Opening a dispensary

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by goddess72, May 1, 2015.

1. Has anyone started up a dispensary? (Because it's just that simple, right? 😉..yes that's sarcasm).

I have a few investors and would love to take this on but wondered if opening up one in MI. where medical is legal (not recreational) or DC that has now legalized both. My partner strictly wants to do medical in MI but I would rather go where recreational is legal.

Thoughts?

2. Find out your partners reason for wanting to move forward in MI instead of DC where I agree with you It'd be better, more business I assume... good luck with everything :)

3. Thanks @misshighlife It's simply because he lives there now and one investor also lives in MI. I'm just uneasy with sticking with just MMJ vs opening up in DC where it's fully legalized (almost there).

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. I would get to where things are headed.  Sometimes making a business decision should be based on what's going to be a hit.  Let me explain.. Michigan is headed that way and if you want to come here before those laws you would be ahead of the competition which in Lansing there is not much.

On the other hand you could go out west but the problem could be to much competition and the big dogs are taking over the search engines. 

It's a hard call but I'm sure what you need is more research and a good sound business strategy. 

good luck buddy!

5. Well considering rec shops are illegal in DC I would assume it would be pretty hard to open one.

6. Consider this.  Have you even looked at what types of money is made in Medical shops?  Lots in most cases if it is run properly.  To be honest I can't see how you couldn't make a small fortune.  

Guess who gets the first crack at Recreational shops if they become available.....you guessed it, Established Medical shops that already have a business plan AND their own supply system.  

To uproot yourself over a business that you could do at home doesn't make much sense to me at all.  You guys KNOW the area, you KNOW the people and the local culture.  You probably know the places that would be good for a shop.