Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Decarb times

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by tokejoke, May 5, 2015.

1. Hey guys I've been experimenting with the edibles lately and I have noticed the decarb is a must for me everytime. What I'm trying to figure out is the perfect time for decarb in everyone's opinion. I have tried it a bunch of ways and i can't grasp the perfect time and temp for some reason. Also uncovered or covered? Whole buds or crumble? I've done it all the ways and am still trying to get it right.

"How something appears is always a matter of perspective"

2. Ground or broken up bud
    I do on a oven tray on parchment paper.
    310degreesF
    10-15 minutes or until golden brown.

3. Thats pretty far off from what i use 220 for 30min....Hmmmm mabey ill try in between for this fridays treat....
    .I love it in coconut oil then i dont even strain it Just add it all to instant oatmeal the texture is the same and you cant taste the coconut oil....
    Also if you want to go even further soak your weed over night before you decarb this takes away the weedy taste, Although ive never done it...to me its just not worth it if some how it reduces or just wreaks it all together

4. I do 220 as well, covered, and break it up by hand

5. I bought coconut oil also in place for my veggie oil.

Grind it up and 220 for 30-40 mins wrapped up in aluminum foil is what my recipe says.

Sound about right?

6. Always wrap your buds up, or else the vapor will escape making it less potent. Cheers

-Your point is as pointless as describing colors to a blind man.-

7. I recently found out that if you want Stoney edibles yes decarb for 30+ minutes and if you want a more head euphoria high only do like 20-25

8. Omg. I just made moderately potent batch of 16 cookies. I decarbed on 250 for 18 min. It was in a glass baking conatiner without a top. How much potency do you think I lost????? I used about 1/4 grade A- bud for 1/2 cup butter. Ate one 4 inch cookie along with some chai i made with about half a table spoon. Was blasted for 2 hours and then came down really slowly lasting about 4 hours. I also notice that I have to eat more when I come down to achieve the same level. Is this normal??? Have I blundered????

9. Ok so the 220 time covered sounds about right to me. I think before I did 240 for 20 mins, I'm going to tweak it alittle and go with 220 for 30!

10. uploadfromtaptalk1431140346699.jpg
    I seal mine up in tin foil

I will do that this next run.... do you think a covered glass container would be better???

12. #12 StoneyBaloney777, May 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    I'm going to do some baking my next couple days, I plan on doing 220 for 30 mins decarb with aluminum foil same as pictured above. How long are you cooking your oil for and at what temp? Normal coffee filter after?

13. #13 tokejoke, May 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    I put the oil in at 330 for 30 mins, it worked alot better than peanut butter I've been trying, just put it on some banana oat meal. Turns a nice green color. Keep it covered
    I have only done one gram recipes so no filter I just throw it all in to whatever I'm eating it on. But yea i guess a single coffee filter would work, i need to take more pics during my process

14. If your really set on doing 330 your decarb time should be around 17-20 mins tops.

Lower temps longer cook time.
    Higher temps shorter cook time.

Good luck!

15. Cool thanks I'm gonna do that next time

16. Hi all, I was just going to start a thread on de-carbing but seeing as this thread is already here I'll ask on this one if you don't mind.

I have some weed that Is partially aged/dried (brick weed) and so probably partly naturally de-carbed and I intend to make a green dragon tincture from it so was going to give it a bit of de-carb in the oven, how long do you think I should leave it in for?

Thanks.

If it's brickweed you won't need to decarb at all unless you want to go to sleep. It's already decarbed by aging. If you insist on decarbing then no more than 15 minutes @ 220 but I don't recommend it for the best psychoactivity. Then evaporate enough of the alcohol to concentrate into rocket fuel. Brickweed is old Mexican Sativa that has been warehoused for who knows how long then exported after sitting in a barn but it can have a good Sativa buzz. If you like that kind of uplifting and speedy effects then don't decarb.  [​IMG]

Thanks for the response Sam, it may not be exactly the type of brick weed you are used to as i'm in the UK and it could have come from any where, it's very similar to some Thai sticks that i had a while ago that smoked very well (good buzz) but didn't make a very strong tincture. I thought that perhaps it wasn't quite de-carbed enough so i was going to just give it a little help along the way.

Perhaps i'll just try a half batch and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Ah, okay. I do know that all countries seem to have their own version of brickweed, just not Mexican. I have worked with folks in Asia that have something very similar, street weed. And in Egypt they don't have buds but the equivalent of brickweed hashish as the street level product that's as bad. What you have is a tropical Sativa that is probably aged enough to affect your decarb time. 

When you made tincture from it previously, did you decarb it at all? And how do you make your tincture and had you made some before? Some people consider me a Green Dragon "expert" here on the forum which is a stretch but I do know a little about it so maybe I can help you even more. How do you make it? [​IMG]

20. I appreciate your help on this Sam, no I have never de-carbed before, the method I use is pretty similar to yours, although I generally leave the weed in the alcohol for a week shaking twice daily after the freezer part. I use 176 proof vodka as it's the strongest I can get here in the UK. No heating though, just freezing and shaking.