HELP -- Installing HPS + MH ballasts

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by BonghornLeghorn, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I have a wonderful place to grow some plants. I've done a little bit of cab growing with CFL's, but am switching over to MH+HPS.

First off, I am not unfamiliar with electrical, and the task itself doesn't phase me. However, I've never done ballasts before, and need some guidance on what I should be doing.

I've read that I can wire a HPS ballast, but in order to use MH in them I need to buy special conversion bulbs. The HPS ballast, with the ignitor looks intimidating. Is there any way to install a MH ballast + mogul socket and buy HPS lights with a built in ballast? Is there such a thing?

Can someone show me a tutorial that is fairly straightforward in setting up a HPS + ballast? Additionally, do I need a specialized hood for the light, or will I be able to get away with your typical stainless steel reflector that you find at Home Depot?

The space itself is fairly large, it can comfortably fit 6x 5 gallon buckets, and is about 8 feet tall. Cooling is not an issue in this space, and neither is air flow, both are easily resolved. In summer the doors of the area can stay open for natural light and airflow to come in without worry of pedestrians and other apartment dwellers viewing the plants, and in the winter, the doors stay shut and a 1000w space heater is used attached to a thermostat to warmth. This means my limit for the lights HAVE to be 400w, as I only have 15 amp breakers, am limited to one outlet, and my outlets are 120 volts.

Thanks for the replies, and please see the attached pictures for an idea of the space I have. [​IMG]

DSC_0110.png   DSC_0111.png   DSC_0112.png   DSC_0113.png   DSC_0114.png

2. Have you purchased a light yet? If not buy a digital ballast and make sure it supports both bulbs...then its literally as simple and mounting the ballast or setting it somewhere, pluging in two wires ( one from hood to ballast one from ballast to wall) and screwing in the bulb. the best part is you dont need to alter anything to swap bulbs.

3. Hemp^^^ has a very good point, these new models have replaced the cursed conversion bulb, also many models can be dialed up and down depending on your current temp. situation.
    The above pics could prove to be a real issue, as its quiet open and public, it won't take too long for your neighbors to realize you are growing weed in that open cupboard, so some type of air/light lock is required ...also I'd be looking at making it into 2 seperate shelves one for veg the other for bud, with there own lights

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YXDHX6/ref=twister_B00EUMEJRO   400w digital 

4. I ordered my lights from growlights.com. reflector wings, 400w dimmable ballast, and 2 bulbs, one blue end spectrum MH for veg, and a red end spectrum HPS for flower. They both just screw in under the wing fixture. I don't change anything on my ballast except the wattage depending on plant age. ( and I unplug it when I'm changing the bulb)

It's pretty straight forward though. I think you could fit one quite nicely in there, and not have to worry about wasting those rays.

5. That's what's up. Good choice getting the digital.

6. Is this a joke?