Specific Comparison of 600W LED and 600W HPS/MH

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by landsley, May 1, 2015.

1. Hi all, I am lighting a 4'x2' area and am trying to figure out which light I want to get.  For the longest time I was set on the 600W HPS/MH set up but with all of the talk of LEDs I am trying to figure out which is best.  My budget is around $200 for lighting and I have two examples but if anyone has better suggestions I am always willing to listen.  [​IMG]  Thank you!!!

iPower 600w 600 watt HPS MH Grow Light Digital Dimm System Indoor Garden Set
    *** I selected the set up with the 6" air cool hood ***

600W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum Flower LED Hydroponics Indoor plant Lamp Panel

2. No led that will fit a 200 dollar budget will ever keep up with a 600 watt hps/mh setup. And I say that and I use nothing but led now. I didn't even look at the led light you posted, cause I don't have too. But you will have to cool the hps/ mh setup. It can get hot. Don't waste your money on cheap led lighting. And don't believe the hype that some 200 dollar led will out perform a 1000 watt hps. Its bullshit. You need a good priced led, look at mars hydro dot com. They make decent lights and are pretty cheap considering they actually work. And when buying a led, you gotta look at actual power draw. I just looked, the led you posted is garbage. Do not buy garbage. I power makes decent lights. So if you have those 2 choices that fit your budget, the I power hps/mh combo is the absolute right choice.. Now if you had a 5 or 6 hundred dollar budget, a decent led could be had from mars hydro. But you don't. So go hps route.

Happy growing.

3. All these grown under a mars hydro led. That led you posted won't grow like this. A 600 watt hps will, but not your cheapo led. So go 600 hps. Or save more money and get a good led.

Happy growing again..

Attached Files:

4. Cheers Nuker!!  That was an awesome answer.  I definitely want to move to LED in the future but don't have the cash at the moment.  Thanks so much for your informed reply. My question is definitely answered.[​IMG]  Happy growing and absolutely beautiful plants!

If you want to cover 4x2 ft grow size, i can recommend you 2 Mars II 400W, but if you want to replace the 600W HPS/MH. i can recommend you a Mars II 1200W .

6. Actually in a 4 foot by 2 foot space the 2 400 watt units would be superior with proper canopy positioning Sara. :)

7. Is the output of the 400W Mars II as great as a 400W HPS/MH?  Yield is what I'm looking at foremost and I don't have a huge budget to spend on lights on my first grow.  I'm just trying to figure out the way I can get the most yield on my first grow.  I definitely love the LED concept but I know there is a lot of controversy over yield.  Would I be able to get the same yield if I placed two 400W Mars II lights as compared to two 400W HPS/MH lights?

Nope, the Mars II 400W's real draw power is 170-200W, can equal to a 2500W HPS, not 400W please note this.

9. #9 Al Swearengen, May 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
    Sara meant equal to a 250 watt HID and not 2500 watt HID, if you want 400 watts over a 2x2 area you will need a 400 watt draw LED light and not 200 watt draw LED light, which is what the MARS 400 is, a 200 watt draw LED of good spectrum.

lol, yep, it equal to 200-250WHID, so 2 Mars II 400W will be good in 2x4ft i'm sure.

11. Your budget of $200 only leaves you with one choice...600w HID.

12. if your location is in US, you can spend 248.99USD to buy a reflector 144x5W. now the price is same with reflector 144x3.W, we will raise the price after all the lights be upgraded to 5W[​IMG]

13. You are better off making your on lights. I would suggest Cree CXB better than any pre made panel. I make 413 watt panels that are 138,000 lumens

14. that are unproven. And a fire hazard.

15. Ah someone is butt hurt still. I checked your threads and you really are clueless. You didn't know FF grow wasn't organic? I need to check the rest of your Mars panels to see if more diodes are burnt out. And yes the Cree cxa/b are already been proven that's why I started making my own. Keep on with me and I'm gonna clown you and make you look like the fool you are REAL talk. Also I do reggae and rap with a splash of dancehall.

• Like Like x 1