China Glass

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by DabsOnTheMountain, Apr 28, 2015.

1. #1 DabsOnTheMountain, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
    What is your opinion on Chinese made glass? Do you all honestly hate them 100%? Or do you secretly all have a piece of cheap glass?

I think it's fine. You shouldn't have a shelf dedicated to cheap glass, but having cheap glass around is almost a necessity I thought. You need a piece for when friends are over, or for travel, or for when your low on cash and your piece just broke. Theres crappy chinese glass, the uneven trees, and the terrible blue and green coloring they always use. But theres good stuff too. I see nothing wrong with the good stuff.
    Look at this..
    http://www.dhgate.com/product/2015-new-glass-faberge-egg-water-pipes-glass/233845598.html#s1-1-1b|3284203405
    or this
    http://www.dhgate.com/product/8-7-inch-glass-recycler-amazing-vortex-recycler/216222776.html#s1-0-1b|3284203405
    and then watch this:
    https://youtu.be/KI2wT109YKY?t=1m

I'm starting to see more acceptance, but theres a lot of people on here who really seem to be against chinese glass still. They say it's just low quality, and it's going to break. I get that, but isn't all glass going to break eventually? I've seen more heady pieces break than cheap pieces. Usually because people are rough with stuff they think is unbreakable, but still, I've witnessed a toro and a sov downgrid break. Both in careless hands. I havn't broken any of my pieces yet. And those same careless hands have used my pieces too. People say it's all made in sweatshops too, but some of these pieces are made by very skilled workers. I have trouble believing every factory is a sweatshop, especially one making quality glass with those skilled workers. Of course it's good to support your local blowers more than anything, but why knock on people for owning a cheap rig? Why?

2. It doesn't matter what you find hard to believe it is cheap non annealed glass made by 12 yr olds in sweat shops

3. #3 DabsOnTheMountain, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
    It may be cheap and non annealed, but it's not, or my pieces and my friends would have broken. Hundreds of times. And why do you care? is it in your house? or are you just being a little bit snobby?
    The sweatshop part is debateable. It's a fucking glassblowing factory, lol, they get hot, no question, but the 12 year old part is bullshit and you know it. Look at those pieces. You pay $400 for the skill here. Up to $1500. If you think kids are doing that then pick up a torch bud. You start making fab eggs.
    I'm the one who wins, because I'm not wasting money on BS namebrands here in the US. I'd buy a real egg someday. But why does that price have to rise with every batch they make?

4. Your level of intelligence on the matter and stubbornness makes it pointless to discuss this topic with you. Have a nice day

5. You just posted a thread about using pendants as carb caps... 
    You have plenty of expensive pieces of glass...
    I already know its pointless trying to argue with you, you're blinded by the hole all this heady glass left in your wallet.

And what I find great here is your calling me stubborn. You can't open up your head to the idea that some people don't want a $1000 dollar rig. It's a waste of money.

6. some people just cant accept reality....
    china glass is stupid cheap because its garbage.

lower quality raw materials.
    lower skilled laborers.
    little/no r&d.
    etc.
    etc.

stimulate your own economy, buy local...
    or make some factory owner rich, while they exploit an entire workforce...
    in the end the decision is entirely up to you.

7. While buying American glass is always the best bet, sometimes Chinese glass has its place. I have met a lot of glass blowers who are honest and know the realistic selling worth of their glass, and I have met glass blowers who are so full of their own shit, its sad. That's where Chinese glass capitalizes IMO. When normal Joe Stoner needs a little rig for dabs or flower, im sure they don't have enough scratch to buy a $1000 rig, so they opt for the $150 fab egg from dhgate. Now, im not saying all glass blowers are jerks, far from it. Most of the guys I have met were awesome, down to earth guys. There have been a few bad apples who were selling their stuff for such an insane markup, the only people that can buy it are Russian oligarchs. I would think making your functional art available to everyone in any income bracket would be the way to go.

8. #8 Dr.Fumbles, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
    ^thats like saying ferarri are assholes for not making a version available to all income brackets.

9. #9 trixman22, Apr 29, 2015
    Now that you mention it, bunch of jerks!

Now in all seriousness China glass doesn't take much skill because the majority is mass produced my machines being run by 8 year olds. Also problem with buying knock offs from china is there is no quality control. They are using the cheapest materials they can use. 

Only China rig I would get would be one of those Fabs because the price point on Fabs is just insane. I agree China glass is better suited for some. I have a buddy who will with out fail break his bong every 3-6 months. He should never own brand name as he will just break it. I only bring out my cheap pieces around him(granted my cheap piece is still $150) a china rig just for when he is around might be worth the investment.

If your not really into glass as art then go for some china glass. If you care about the art\\artist aspect of it go local\\name brand

Also when using china glass use a drop down. Never put your nail on china glass. The heat transfer can and will break the china glass.

10. #10 DabsOnTheMountain, Apr 29, 2015
    But is owning one piece this terrible?
    Isn't it good to have one cheap piece of crap piece?
    I'm not saying fill your desk with chinese glass. 

Exactly. There are awesome glassblowers like distilled glass. You can get a functional  semi worked klien for under $200. Then theres a fucking taurus that only vortexes on the drain for over $800.

If it takes such little skill then why are we paying so much for it here? Fabs are amazing, but at my local headshop there were two eggs right next to eachother that were completely different. One was more oval, it was a little ugly actually. And exactly, there is always a reason for one $30 rig. Be it for a friend who breaks shit, travel, or just because your a begginner. The Dr. thinks i'm advocating china glass 100%, I know it's all crap. It's made with shitty glass by unskilled workers. But there is nothing wrong with owning one 30 piece. the same way theres nothing wrong with everyones clothing probably being made in Bangladesh, while they sleep on Indian sheets and blankets. *And these workers have to know something about what they blow because this shit comes out pretty good.

And if you go china route an adapter is unnesecary, because the adapter is worth more than the rig itself! That's the whole point! you don't have to give a shit about it. It was $30. LOL. Do you guys see what I'm getting at?

11. Its cheaper and takes less skill because they use a lathe and the quality control is not the same. unlike mothership (yes currently pay for the hype) where they make everything by hand, excellent quality control and made by some of the highest level glass blowers in the game.

But i would never own a china tube or mothership as long as that hype pricing is there. MS eggs should cost around $1500 kliens/Taurus/balls/straight fabs should be 1200 and minis $700. Not 3.5k, 2.2k and 1.5k.

12. #12 DabsOnTheMountain, Apr 29, 2015
    I still don't see those prices fair. I don't even like mothership pipes in general, nevermind the pricing, I should point that out. I think it's all too much diffusion and too showy and flashy. Some of it is even overly thick if thats even such a thing. Those bases are just awkward. 
    The mini isn't worth more than $400 to me for instance. With how much hype there is surrounding the eggs I don't understand how the price hasn't actually dropped by now. I'm sick of them all, they're everywhere now. I want 14mm minitubes to be the next big thing.

And also quality control dosn't matter that much, all that matters is how it functions. As long as cooled hydrated vapor gets to my mouth without splashing me i'm happy. It's a cheap piece, not a DD. It can be a little lopsided. I don't care. Because my pieces aren't a status symbol. Even If they sent you a piece that's completely unuseable, you ask for another and they send it. The chinese suck at QC but they have good customer service on this site. It's how it works. You can withold their payment until your happy. There are other forums that work with them and build the designs you guys are so pissed off at for existing. There are rarely problems that go unsolved, and there are rarely problems to begin with.

13. #13 WaxPayne, Apr 29, 2015
    Op , I have that fab egg on the way from clean clear glass. It'll be a month before it gets here. While I do buy China glass also have owned numerous American made pieces (Sheldon black, grav labs , treehouse glass (my fav) ) . I have many Chinese pieces as well. I support both international and domestic glass equally and I thought it'd be fun to try out the fab egg without spending 1,200$.

I also have the "wings of liberty snowflake incycler" on the way. It's a torus clone . Both were 151$ shipped (80$ for fab and 70$ for the other) so I'm not expecting amazing pieces but at least these will give me a very rough draft as to how the MS fab and torus function.

14. The WOL incycler is nothing like a torus though, I wouldn't base anything off that. I like stevenlmz79's new torus clone. If he gets the perc right it should be the best funtioning one so far. It's the only functioning incycler besides the cleanclearglass' d-cycler, if you can call that an incycler.

15. #15 WaxPayne, Apr 29, 2015
    WOL snowflake perc
    [​IMG]

Vid : https://youtube.com/watch?v=IXjO6ln5tUQ

Mothership Torus

[​IMG]

Vid:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XkIUt1a1k-g

How is the WOL not based off the Torus ?? :confused:

16. A knock off torus will not give you any idea what a real ms hits like. Not trying to be a dick just tried both and the difference is vast.

17. I figured as much. It was 70$ compared to a 700$ piece so I'm not expecting miraculous results :laughing:

How did u like that clone you tried?

18. It was super airy but small enough to clear easy and the hit was a little rough.
    Now a mothership torus(2k-2.5k) torus hit percectly, perfect amount of drag and one of the smoothest hits i have ever taken. I was actually blown away by the mothership but still doesn't justify the ridiculous pricing.

19. I love the way they cut their slits on the MS . Looks very elegant :bongin: I'm hoping to one day be able to get one.

as i stated, the decision is entirely up to you as the purchaser of the piece.
    you're the one whose gonna use the piece daily, so get what you want...

i just never understood the entire buy a cheap travel rig idea,
    just go buy a pelican case....
    [​IMG]

buying a cheap china glass has one purpose,
    vacation piece...
    [​IMG]