I Love Graham Hancock

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Cydonia420, Apr 25, 2015.

1. If you love weird shit you gotta read this guy, he's awesome! He's covered everything from lost civilizations, Mars and psychedelic shrooms. He's recently made science news by confronting Zahi Hawass about redating the Sphinx due to other scientific research. This really REALLY pisses Hawass off and its hilarious! I love you Graham Hancock and Ima smoke a fatty now just for you!

2. What is your favourite book of his because I want to read some of his stuff

3. I haven't read any of his stuff but I have heard a few of his interviews in different places. He's an interesting guy and I'm still not sure what size of grain of salt to take him with. I've heard him on podcasts talking a lot about hallucinogenics and I've heard a lot of his interviews on radio (coast to coast mainly) talking about the ancient civilizations. Definitely an interesting dude, and its too bad they took away his TED talk.

4. Right, god forbid we alter our consciousness.

I started reading Fingerprint of the Gods but never found time to finish.

The little bit i read he was showing various old maps with the coast of antarctica without the ice.

5. I feel one of two ways about him and his stuff.. either humor at how ridiculous he is.. or sadness over the fact that people actually buy into his stuff.

6. I enjoy listening to Coast to Coast, but I don't believe very much of what I hear on the program.  What I do find interesting, though, is how people could create a plausible universe with very few facts.  The paradigm is first assumed to be true, then some of the holes get filled with bits and pieces of random information that support what is first assumed to be true.  I guess that is how mythologies work.  It's interesting to me.

7. There is nothing Scientific about Graham Hancock. It's funny that this thread is in the "Science and Nature" forum. 

8. Hancock is suspect at best

9. Ill go way out on a short limb and say you've never read any of his books?

It's been the flavor of the science section lately.. people posting pseudoscience crap and calling it science.

I am not retarded enough to buy one of his books.. so I've only read bits and pieces and those bits and pieces were more than enough to tell me he is a joke. He is as educational as The History Channel's Ancient Aliens and The Discovery Channel's Mermaids special.. which is not educational.

11. Fave book is Mars Mystery hence my name :) And I knew about him long before Ancient Aliens. While I agree with the views of that show hes a bit more credible and deals with much more than aliens.

12. He isn't credible though.. Graham Hancock is to science and anthropology as Dr. Oz is to medicine and health. They are people who prey on the lack of knowledge and/or fears of the masses of sheeple so they can peddle their products to them and make money off of them. Ever wonder why Hancock doesn't just release his "scientific" findings rather than put them in books that you have to buy? It's because he is in it for the money.. and knows that science fiction posing as nonfiction sells better than science fiction or nonfiction alone.

I live near the Edgar Cayce museum.. which is a hotbed of crackpots. The Ancient Alien guys were there before, Hancock was there, saw a few crackpot holistic doctors there.. and they all want to charge you money for the "privilege" of being educated by them and that right there should scream bullshit to a reasonable person. I was even going to go to a few so I could get a good laugh.. but they usually charge $100-$400 for a ticket.. and this is at a place where most everything is free because the founder (while a crackpot too) was focused more so on enlightenment than profit. People like Hancock are modern day snake oil salesman who found their niche..

13. 1. Of all that you give no evidence that he isnt credible, just random babbling points.

2. He isnt a scientist he is a journalist.

14. 1. Can't prove a negative. That's like asking me to provide evidence if I said God isn't real and you say he is.. the burden of proof is on you. In this case, burden of proof is on the OP to show how he is credible.. or if you'd like to take a shot at it. Besides his books that he pawns off to the masses of ignorant sheeple, what credible work has he done? Dude never even published a credible, peer reviewed paper.

2. You're right.. he isn't a scientist, but guess where we are.. the science forum.. a concept that escapes you. Besides his ideas confirming the delusions you already have, why take his fictional journalism as anything scientific or even educational? Tell me why you let the Dr. Oz of anthropology dupe you..

15. If you say he isnt credible, that would imply he has made a truth claim that isnt truthful, in which case you can falsify it (supply evidence to the contrary)

From the very little i read of his book, he didnt make any particular claim but rather presented X and didnt support any particular conclusion. Maybe he does with some claims idk, just not what I read.

As far as the science section, the questions are left open for scientists and accumulated evidence to sort out...

16. Hi intellectuals!
    :wave:

17. Plural? ;-)

18. I will say the OP has nothing to do with science or nature

19. More like when someone says that he is credible.. they provide proof of his credibility, which has yet to be done.. but I can tell you this, he was never educated on anthropology or anything to do with science. All he has done was sold books and tickets to lectures.. never published a single scientific paper. His books start off with sociological related things and then he wrote a book on the ark of the covenant and it sold well and that was when he realized he can peddle shit and people will eat it up like it is caviar and switched his focus of writing to that stuff, never publishing another book on sociological problems again.

So what makes him credible?

20. Lemme simplify
    Hi Manti n Norse!
    :wave: