GoldGrowers 15 strain early flowering experiment

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by GoldGrower, May 4, 2015.

1. the plants seem to be doing pretty well so I've changed my mind about modifying the feed lines. I'll check the root structure on these when they are finished to see if there are any dry spots. If there is then ill do the modifications for the next run which will be breeding autos

[​IMG]

2. Once you pick the early flowering plant, how many clones are you going to put outside?

3. that is a good question. I'm seriously running low on time. Basically I'm going to root as many clones as I can. But I fear that it won't be many at all because I'll need to get them outdoors within a few weeks from now

4. Ah, so you have to take clones before you even choose the plant? Or did I get that wrong haha

5. #105 GoldGrower, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
    yeah, I'd prefer to take clones before they start flowering, but because of the lack of time it's going to be close.
    I'll drop the light hours next week but I don't suspect that anything will start flowering that week, and that's the week I'll probably be taking cuts, one of each. I'll then root them over a week or two while dropping the light hours slowly to induce flowering on the originals.
    The clones will be kept on 24/0 light cycle in the same tent as my 6 autos here's a link to that tent --> http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-grow-journal...

6. growth is looking pretty good considering they had such a ropey start. They are now three and a half week old

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. I've changed my plan again.

Last Thursday I changed the light cycle to 15/9 and every 5 days I am cutting the light hours down by 15 minutes. Tuesday will see me changing to 14.45/9.15

I'll be cutting a clone of each tomorrow

8. Looks great man, can't wait to see them. Start changing. We should do a pool to pick the strain that flowers with the most daylight hours. I'd pick green poison to start first.

9. @leagalAlaska
    that's a really cool idea man. I wish you said that before because I think I may already have the first flowerer.

I may have started the experiment with a light cycle that is too short, because the light has been on 15/9 for 5 days and the Northern Lights Blue looks like it's proper flowering.

Around here that is the equivalent of starting to flower at the beginning of August.

The only problem is, is that the plant was the only one that had pre-flowers whilst they were on 24/0. So maybe some of the others aren't mature enough to flower yet.

I'm short on time to plant the clones outdoors so I have rushed this experiment and I just hope it doesn't ruin the results.

I may leave it on 15/9 for another week to allow extra time for some others to show flowering, I'm not sure what to do.

Unfortunately the Northern Lights Blue it one horrible looking plant. Probably THE most stretched plant I have ever grown (pineapple express#2 coming in at a close second). All the other plants look quite normal.

One thing that has crossed my mind is, what if this Northern Lights Blue is an auto? That would explain the stretching and the early flowering.

When I take the clones they will all be on 24/0 so I guess if that's an auto it will prove itself then

10. I just went back through my past orders on attitude seed bank and 10 orders ago there it was, fucking Auto Northern Lights Blue. Unbelievable. I still have the packet that the seed was in and the label doesn't say it's an auto so it was kept in my photoperiod box.

I'm going to try and rig something up in my other tent for it tomorrow so it will be under an HPS 24/0.

I was so dam happy that I had a plant flowering under 15/9 haha, that would have been awesome.

I was planning on cutting it right back tonight and taking about 6-8 clones off it. I'm so glad I hadn't done it yet lol

11. Nice I do hate the labels they throw on them seeds. I have a hard time with it also.

12. dam everything is looked saweeeeeeeeeeeeeet an always goin the way u want in terms of growth, well if not how u want at least how we all want an strive for our plants to look anyway LOL. I was wondering how do u keep ya seeds fresh with all that ones u have?

13. I keep my seeds sealed in zip lock bags. The bags kept in an air tight plastic food container. And kept in my refrigerator. They seem to keep pretty well in there

14. this is the auto northern lights blue. It's now in its own bucket. There's a 3w water pump in there feeding the pot just like before. But it's now getting 24/0 of light.

It towered over the other plants. Probably twice the height of them.

[​IMG]

the others

[​IMG]

15. growth is very uneven so I have switched them all around again in some hope that the canopy will even up a bit

[​IMG]

This is how they are now laid out

[​IMG]

I have now switched to 14.45/9.15 and will be adding another 15 minutes of darkness in 5 days time

16. Late to the party... I need to venture out of the Hydroponic section and into the grow journals more!

Killer setup, Gold!
    On my top feed, I made drip rings from tubing to ensure even wetting of the medium as I moved to larger pots. Maybe you could incorporate a similar idea on the next run.

17. that's a good idea mate and I might just do that. I'm sure ill tweak a few things for the next round and a drip ring would solve the distribution problem.

I have already bought all the fittings I need to add a second drip line like the one I have already so I may try that out first.

I did have 3 pods empty for a week or two and they were getting watered the same as the others and I mixed up the clay balls and there were no dry spots. But without a plant sucking them dry I guess the water has more time to migrate.

These plants seem to like it though, they are growing pretty fast now

18. They look good and healthy too!

19. Thanks man, I'm pretty pleased with this system, a great alternative to DWC for the summer. I always struggle with high root temperatures in the summer, but this seems to help

20. can relate

hydro in the summer is a bitch. took me 3 years to get used to summer runs and keep temps in optimal range