MSM reporting police brutality and corruption

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JohnnyWeedSeed, May 1, 2015.

1. Personally I think you misunderstand the MSM. Yes, they're happy to proliferate government propaganda, but only because it gives them access to better stories, making them more money. Reporting on police brutality/ the baltimore riots is better than your average sensationalist storyline because it's actually real. Everyone will watch, which means they make money money money. They're not gonna toe the government line when there's shit loads of dollah to be made.

2. Civilian corruption and brutality is the elephant in the living room that nobody wants to talk about. The civil rights of an elderly veteran who is forced to watch his 70 year old wife being raped and tortured to death are no less important than the civil rights of a persistent felon who dies in police custody.

Seems to me that the civil rights of some are more equal than others, especially when the initial complaint is dwarfed by hundreds of civil rights violations that occur in protest retaliation of the original incident. If police brutality is a problem, then civilian brutality is an epidemic as it generates far more civil rights violations than the former. All brutality, all civil rights violations should generate outrage, not just a select few that fit a certain narrative.

[​IMG]

3. Sadly they are toting the Government propaganda, have you not heard the calls for a "national police force" because of this?

4. Wow.

So someone who didn't do anything illegal was illegally kidnapped and died while in the custody of his kidnappers and you try to justify it by saying he should have cooperated?

5. I'm not justifying anything.  I'm stating a fact.  It's likely Freddie Gray would be alive today if he hadn't fought the police.  Look, I don't like to defend the police as I think in general they are scum but when Michael Brown was shot I fell for the hands up lie just as most of us did and it turned out that shooting was justified and when Trayvon Martin was killed I fell for that story at first too.  This time when they start the "black lives matter" crap I'm not going to blindly follow along.  I want to know what happened that broke Gray's neck.  Why he was arrested doesn't matter in the slightest, how he died does and we just don't know yet.

6. #46 ashmagic487, May 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
    Gray would likely be alive if he hadn't been stopped because he was black and if the cops had followed protocol. You people disgust me. You're okay with police brutality because people lied about seeing what happened...but are okay with the cops getting away with being liars? I wonder how you would handle being stopped for no other reason than how you look like. They killed him by not following protocol. No wonder people are sick of the violence when scum like you justify it. I would have expected better from a forum about using marijuanna.

7. #47 yurigadaisukida, May 4, 2015
    true
    Y?
    Please I dare you. Quote one person who is OK with this.
    You have selective reading issues.

-yuri

8. #48 Cactus Ed, May 4, 2015
    What did I say that makes you think I'm okay with police brutality?  What did I say to lead you to believe I'm okay with cops being liars?  Where did I justify anything?  Are you calling me scum for wanting to know how Gray's neck was broken before I blame the cops for breaking it or is there some other reason?  I'm not saying I'm not scum, don't get me wrong.  I thought we were making this a cop issue, not a race issue. If you think it's about race then explain why a black paddy wagon driver killed a black guy because he was black.

Has it been established Gray was "stopped" because he was black or are all stops involving black people racially motivated?  If they stop people for being black in Baltimore there would never be traffic on the highways.

Who said any of these things? Oh yea, that's right, you made them up.

10. Its a fact he would be alive if he hadn't come in contact with the police. Im sorry you fell for those other #blacklivesmatter, I read the facts and was for the cops\\zimmermen in those cases. Never believe the hype, do your own research. The very first facts that came out in this case was the cops lied about what happened during and after the illegal arrest(wasn't known the arrest was illegal at that time) and Freddy was alive when taken into custody and somewhere in transit he suffered a "medical emergency in which 80% of his spinal cord was severed."  Sounds like the cops at a minimum are guilty of negligence.

11. Because you've been in more than one thread defending their actions when they have killed people.

It's an easy conclusion to draw.

12. Please don't make this another abortion thread.

13. Conclusions are always easy when you make up the facts to support them.  Where did I defend anyone's actions?

14. I agree, it does sound that way. The facts didn't come out in the Michael Brown case for quite some time, eh?  Good for you for waiting weeks before choosing sides on that one.  Most of us thought it was the cops fault as soon as we heard his friend lying about hands up.  Liars are the worst.

15. I don't understand the outrage supporting the officers. At any point an enforcer of the law is accused they should be treated as every other citizen. Arrested, central booking, make bail, and await trial.

They're shouldn't be outrage that the prosecutor decided to press charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. Um, you literally defended them, right here, in this thread. I don't need to make anything up. People can read.

17. #57 papabull, May 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
    I agree. There is absolutely no cause for outrage because police are suspected of and charged with a crime. Nor should there be outrage if the same justice system doesn't find evidence to indict or convict. Police brutality is a crime that should be very aggressively confronted and prosecuted. Same with rioting, looting, vandalism, etc. Police need to know they will be held accountable for their actions. Protesters need to know this, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. I don't see how I could have because I think it's likely they are guilty.  I've said I don't know the facts, I don't know how or where Gray died, and I've said folks should stop protesting until they know what happened.  But maybe I did defend them accidently, I frequently misstate things.  Which post was it?

19. I don't think there's outrage at a prosecutor bringing charges. There may be outrage at how astonishingly fast the 6 were charged coupled with the nature of mistakes that have already been made in the act of charging them.

True to the spirit of mob vengeance (vs legal justice), the politically pressured authorities gave out the names and addresses of the six accused so their families could be properly harassed.. Nice! But they gave out the wrong name and address for one of the cops! [​IMG] So, a woman and her family not even remotely connected to the situation are getting death threats and are afraid to leave their home. I would sue the fucking city for reckless endangerment! 

As time passes and we learn more about what took place behind the scenes, there may very well be plenty of outrage. Or at least should be if the charges are found to have been brought in reckless haste merely to assuage a mob's lust for violence and vengeance, and/or skirted or denied due process, and/or denied legal presumptions of innocence, and/or disregarded evidence, and/or any other major circumventions of justice that authorities are and will be under pressure (and may be tempted) to take.

People are forgetting that if any of these things are found to be have occurred, an appeals court may very well overturn any initial conviction of wrongdoing and potentially guilty parties may walk and Baltimore will have an even better excuse for raising even more hell. 

20. Mr. Gray requested medical assistance, which was not afforded to him in a timely manner and now he is dead. That is the issue. There have been countless lawsuits involving BPD and excessive force

I saw a mention of Michael Brown somewhere in here. The DOJ report stated Darren Wilson's account of what happened was most likely true based on physical evidence and witness testimony (not to mention a lack of consistency from those who claimed Brown had his hands up). The DOJ also concluded there was widespread racism within the ferguson police department.

The truth can be messy, but where there is smoke....there is usually fire.