New grower. First seedling. Need opinions.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Netherworld, May 6, 2015.

1. Hey guys, first time grower here.  I more or less want to know if there's a problem with my seedling.  I put the seed in a rapid rooter, and placed it in my dwc setup(I'm going to use the paper towel method going forward, as it seems like germination took way longer than it should).  It's a drip system, so there is a tube near the bottom-middle of the rapid rooter through the net pot that is always providing water to the rooter "plug."  The strain is autoflowering and feminized.

I'm providing a few images of the seedling itself, because I'm concerned it doesn't look healthy.  There is a nice, healthy looking taproot poking out the bottom of the cube, but the seedling itself just looks weak, and the growth is pretty slow.  This is what it looks like 1 week after first being placed in the rooter.  I did have to help the seed shell come off.  So far, none of the initial leaves are fully spread out.

The temperature range is always 71-81 degrees(depending on how open I leave the ports at the bottom of the tent, whether the lights are on, and how cool the air coming into the tent is).  The humidity is always in the 30-40% range(Not really sure how else to control this.  That's the natural range inside the tent.)

Ever since the seedling popped out, I've put the lights on an 18-6 time cycle, as I've read works well for autoflowering.  However, I'm wondering if I should put it back in the dark until the leaves fan out? Or should I just leave the lights on as-is?

Again, any input is appreciated.  Water has been PH'd to 6.0, and I haven't done any water changes yet, since it's not large/strong enough to put nutes in(in my opinion).  Overall, I'm just wondering if this is sickly looking.  It has moved since last night, but not much.  I've just seen other peoples' 1 week photos and they looked a lot more advanced than what I have here.

I have a second seed germinating in backup just in case this guy doesn't make it.  The temperature in the pic is a little lower than it actually was when I opened the tent.

IMG_20150505_183839144.jpg
    IMG_20150505_183850984_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150505_184021897.jpg
    IMG_20150505_184024203.jpg

2. Hey man, from your pictures your seedling looks fine. Main thing is to be patient. How old is she?

3. Never used a rapid rooter so I may be wrong but it looks like everything is too wet for healthy growth. A week old seedling should have more growth than that in my experience.

Your lighting and temps etc look fine. I wouldn't change those. I always use paper towels to germ seeds and I usually see em pop in the first couple of days.

4. #4 tattdup420, May 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
    I haven't been doing dwc very long but the seedling looks ok, it does look like your medium may be a little too wet like deman81k was saying. And when your comparing your plant to pics of what others have grown u oughta leave a lil margin for error; some count day zero as the day they put the seed in paper towel while others may get a pretty good tap root going before placing it in a growing medium and call that day one, so some of what says a week old May be more like two, or more.
    One thing I've learned is u gotta be patient, she'll grow, give her time...

5. as long as res temp and ph are stable

just let it do it's thing

it is developing a root system now, vertical growth will begin shortly