Supreme court asks federal lawyer for opinion on NE and KS law suit against CO

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Green Wizard, May 5, 2015.

1. \t\tU.S. Supreme Court asks fed lawyer for opinion on Colorado pot lawsuit<div><div>Published:\tMay 4, 2015, 5:48 pmAdd a Comment
    By Mark K. Matthews, The Denver Post
    WASHINGTON - The U.S. Supreme Court is asking advice from a top government lawyer on what to do about state weed policy and a smoldering fight between Colorado and two nearby states.
    Justices on the court made the request Monday as part of their official order list. They want U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli, Jr. to add his thoughts to a complaint filed by Oklahoma and Nebraska in December against Colorado, which is one of just a few states to allow for the broad sale of marijuana.
    How Verrilli responds could influence whether the Supreme Court decides to hear the case, though it's a matter of debate about how much weight the justices put on the opinion of the solicter general, who represents the federal government before the high court.
    Regardless, the next moves by the Supreme Court could have a major impact on recent state efforts to relax marjuana laws. A response by Verrilli is expected later this year.
    \tSuing Colorado over potThe latest on the Nebraska-Oklahoma case: Colorado AG Cynthia Coffman on Friday urged the U.S. Supreme Court to reject a landmark lawsuit filed by neighboring states over marijuana legalization.
    10 sheriffs file lawsuit: In addition to calling for an end to recreational marijuana sales, this suit seeks to overturn Amendment 64′s protections for adult use and possession
    A first: Colorado residents suing to halt recreational marijuana sales
    Follow The Cannabist on Twitter and Facebook

The latest fight began five months ago when Nebraska and Oklahoma challenged Colorado's commercialization of marijuana - citing enforcement problems because of the drug's increased accessibility in the region.
    A key question the states raised was the responsibility of the federal government - a point underscored Monday by the office of Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt.
    “Attorney General Pruitt anxiously awaits an explanation from the Obama administration as to its continued refusal to enforce federal law, specifically the Controlled Substances Act,” said Aaron Cooper, a Pruitt spokesman, in a statement.
    But Colorado says it has the prerogative and that it's also ready to hear from Verrilli .
    “As we argued in our brief, the federal government's decision to defer to Colorado's regulation of marijuana is at the heart of this case,” said Cynthia Coffman, Colorado's attorney general in a statement.
    “We are pleased that the Supreme Court has asked the United States to explain its position on this litigation, especially now that (U.S.) Attorney General (Loretta) Lynch has assumed office,” she added.
    Colorado is not alone in the legal fight. Two pot-friendly states, Oregon and Washington, joined the fray a few weeks ago and filed a brief in March in support of the state's position.
    One pot advocate saw the development as a mixed bag.
    “On the one hand this is concerning since it could be a sign that the Court is taking the case more seriously than I think is actually merited,” said Tom Angell, chairman of the Marijuana Majority, in a statement.
    “On the other hand, this could be a good opportunity for the Obama administration to further and more clearly articulate the president's position that states should be able to legalize marijuana if that's what their voters want,” he added.
    Mark K. Matthews: 202-662-8907, mmatthews@denverpost.com or twitter.com/mkmatthews
    This story was first published on The Spot blog
    <div>Topics: colorado marijuana lawsuits, lawsuits, nebraska-oklahoma lawsuit, u.s. supreme cour

http://www.thecannabist.co/2015/05/04/supreme-court-marijuana-colorado-lawsuit-oklahoma-nebraska/34383/

</div></div></div> 

2. Waa waaa waaa! We no wike dwugs!

3. #3 OOTROLLOO, May 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
    There's only one logical answer: legalize and cash in along side CO.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Scott Pruitt and his lil bitch boy Aaron Cooper can both smoke my fat cock.

4. Seems like a great idea. However Kansas will be the last state in the union to legalize. Unless you have lived there, you have no idea how anti-drug they really are. They actually have laws there where they will commute certain drug offenses if you promise to leave the state and never come back. Banishment essentially. Nowhere else in the country has that sort of arcane thinking. They are the birthplace of the T-totaler and they are still the #1 stronghold for such thought. Kansas is the shittiest place in the country. This lawsuit is not a surprise to me.

There is no doubt in my mind that they would execute drug offenders if they could get away with it. They fucking HATE free thought in Kansas.

5. I'd leave lol. That sounds like a gift to me.

Iowa will be one of the last as well. Too many old republicans.

I got busted with a half oz, in 3 separate baggies (a qtr and 2 eighths)

The officer could smell it but I wouldn't give consent to search, so what's he do?

He ARRESTS me for the reason that he pulled me over (failure to use headlamps when required, a basic traffic violation) has my truck towed and searches it then. Was some of the shoddiest police work I've ever witnessed or even heard of.

They initially charged me with:

Possession with Intent to Distribute (class D felony)
    Failure to Affix a Drug Tax Stamp (class D felony)
    Possession of Paraphernalia (serious misdemeanor)

Thank fuck I didn't have priors or they really could have fucked my life up if they wanted to...all over a half OZ of harmless plant matter.

But I'm currently moving to WA so it doesn't matter really... Thank fuck.

6. #6 EmeraldCream, May 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
    Yea gtfo...I got stuck in the deep red capitalist/freedom loathing dirty filthy south with the military...KY/GA/NC/TX/AL/TN/MO/OK

.Great food and music.....but it's essentially a giant shit hole trailer park and 2/3 of the population are morbidly Obese....plus they hate freedom with the most searing passion I've ever seen in my life.  Sure they talk out the sides of their ass about it and how much they love it....but as soon as you step outside the whackadoodle religious norms you're 30seconds from a lynching and likely headed to prison....because liburhul hippie evil!!

I found it rather shocking so much of this country lives like that.....it's like an obese/white/christian Afghanistan with the fire fights turned down to a dull roar, Ipods and newer SUV's.

Just FYI that's not shoddy po-po work.  He knew he had you....and impounded your shit while he got a search warrant just to make extra sure there was no fuck-fuck games from the lawyer come court day.

If there is any way out of a probable cause search (those can get hairy in court) and get a warrant instead any cop worth their weight in shit will take that course of action for the simple fact warrants are far more solid in a court, the guy sounds like he went straight textbook. I mean it sucks and I don't support the anti drug policy......but as far as police work goes sounds like you got officer friendly, just the strict end of the stick.