Chasing ph

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Mattside, Apr 25, 2015.

1. I am currently running a flood and drain table approx 2x4 using rockwool and hydroton, my flower room is 6x3x6 and I am running the Lucas formula with GH nutes, using tap water left out for 48 hours all under a 600w hps.

My question to everyone is I am currently having issues with pH, every time I adjust it within a few hours to a day max its back up to 7.0 sometimes as high as 8.0 I've stopped constantly putting in pH down as I figure simplicity will self regulate and chemicals can't be better than something natural, also I added a pH stabilizer by house and garden... Not sure how I like it as I don't know if it is really working. So any advice on keeping my reservoir pH in range would be very much appreciated

2. I have found that too high nute ppm can cause ph increases. Try cutting back on ppm and see what happens. Incorrect ph is a critical issue for plant health. You need to fix it

3. What's the ppms and pH of your tap?
    Do you trust the accuracy of your measurements?  

You don't need to set it out that long. A little chlorine won't hurt, but if your tap is full of other crap, well... you may need to filter or something.

Did you condition the rockwool? Soaked in 5.3 pHed water for 12-24 hours?
    Rockwool is naturally slightly Alkaline. Hence the need to condition it.

You shouldn't need to be adding stabilizers or the like. I'd change out the res, lower the ppms a little from wherever they're at now.
    Set the fresh res at 5.3. I say 5.3 to help force the internal pH of the rockwool down quicker. Don't go lower than 5.3.
    Monitor the rise and adjust back to 5.5 daily if swings over 6.5.
    If it stabilizes around 6.0ish, leave it alone. Just pH your top off to 5.8. Then adjust the res to the same, after topping off.
    Only ever adjusting again if it swings over 6.5.

4. just flush at 5.8 imo

and as the others said, ensure you're at the right ppm for your plants

if solution is too strong, the plants eat more water than nutes which in turn makes ppm rise and will alter ph

there's absolutely no reason you should have to ph your res directly.

also, make sure there is enough DO in your res

5. Agreed, while you don't state your nute strengths, too high will cause pH drift due to imbalanced uptake.
    However, I've not seen a hot solution raise the pH as much or as fast as stated.

6. indeed

something else is surely off[​IMG]

7. What root supplements are you using? Add some silica blast 2ml per gallon if you already haven't, it will benefit your roots and stabilize your pH.

8. adding more junk will help??

not sure about that

9. Silica is not Junk, in fact it's the first thing that should be added to any Hydro type system. Many growers neglect the root system, research silica and decide for yourself. I've used it for 6 years.

10. i've never used it[​IMG]

11. The equivalent GH product is armor Si

12. It may not completely solve it, but it will head off more serious problems later.

14. To lower ppms: remove some solution and replace with water. Or just top off with water if the level is low.
    To raise ppms: add nutes. 

15. Thanks I feel like I've read up and asked all over and no1 answered I will try some things and see how they respond

16. Oh I guess after reading the answer out loud it makes perfect sense... Add water and lower ppm by diluting the "parts per million" in the water... I feel like an idiot now

17. No worries we've all had our moments...