Bong/Water Pipe Noob

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by ESeg, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Hey, love using bongs, don't know shit about the logic and parts of a bong.

I want to buy a nice, great bong. I was thinking about getting a bong with a carbon filter. Should I get more than that? I want a great hit. Should I get the carbon filter, ash catcher, kclips and showerhead? Or just one or the other.

Any help is appreciated.

- Eric

2. Forgot to mention, budget is under $200. I also need a grinder, so $210.

3. First bong? I wouldn't spend 200 on one yet. Accidents happen. You don't need too many percs. Maybe one or two with an ice catcher for a startup bong. When you have a good storing location for it then splurge. Unless money isn't really an issue.

4. I've smoked for 8 years now and I use a $35 basic beaker style 12in. ice bong.

Got if from local headshop,china glass,decently thick glass. It never falls over
    and its cheap so when it breaks I wont be upset.

Buy a cheap one and use and whenyou really find one you want buy it and use
    it every now and then, but personally I'd say use a cheap one most days.

5. yeah man, you don't want too many percs... it gets super draggy, especially with tree percs. obviously go for a diffused/showerhead/stemline downstem and then a single perc. the carbon filter's not a bad idea, but I'd go with an external... like a male to female carbon filter adapter so you can choose when to use it (a lot actually come with keck clips). if you get an ash catcher, you should get a simple tube with just like an ice pinch, no built-in percs. just make sure it's big enough to support the extra weight and/or length of the ash catcher and carbon filter attachments.... you don't want it to be too heavy and throw off the balance of your tube because then you'll probably break everything. I've never much cared for ash catchers, I just try to keep my glass clean. 420 Science makes this stuff called RezBlock... just drop a few drops in with your water and be sure to change your water daily and it really keeps your tube clean without the extra bulk of an ash catcher. even with keck clips, the more separate pieces you have, the more susceptible you are to breakage.

if you're going to do it though, do it right... remember you get what you pay for. f*ck china glass!

6. #6 errlhead, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
    also, it's worth actually getting a rig... even if you don't dab now or dab regularly, you probably will at some point... so if you get a rig with a male joint, you can actually get a female slide so it's just made backwards from a standard water pipe... then you can use your pipe either way. most rigs come with a dome and nail and then you can get a female slide pretty cheap (some places will just throw one in free if you ask for one).

a lot of rigs are shorter too, like under 12"-16" which I prefer to huge water pipes... I've broken (or my friends broke) pretty much every water pipe I've had over 16" and a few were $500+ nice thick glass...  after 16" they start getting too tall to just sit down on a table or whatever and they end up on the floor getting kicked over. if you have pets you definitely want something smaller you can hang on to or just put on the table. and shorter pipes still hit hard... one of my hardest hitting pipes is a little pendant rig, no more than 3.5" tall and that thing is a beast!

14mm female slide (for male joint)

[​IMG]

Everything my friend said here and in his second post is very accurate. If you live in an area with shitty wax and no hope of getting actual medical grade CLEAN medicine in oil form then please dont smoke oil. Its very unhealthy if not made correctly and I wouldnt want you getting oil just because you got a rig and then ending up intaking unhealthy stuff....If you do live in a populated area and you KNOW that there is good oil around then yes you should get a piece with a male joint that way in the future you have a multi use piece. 

Always remember that with flower It is nicer to have more percolation (single perc is best, not a tree) to cool the SMOKE and to filter it somewhat since its disgusting (since its burnt plant matter) but with oil its actually the opposite. With oil you want the least percolation with the most diffusion. Percolation means bubbles basically and the amount that a perc makes and diffusion is smoke/vapor to water contact. Alot of people use these terms loosely and interchange them but they actually have different meanings. So remember for flower you want percolation over diffusion and for oil you want as much diffusion but with as little percolation possible. Try to find something with a nice balance!! Good luck!!!

8. #8 Established Pilot, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
    I do not recommend getting a basic bong like others have said. I find that simple basic production bongs have worse taste. That's just me. I like diffusion.

Its important to know that the number of percs doesn't indicate anything about the quality of the piece. Nor does the overall girth or height. A lot of "bong noobs" make that mistake.

If you want diffusion, its important to note that Quality of diffusion is the most important factor. Not the number of diffusion points, if you will. Some perc designs are better and more timeless than others. The sovereignty stem line for example. Or the SGW waffle. These are simple yet infinitely effective designs. You can tell by how they stack bubbles!

Rigs:
    My advice, it depends on where you live. If you fan readily get oil, then get a rig. Chances are yoy will be happy with it for both oils and flowers (provided its not too small. Oil tubes are much smaller for flavor conservation. But with flowers a small tube can mean hotter and harsher smoke). I say get a medium bong. Between 9-15 inches.

So my advice ?
    Go to aqualabtrchnologies (google it) and find some stuff you like , come back here and post images and we can help ya out. Get something with a diffused bowl too... Again goes back to flavor, I'll swear by it.

And 10 bone on a grinder is semi low end but it depends on what you want. You can get a decent 4 stage grinder for around 20 bucks.

Sorry if I ramble, but I'm a glass head. And I love bongs. So if you want any opinions before pulling the trigger, just hit me up man. I will help ya out.

My setup.
    https://youtu.be/EnTKsSVTdhs

9. #9 Established Pilot, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
    Also, this is confusing. With glass, percolation and diffusion are pretty much the same thing. A percolator is where diffusion happens. (Diffusion is the moving of one substance thru another - smoke thru water). People just call it percolation cus we call em Percs.

All water pipes diffuse. Otherwise we wouldn't need the water. What determines how much, is the percolator. No?

You want less diffusion for oil. More for flower.
    Diffusion strips harshness, and a bit of flavor.

You want less harshness for flower, more flavor for oil. So it's self explanatory.

10. First piece I recommend a simple beaker or straight tube.  As for the grinder route, if you plan on toking don't cheap out, don't necessarily need to go name brand but grinders will last a lifetime.
    $35 image grinder
    View attachment 142270
    View attachment 142271

11. Agree.
    I say straight tube, and stemless.
    Meaning no removable down stem. Just means less delicate pieces to try not to break.

12. #12 invinciblejets, May 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
    I'd say straight tube no Percs with upgraded downstem.

Stemless chug like a bitch with tons of drag and have barley any diffusion

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. #13 Established Pilot, May 4, 2015
    Bruh.... How can you say that. Stem line, waffle, g line, shit even honeycombs. All stemless. All zero drag factor.

Correction.
    *Shitty* stemless pieces chug like a bitch w tons of drag. Same with all shitty pieces.

14. #14 invinciblejets, May 4, 2015
    Please don't call me that first of all.

Second this is a stemless bong ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1430698181.461380.jpg

The examples you gave are types of percs...... And btw most honeycombs have a fair bit of drag also.

15. #15 Established Pilot, May 4, 2015
    A little late now... lol
    I named those perc designs, because they are all stemless designs... Thought I made that clear. I in fact have a stemline. You can see in the video its stemless...
    Are you telling me that a SG Stem line "barely" has diffusion?

What you posted is a stemless with a natural perc. If so, then duh to the chug and little diffusion. But there are stemless pieces out there that diffuse off the charts. Like mine.

I'll give it to you on the honeycombs. Not a design I'd ever purchase.

16. True they are obviously stemless Percs. I mean it's not like they could be attached to a downstems anyway.

I hear stemless bong I just imagine the natural old school stemless design no perc design.
    But I feel ya. Those you mentioned are good choices if that what op is looking for.

17. True,
    Yeah I agree a natural perc is useless. The bubbles come out huge. In that scenerio, then yes. Oh yes, beaker with upgraded down stem.

18. i recommend spending like 80 bucks on your first bong you really don't need all the extra percs and stuff they have benifits and downsides once you learn what those are you can get a bong with them but just starting out it's better to get a entry piece and learning how to use it before spending all your money

19. #19 Established Pilot, May 4, 2015
    Thing about cheap glass is its cheap quality. Often China glass. I won't get into it, but just know you don't want that.

Think: glass bong from the gas station.