Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Auto watering containers ?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ktmitch, Apr 29, 2015.

1. I wanted to start growing in my forest at my cottage this summer but i dont want to have to treck through the bug infested forest everyday to water it....

I am interested in the idea of auto watering pots and have a few questions about them .

How long would one bucket of water last ( typical foot tall bucket )

How big should my plants be before i start using an autwatering pot

How does it work and how reliable is it ?

Could i theoretically stack multiple buckets and have enough water for months ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Autowatering pots generally keep the soil too moist for marijuana, which likes a dry period and well aerated soil. And you need to check on your plants at least every few days, which is how long the can go without watering in large pots/the ground, or they could get sick or eaten by deer or something.

3. I will still check it every 5 days or so , and couldnt i just use less wick to suck less water therefor not flooding the plants soil?

4. The problem is the soil will be constantly damp, you want it to dry out quite a bit between waterings.

5. Interesting but that makes sense considering it is a tropical plant . Can you elaborate on the drying period ?

How often should i water the plant at lets say.... 6 weeks in ?

6. When I grew in soil I'd water 1 gallon of water per gallon of soil and then wait until the leaves droop slightly and the top of the soil begins to crack then water again, about every 3 - 4 days in medium pots maybe 5 - 6 in a large one.