Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Decarb times

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by tokejoke, May 5, 2015.

Okay, Bazz, I've got a couple of suggestions for you that should improve it. I suggest that you let your tincture evaporate about 25% without heat, although with 176 proof you should be able to go a bit further than that if you need to. Try that first before you decide to decarb if you have some now you can use. That should make a considerable difference. 

You can also break your batch into two vessels then use half the alcohol you used for the larger batch and pour it into the first vessel. You can then use the same alcohol for the second vessel and just top it off with fresh to make up for what was absorbed by the material. You use less alcohol that way and it will double your potency right away. Just make sure you have the material covered by .5-1 inch and that should be sufficient. Then to get it even stronger let it evaporate another 25%. 

You can try those things with or without decarb, however is best for you. It also is going to depend on the type of effects. Cannabis like Thai stick and other tropical Sativas usually make up "brickweed" and those are energetic and cerebral. Decarbing an aged Sativa degrades the THC into CBN and makes the tincture sleepier and encourages couchlock. Less decarb of aged material will give your tincture more energy.

But my best recommendation is to make kief out of your buds and then use the kief to make yourself a very concentrated Green Dragon. It's what I recommend for anything less than 190 proof alcohol and it works really great and is easy and doesn't take more than a day total. I have a guide I can link it you're interested.  [​IMG]

2. #22 paincure, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
    [SIZE=9pt]PsychedelicSam[/SIZE]-
    [SIZE=9pt]I'd LOVE to see your guide!!! Please link it!!! [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9pt]Also, question: is Green Dragon stronger than tincture or the other way around...or are they the same thing?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9pt]I have made 2 tinctures with everclear so far.  One that was not decarbed and one that was decarbed.  Even though I'm using (quality-wise) what I think this thread is about (not super crumbly or easily crushed though - not this batch anyway)...: the regular tincture doesn't get me high but kills my pain amazingly (great for work hours) & the decarb does get me high and also kills my pain amazingly (and let's not forget about how well I'm sleeping now with it).  [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9pt]So, I do live in TX and usually get Mexican brick...but that is not the case with my current batch.  So I will follow your instructions above when I get the Mexican brick again.  Do you think Mexican brick is decarbed by the time it gets to TX...since its so close to Mexico??  And when you say make kief out of your bud...do you mean grind it up as finely as possible??[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9pt]Very excited to see your guide, as I have noticed that you are indeed considered the local guru on the subject!!![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9pt]Thanks so much!!![/SIZE]

3. Hi, paincure. To answer your question, Green Dragon is an alcohol tincture then there's glycerin tincture and honey and others. A tincture is basically a fluid application taken orally in a drink or sublingually. Your description of your previous batches is spot on. The non-decarbed tincture does work on a lot of physical issues but the psychoactivity hasn't been activated. That's what the decarb does along with increasing the other effects.

If you have Mexican brickweed then you do not have to decarb but you may want to reduce it more for a really psychedelic experience. It's Sativa and in a tincture those kind of Sativas have a different effect than toking. It will make you feel really good with good mental clarity and sometimes you may not realize until later how high you really are. If you decarb it then you'll degrade the THC into CBN and it will have more body effects. The problem with brickweed is that it is nearly all THC with very little of the other cannabinoids so the only body effects are usually the increased energy and that is amplified in a tincture.

If you're using fresher material, within a few months old, then you would want to decarb in order to pull out the full effects as you described. You shouldn't be able to crush those buds in your finger and that's one of the things you can use as a guide. Usually you can crush a bricked bud by squeezing it between your fingers and it does crumble up. If it doesn't crumble like that then you should decarb it, at least some. Of course, that's not applicable if a bud, bricked or otherwise, was moister and was then left out to dry out. 

You'll get a good tincture from brickweed but it is something you'll want to make stronger than your fresher material for a good buzz and that is mainly because of it's age and condition. One way to do that is by kiefing but I'm not sure how efficient that is with brick because of it's dryness. When you kief brick you don't want to pulverize it because that gets all that plant material, too. Kiefing is about sifting off the trichomes only. You can do that with bubble bags and ice water, dry ice, screening, etc. I use dry ice for my own.

Kiefing is recommended when using alcohol that's less than 190 proof in order to eliminate reduction to concentrate the solution but if you use full 190 proof Everclear, as they have in TX I think, then kiefing isn't really necessary because those dry Mexican buds break down into a much smaller volume than fresher stuff. Most of the weight is seeds and be sure to deseed it, too. 

I'm giving you the link for a thread that has basically just Green Dragon guides and then the specific link for the kief tincture and Martini Shaker dry ice hash. I hope they help and if you have any questions, just ask. [​IMG] 

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread
     Martini Shaker Dry Ice Hash
    http://forum.grasscity.com/incredible-edible-herb/1217451-dragon-liteanother-tincture-thread.html/page-2#entry18088443
    151 Dragon Tincture

4. #24 paincure, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
    Oh YAY!!!  Thanks so much for the speedy reply!! I'm the late one on this reply...oops & sorry!  Yes, we have "real" everclear here in TX.  So...since I need something not intoxicating for pain while at work...sounds like brick will not be a good plan?? I guess I'll have to try it to see "how I do."  So...how do fresh leaves off of an autoflowering plant work in green dragon??  That may be the only non-kind-bud that I can find that is not already decarbed around here.  I'd hate to use the kind for a non-high pain killer...but what are your thoughts on this? 
    Thanks soooooo much!!!

Be sure to dry the leaves completely first and don't decarb. Just try a little bit at first, a half batch or something, but enough for a good test. If you want more from it, next time decarb it 10 minutes. Because it is just leaf you may need more of it but it should give you a good idea of how to proceed. Autos make good tincture so that shouldn't make any difference, just reduce it further if needed. [​IMG]

6. [SIZE=12pt]How to Decarboxylate Cannabis             (news – 2014)    [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]http://greenstyleconsulting.com/decarboxylate/[/SIZE]

These folks do potency testing for a living and know what they are doing.  (I was a college biology lab assistant, so I am familiar with the equipment they have.) I met them at a dispensary where they were doing testing, and I was quite impressed with a little group of informational cards they gave me. Fortunately for you dudes, the only one of the cards that they have only put up on line is the one on decarbing.  (I'm gently hassling the gal to get the rest of them online so I can get them in the List! They are that good!  [​IMG] )

Granny

7. #27 Fredbear, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
    this chart tells me im decarbing way to low and not long enough 220 for 20 min......good results

it tells me I should be decarbing at 300 for 10 to 15 minutes

But I never coved it it ever do you think that's why I got away with a low temp?

• Like Like x 1