]

Then I placed it in the water, plugged in the fogger to the power cord. You should always have the fogger in the water when you turn it on.

[​IMG]

Then after you get it all hooked up, find the lowest point of your ducting and poke a small 1/8" hole to let the condensation that builds up in the tube a place to escape so a puddle doesn't form in your duct. Put a catch pan to catch the drippings. this evaporates so you shouldn't have to empty it. Then sit back and watch your plants enjoy lush leaves!!

Hope that helps someone! It's really improved my growth rates in veg.

[​IMG]  

ladyluckybean

• Like Like x 1
  2. Great tutorial ladyluckybean! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Hmm so wonder if one head would work in a 2 gallon container for a tent. Nice tutorial

4. it depends on your exhaust and how fast it's going then the size of tent. I have mine on a speed control on low. I have a 5 gallon with one head in my room to help out. it works okay. the one in the pic is for my 4x8 that is in a two car garage. it can get up to 70% when the winter weather had it down to 30% RH.

the shipping is free so you can order more if needed no big deal. it comes with every thing and three replacement heads for when they break/quit vibrating. I like the single cause the output is cheaper per gallon and I can add and subtract how many depending on the outdoor humidity.

over time I have noticed fungus gnats living it up in there so I add a dunk or bits or liquid BTi. now I see no babies swimming around and dead adults only.

5. Great Tutorial, and great choice of fogger! ;-)

6. Thanks for the info. We don't worry too much about humidity down here in the sunny south. We spend most of our time figuring out how to get away from it. LOL

7. still going strong too! Thanks for the great deal and speedy service!

8. Does fog escape thru both holes?