MSM reporting police brutality and corruption

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JohnnyWeedSeed, May 1, 2015.

1. Ohh... MSM.. yeah ratings. 

• Like Like x 1
  2. #22 forty winks, May 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
    so ...

When the "media" fails to report on things that matter, then the media is shit and when it does, it's still shit.

Would you all prefer the "media" not report examples of police brutality?  Fuck, there's an entire thread to that end.  Why is it different now?

And as far as rating go, the shareholders demand a return on their investments, so that's good, right?

Unless we all want more tax payer funded public broadcasting?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Police corruption stories are in high demand now thanks to the internet and increasing government presence.

The media is still an industry. They need viewers.

Reporting on what's popular insures more people will listen to your opinion on it as well.

-yuri

• Like Like x 1
  4. #24 Cactus Ed, May 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
    In what way are they getting owned?

5. their goal first and foremost is to get the highest raitings

whether or not they cover things that matter is a by-product 

you think a bunch of well to do people in new york city care about police violence in baltimore more then fattening their own wallets? i don't 

Make hay when the sun shines is the applicable principle, 'cause it doesn't often shine in the winters of our discontent.

7. #27 Lenny., May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    The sun is always shining here

Don't really watch the mainstream media, as it's called 

This is true but the whole industry has been decimated. Low attention spans, idiots as citizens who know zero about squat combine that with not caring as well.

Everywhere you go printed media is virtually dead, downsizing, hemorrhaging. TV viewing is abysmal. Things are on the ropes at CNN and MSNBC that there attempting to reinvent themselves. CNN by making non news shows number one priority, and MSNBC's plan is to swing to the right.

3 main news sources are yahoo news, Facebook feeds and twitter for the morons of the nation and that is most of them.

Loaded up with student debt, in an economy that's about out of juice. Paying into a benefit system that they wont see, having to support this massive military industrial complex when it is providing them less safety in reality.. 

Reddits demographics i imagine, are highschoolers  - post college grads.. I think this demographic has a pretty difficult time living a "normal" life, many of them are moving back home and working dead end or low paying jobs. 

10. There is a third option imo. The unrest is reaching a boiling point so instead of having the focus on the high level criminals (politicians, corporate, FED etc) why not guide the unrest and focus on the low level people who are merely following/protecting the corrupt laws put in place.

I dont sympathize with police, i just dont want all the focus on the leaves of the rotting tree.

11. Let's give some credit to the protesters.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I agree, I give credit to protestors no matter what they are protesting.

Anyone who stands up for their convictions is admirable to me.

13. #34 ashmagic487, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
    The police have always gotten away with brutality in the past, and now social media is making them more accountable. Regardless of whatever crime he did or didn't commit, they killed him with their negligence. I'm relieved to see these fuckers were actually charged considering the fact that he wasn't doing anything illegal besides fleeing.

• Like Like x 4
  14. I think the youth are being owned by those telling them they have no chance in life to become successful, life's hopeless, and that there is nothing left over for them.  Why should they go the extra mile and study for that economics test tomorrow instead of partying now, or get a job and work their way thru school rather than take out huge student loans when it's all futile. They're constantly told the deck is stacked against them, that society won't look past their skin color, that the rich people are hording all the money and won't give them their fair share.  In fact the quality of their future is dependent on the choices they make today, not on what new government benefit the soul sucking politicians (who they are told are controlled by big business and the Jews) decide to dole out.

Me too, except when they become a mob out for blood like the protesters in Baltimore.  At this point there's no way to know what led to Grey's death.  Maybe the cops did break his neck in the back of the paddy wagon after the fourth stop but maybe his arrest on trumped up charges pissed him off to the point he tried to injure himself and blame the cops in an attempt to get them in trouble.  The protestors don't know and don't even seem to know they don't know.  They get no respect from me.  Well, I guess I do respect them more than I respect cops in general but that's not saying much.  I do admire people that stand up for justice and these protesters aren't doing that, they are standing up for what they are told to stand up for.

• Like Like x 1
  15. It's just another stop on their little news cycle...things to talk about, but to steer people to feel about issues a certain way
    The same people who believe in a big government are only going to use police brutality as an excuse to grow the government and to creat more roles for government in our everyday lives....
    The police have to much power. That's what I think

Okay Ed, why don't you tell them what they should be standing up for.

17. Until they know what happened they should sit down.

If they sit down, they'll never get to the truth of what happened.  The protests forced them to look deeper into the guy's death.  And what do you know, the cops broke all kind of rules and even lied about the number of stops.

Do you honestly believe that without the protests, all this would have come to light?

I don't for a second.

• Like Like x 2
  19. #40 Cactus Ed, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
    You make a good point but at this time we still don't know what happened so what exactly came to light?  I'd bet that second stop wasn't logged because of laziness or negligence on the part of the driver rather than some sinister reason.  Grey's spinal cord wasn't severed until after the fourth stop.  I think if Grey had cooperated with the police the charges would have been dismissed because he had no switchblade as they claimed.  Do you honestly believe if he had simply cooperated he would still be dead?