Clean Energy Source - Magnets

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Deleted member 839659, Apr 28, 2015.

1. So you guys didn't like the solar panels in the Sahara idea from a few months back? Well try to poke holes in this one.

Attached Files:

• 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      99 KB
      Views:
  2. #2 SIRSOG, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
    to make it spin would require electromagnets which would require a source of power

and most electronics anywhere near that thing would stop working lol

woot? dont magnets naturally attract metal?

4. #4 Sneaky Snake, Apr 28, 2015

I was just going to post that. That sketch of the magnet thing is pretty much a bad schematic of an electric motor like you would find in any electric appliance.

5. Yeah.. its not easy to get magnets to keep spinning each other without some outside influence as there would be a point where the magnetic lines line up and hold it in place until you apply force to get it to spin again. One thing you could do is if you found a good repelling set up is attach a small wind mill of sorts where the wind would add some force to keep it moving while the magnets repel one another.

yes, so put a piece of metal in between 2 magents. Does it get locked into a position or does it just rotate?

7. #7 Deleted member 839659, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    What if the entire concoction rocks back and forth to give the propeller things a bit of momentum?

i'm flattered tht u even called tht a schematic [​IMG]

edit: there has to be some way to keep it going. what if the magnets move around as well somehow?

power source for the thing that rocks it back and forth?

And how are you going to cool it?

Small wind mill? And a battery to keep it rocking when there's no wind.

10. Well if you do all of that, you've kind of just tried to invent a perpetual motion device that doesn't have perpetual motion but is powered by a battery of some sort. I'm going to say go back to the drawing board.

11. There are lots of YT videos of magnetic energy devices not needing a jump start

12. Nope, not this time. I think I'll just keep moving along...

13. So, friction is inherent in generators.  You might be able to easily spin an object with magnets but in order to generate electricity, the magnets would need to overcome the friction of the generator.  In order to do that, you need the electric magnets, which would use more electricity than the device would create.

All power generators convert one form of energy to another, and it requires a lot of that feedstock to create substantial amounts of energy.  The key is to get the feedstock (and processing) cost down well below the cost of electricity you're producing.

14. I've been working in the renewable energy industry for about 7 years.

15. I think there are a few schools where you can get a magnetics engineering degree. There are something like 14 different kinds of magnetism so if you learned about them all in some detail you might find more ways to experiment.

16. Back when I used to play with magnets a lot.. I took an old CD spindle and put one CD down with magnets superglued around the edge. Then took a second CD and did the same, only so that they'd repel against the first. It would just float there, but give it a good flick and it'd spin for minutes til it settled down. Then I attached some fins to the top CD and put it out in the wind and it spun like crazy.. ended up breaking the superglue bond and sending the magnets flying. It was fun while it lasted.

17. we have that already. Its called a windmill.

However, I wonder if a windmill design involving magnets would work. You might be on to something.

-yuri

:D

19. #19 yurigadaisukida, Apr 28, 2015
    this would then be a wind powered device. Therefore, no new clean energy source, just a new windmill

You are simply using magnets yo try to increase your efficiency

-yuri

20. -

Attached Files: